Sony PlayStation release schedules?

That may be true of the past… considering Playstation’s lack of games for the rest of the generation, I’m left wondering how Playstation will continue to advertise “games” when they have only 1 game a year (if that)? I guess they could start advertising Wolverine’s CG teaser trailer on repeat for the next 2-3 years?

1 Like

They have pushed Spider Man 2 since 2021. They will push Wolverine for many years. In fact, the fact we have no trailer at all right now does not bode well for a 2024 release.

I find funny that Sony is relying so much on 3rd parties deals when their 1st party struggles. Reminds me of Xbox one.

3 Likes

Why? We didn’t get any update on Spider-Man 2 until May of this year and then it came out in October. There’s absolutely no reason why the same thing couldn’t happen for Wolverine. We hadn’t heard about either of them since September 2021.

Same reason why the fact that we haven’t seen whatever Xbox game in years (or was just announced) doesn’t mean it isn’t coming in 6-18 months. Games get announced with dates only a few months away all the time.

We’ve seen as much of Wolverine as we had of Spider-Man this time last year.

3 Likes

They just released Spiderman 2.

2 Likes

So? We know Insomniac have separate teams. There’s no reason why they couldn’t show Wolverine at TGAs or the next showcase and release it next fall.

Seems delusional and crunch sounds insane.

5 Likes

They released Spider-Man in 2018, Miles in November 2020, Ratchet in June 2021 and Spider-Man 2 in October 2023. It’s not delusional at all.

When has crunch ever stopped Sony from doing anything?

Disingenuous comparisons, Miles is not a full game, and it’s two years apart from the original despite re using assets.

4 Likes

Insomniac are very efficient but I don’t expect Wolverine next year

People also ignore that 3 of their recent games all use the same city, 2 expanded but that’s still a huge amount of time saved, something Wolverine won’t have the luxury of

5 Likes

Actually this reminds me exactly of the first three years of PS4 - lackluster launch that was padded for years with third-party releases until they had their first big exclusive with Uncharted 4 (believe it or not, IGN actually wrote an article in 2015 talking about their pisspoor release schedule up to that point).

But yeah, it’s cute how everyone forgets Spidey 2 (and almost all of Sony’s PS5 releases) have suffered massive delays… and this year only saw a single Sony exclusive released, nary an article or mention on all those podcasts that supposedly care about those things….

9 Likes

I see this got moved into its own thread :smile: Surfice to say, Ive been raising red flags about PlayStation’s lack luster IP and games lineup / strategy for years now. If I went back and found all my comments there’s probably a rough draft outline for a thesis for everything wrong with PlayStation these days.

I even have an open bet with a user here that Playstation wont have a E3 worthy showcase until its time to reveal the PS6. Things are not going well over at Sony in terms of “games”. I don’t celebrate this, so much as I find it frustrating as a gamer that has owned every Playstation, its shocking how boring Playstation has become.

4 Likes

Sony PlayStation release schedules?

Middle Of Nowhere

6 Likes

PS has no games.

7 Likes

No games yet media is silent and content on terrorizing Microsoft/Xbox.

3 Likes

I can’t wait for the media showing their true nature when they will inevitably defend Sony when things about to go south( the signs are there). They will be fine of course, but shareholders are demanding growth in terms of profits, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they still continue their GAAS initiatives in the expense of their single player games. I expect Sony to have fewer new single player IP’s this gen and beyond.

6 Likes

I know people don’t like to hear this but Sony gets a pass because they’ve BEEN delivering for years at this point. That gives them more leeway when they have a down year.

If they have successive down years while Xbox starts to deliver, the narrative will shift.

1 Like

You don’t lower your expectations of someone or something great just because of track records. Imo, it’s even worst since we know what they’re capable but they’re just not delivering.

Also, the Xbox and 360 is era was fine, yet Xbox is still being bullied. They legit only fucked the Xbox one era. So far, they have made up for it, yet their efforts continue to be ignored and tossed aside.

3 Likes

They have delivered banger AAA games every year of this gen that have been GOTY contenders. Even this year, which was a down year first party wise, they still did it. That’s why they have trust from people.

If Wolverine is 2025 and they don’t do that next year, then people will start to ask questions. Especially if they haven’t announced any major singleplayer games.

Microsoft has as well and AA bangers. Their games have also been more interesting than anything coming from Sony.

It’s obvious you’re just interested in keeping the status quo, so I rather not continue this conversation with you.

2 Likes

I’m not saying this is how I feel about Sony. I agree with you that Xbox has more interesting games and I am frustrated by Sony’s homogenous output. I’m just explaining why the industry gives them more slack than they give Xbox.

They had Horizon/Ragnarok last year and Ratchet/Returnal the year before and TLOU/Ghost/Miles the year before that and Spider-Man this year. That means that people trust there will be something of that calibre next year. As soon as there isn’t, that trust will start to go away.