Sony PlayStation release schedules?

The answer is simply just bias.

3 Likes

Except this isn’t even just the second year in the last decade for Sony to have almost nothing to offer - recall the pretty anemic post-ps4-launch Sony support (there were articles written about their state back then, by IGN even) - so that argument doesn’t hold much water when “defending” the industry’s supposed lack of bias, or at least their unwillingness to hold Sony to the same account they’ve held Xbox (and others) to over the years. As @LavishAssassin stated, the answer is a hell of a lot simpler than any of the mental gymnastics-driven narratives I’ve heard over the years to argue otherwise.

8 Likes

I’m not defending anything. I was simply explaining what they would say if you asked “why don’t you give Sony the same shit you give Xbox” and they would say “because Sony just gave me Spider-Man 2 and Ragnarok.” I’m not saying that’s right or accurate, but it is what people would say. They’ll say the same thing about Xbox if they have close to 10 years of putting out AAA banger after AAA banger while Sony struggles to get games out, which could very well be what we’re heading towards.

I am not in favour of the status quo. If I was I wouldn’t be on this forum.

Sony doesn’t even have this lol.

3 Likes

Their current run started in 2015 with Bloodborne and then really started in 2016 with Uncharted 4. 7-8 years counts as “close to 10 years” IMO. But fair if you disagree.

By your own definition Bloodborne would not count as a “AAA banger” btw.

3 Likes

Why not? Soulsborne games sell incredible well and Bloodborne is considered one of the best. It’s probably my favorite PS exclusive. It’s by definition an AAA game, and an absolute banger when you see critical and player’s reception.

I mean, the PS4 had a bigger and, considered by many, “better”, catalogue of games than the Xbox one, so the Series X was the console that need to prove itself in terms of exclusivity.

Xbox kinda fumbled it by not releasing any next gen exclusive in 2020. Yeah, they had a good 2021 but it took Xbox 8 months to release their first exclusives. And as Xbox was gaining steam, they had a terrible 2022 with 0 AAA exclusives.

In my opinion there’s no generalized PS5 bias or anything like that. People cut the PS5 some slack because the PS4 proved that Sony could deliver yearly AAA exclusives.

bloodborne did not sell “incredibly” well lol.

1 Like

I said that the genre as a whole sell well. Idk about how much of a success Bloodborne was, but I know that it at least surpassed it’s financial expectations, got great reviews and is talked about until this day as one of the best soulsborne game. It pretty much fits every requirement of a good AAA game.

Read what I said, I have repeatedly said the first couple years after launch - nowhere did I say Xbox’s output was better, in fact I said nothing about the matter. If twisting people’s words to dismiss an observation that many here share is the only “contribution” you’re bringing…

3 Likes

I don’t think that saying that lots of journalists in the industry have a PS5 bias is productive. We should look at Xbox past mistakes and learn with it. PlayStation released more AAA games in the last few years, that’s why they have more attention and mindshare.

Xbox is behind in that department, they are the ones that need to prove themselves(I’m talking exclusively about AAA exclusives here, pretty much every other area has Xbox as a winner), and they need to this by releasing MORE games than Sony per year, which still didn’t happen.

I’m comparing the two to show why there isn’t a generalized PS5 bias. Even this year, which was pretty weak for Sony, they had one AAA first party exclusive and Final Fantasy, which was not developed by Sony but the PS5 is the only way to play it. That makes 2 AAA exclusives in a bad year.

Things are getting better for Xbox this year, and they will probably continue in 2024 with Hellblade and Avowed. If Xbox keeps releasing multiple good AAA games per year they will win a lot of mindshare, but they need to earn it first.

Yet again, I’m talking about first-party, and Square isn’t first party, so you’re contradicting your own standards and the entire “AAA” argument is beyond tired and meaningless when most of you all don’t even agree on what the hell a AAA title is.

It is productive to want the media to hold Sony to account the same as they have Xbox…. It’s literally why Xbox is in the amazing position they’re in: they took their blows and adapted to feedback. Gaslighting people is about the least useful thing on this forum.

5 Likes

For me, PlayStation 5 has surpassed what PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 gave me in the first three years of their respective life cycle.

1. PlayStation 5
  • God of War Ragnarok - 9.5/10 and my 2022 game of the year, 2nd best game of the PlayStation 5/Xbox Series generation for me
  • Horizon Forbidden West - 9.0/10
  • Marvel’s Spider Man: Miles Morales - 9.0/10
  • Marvel’s Spider Man 2 - 9.0/10
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 9.0/10
  1. PlayStation 4
  • Ratchet & Clank 2016 - 8.5/10
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End - 8.5/10
  • Alienation - 8.5/10
  • The Order: 1886 - 7.0/10
  • Infamous: First Light - 7.0/10
  • Knack - 6.5/10
  • Shadow of the Beast - 6.5/10
  1. PlayStation 3
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 9.5/10 and my 2009 game of the year
  • Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune - 8.5/10 and my 2007 game of the year

PlayStation 5 for me has blown away PlayStation 3 and while it will look slightly better than it does now, PlayStation 3 will still end up as the worst of the three. PlayStation 5 is ahead of PlayStation 4 now but it was 2017-2020 that made PS4 my #1 all time console for me coming into this generation.

For anyone wondering, Xbox Series X has blown away Xbox One and Xbox 360 for me.

Future wise for Sony, I have Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Marvel’s Wolverine and im still waiting to see Sony reveal a lot of their games. I’m waiting on Cory Barlog’s new IP, TLOUP3, next Uncharted game, Bend’s next game, Tsushima 2, Horizon online monster hunter game that looks like Immortals Fenyx Rising art style wise, Bluepoint’s next game to see if it’s a remake I actually want, Housemarque’s next game as Returnal is the one game this generation I wish I could play through plus I know one or two other studios have a survival horror game and whatnot waiting in the wings so for me, I have a lot im looking forward to.

Funny thing is that while so many people complain about either side, im sitting here happy as hell!!! lmao :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I already said that about FFXVI, but the game is only available on PS5, so the the general audience, which controls the mindshare, it is by all means a ps5 exclusive which Sony takes credits for. It isn’t fair but it is what happens. I’m not justifying it, just saying that it happens.

Most would agree that a AAA game is a full priced game with a bigger budget than other smaller games. It’s not meaningless because AAA games usually generate much more buzz and popularity, which correlates to why Sony has more mindshare.

Anyway, I’m just talking about it because I saw a lot of talk about some extreme ideas that Xbox should do to “punish” The Game awards and gaming media in general with things like “Xbox should leave TGA and make it own award show” or “Phil should block IGN from reviewing its games” which contribute nothing to any discussion. Just giving my 2 cents about this whole thing.

Just expect them to grind to an inconsistant stutter. They’ve already removed half a dozen games off the schedule.

Microsofts is pointless to try and guess. They will buy publishers at random.

1 Like

Indeed. As Microsoft calls it, just another random Tuesday…

6 Likes

I was going to buy a ps5 when slim came out but because it looks horrid ill wait for pro

2 Likes

I see a whole lot of artificial conditions being used to frame the narrative to be beneficial to Sony and detrimental to Microsoft.

I also see flat out blatant denial. Microsoft already releases more games than Sony does.

5 Likes

Gonna be waiting for PS6 if you want something that isn’t ugly lol

4 Likes