XboxEra Community Hangout |OT3| Setting Low Expectations

Cross posting this from XGS OT

2 Likes

What do you mean by (Microsoft is) too afraid then? I’m not sure they’d turn down decent opportunities with any company if it was the best use of their resources.

I think his point was that MS is clearly unwilling to fund japanese exclusive games, the last AAA was Dead Rising 3, then they tried Scalebound, a trainwreck with casualties, then nothing.

4 Likes

What makes anyone think it’s not the other way around? It could easily be the reality that Japanese Studios are unwilling to accept Microsoft money over accepting money from Japanese Companies they already have personal relationships with?

3 Likes

Every single one? Come on mate, money have no allegiance.

1 Like

That would be extremely strange. Imagine not accepting free money… Only if Xbox is absolutely despised by these companies.

1 Like

Yeah I think there has to be a Japanese angle to it too. Not the biggest reason, but a factor.

We’re talking about a society that has honor and values, not the typical American corporations, right?

2 Likes

PS5 will have nice lead against Xbox by 2023 which mean this type of deals will continue be cheaper for Sony

2 Likes

Lmao come on Brit.

6 Likes

Please, SE or the likes are as scummy as any western corp, lmao.

Samurai does not exist anymore.

If xbox comes with the money none of these studios are gonna say no. But based on what we are seeing (at least publicly) they dont do that .

1 Like

That doesn’t mean they don’t have their own preferences for who they do business with. It’s still people making decisions based on their personal relationships and having to deal with the impact and stigma that comes along with it.

1 Like

Koei Tecmo president said this, his own words…XD

5 Likes

Sure then you gotta explain to all the stakeholders why you rejected guaranteed money from Microsoft for a game.

Phil has made clear that he wants to bring on Asian studios and expand the reach of Xbox in Asia. The deals they’re making on Game Pass (Dragon’s Quest, Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, Octopath Traveler) are how they’re trying to break into the market further. If they can address xCloud/Game Pass adoption in Japan, you’ll see a lot more partnership, I’d bet.

For now, I’d be willing to say that Phil hasn’t blindly turned down any opportunities for Japanese exclusives. However, I doubt many studios are considering Xbox for exclusive opportunities with the vast majority of the player base being on PS/Switch over there. If xCloud finds success in the market, I bet you see that change.

2 Likes

They didn’t care when MS was paying the big money on 360 era, they wouldn’t care if Phil arrives with a shiny bag of money tomorrow.

1 Like
4 Likes

They got exclusives when PS2 had like 80% of the gaming market (not console) singlehandly, come on guys…MS is not dropping the big money there, it’s so obvious.

1 Like

Dead Rising 3 is Canadian only the IP is Japanese (and really hasn’t been since DR1). The last big Japanese exclusive on Xbox was… I can’t really think of one, but it was probably something around Ninja Gaiden 2 or Lost Odyssey, so 2008ish… The last Japanese exclusive I can think of at all is D4 which isn’t even the full game as the later seasons were cancelled. PSO2 counts in the loosest possible way I guess? (it’s on everything BUT Xbox over in Japan)

4 Likes