Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

So… like Mario? Ducks for cover.

Oh, believe me I like Capcom and think they would be a fantastic get if that were a possibility, I’m just trying to bring some perspective to all the disingenuous representation of Sega is all. If getting Sega and Capcom were a possibility, I’d be over the moon there’s no doubt about it (even if some content was kept multiplatform - again it’s all about Game Pass).

Mayhaps….

4 Likes

I do love the alliteration of that name :wink:

Legacy good games, its kinda like “everyone has this in their accounts” games.

gsc game world-stalker 2 should be bought if the game does well

Also, in case anyone didn’t realize how much Yakuza has been growing….

https://twitter.com/thetojodojo/status/1525135811976601601?s=21&t=UgEpE65H7PNAMnBjRvIOEw

I wish it were that simple.:disappointed:

9 Likes

If you think about, Sega is in a position where they can expand their numbers more than Capcom who is already in a normally high figures in the industry.

4 Likes

Yeah my philosophy has been for a while:

CAPCOM: Near their potential peak

SEGA: Plenty of room to grow and currently on the rise

Either would be solid additions to any first party.

4 Likes

I don’t see Sega joining Xbox unless Sega Sammy dissolves (or sell Sega Corp.) and I don’t see it happening. It is something akin Kadokawa and From Software. Why would Kadokawa sell From Software, the goose that lays golden eggs. If Sega’s initiatives succeed, they will grow immensively so I don’t see Sega selling Sega Corp.

We would be lucky to get any exclusive game from Sega (probably won’t happen from Japanese branch at least).

1 Like

Why couldn’t Microsoft just buy all of Sega Sammy Holdings? They are currently valued at $3.9 Billion and if Microsoft didn’t want the pachinko and pachislot side of the business they could sell it, I’m sure Bandai Namco would be interested in the Sammy side.

This article answers your question because the various departments within a Japanese corporate company are interrelated.

Because Microsoft does not buy things like this.

If Sega Corp was an independent entity (before Sammy acquisition) they would have bougth it. Probably.

1 Like

Hmm this seems to suggest Japanese companies sell shares to other Japanese companies so they can effectively group together to prevent foreign buyouts. However states it would still be possible.

This is definitely the case for Square Enix.

With SEGA they own 11.5% of their own stock and there is quite alot of Korean owned stock too, definitely seems more feasible.

1 Like

Aren’t divestitures pretty normal? Especially after acquisitions or change of leadership/strategy.

Microsoft aren’t immune from it.

Many moons ago Microsoft sold DreamWorks Interactive to EA…

EDIT: We just saw Square Enix do it with CD & Eidos.

Smite is on the cusp of genuinely being huge, but disgustingly bad servers and constant bugs from the spaghetti code hold it back. More resources would be extraordinarily huge for them.

1 Like

Tribes was so fucking good back in the day :frowning:

1 Like

I’m with you on Sega. I’ve played every Sega console since the master system. They bring legacy and heritage in gaming internationally for Xbox. It would be a huge brand statement globally if acquired.

And that’s said with me always hating Sonic games. I think they all suck. Always have. I like the Sonic character tho.

1 Like

Is it a lot though for a child friendly game that came out on a multitude of platforms? (assuming you are talking about 2010 year game). Or you mean on a yearly basis ?

I mean you have blizzard now. Wouldn’t it be best to just make Heroes of the Storm relevant? Or start over with a new MOBA.

To me it looks like Sonic is up there with the top of the top.

Only the following 15 Sony games have sold more than Sonic Colors (according to Best selling Sony games | Video Game Sales Wiki | Fandom )

1. The Last of Us & The Last of Us Remastered (24.0 million) [2]
  2. Marvel’s Spider-Man(PS4) (20.00 million)
  3. Uncharted 4 (16 million)[2]
  4. God of War (PS4) - 20 million[2]
  5. Gran Turismo 5 (11.95 million) [3]
  6. Gran Turismo 4 (11.73 million) [3]
  7. Horizon: Zero Dawn (10 million)[4]
  8. Gran Turismo II (9.37 million) [3]
  9. Gran Turismo Sport (8 million) [2]
  10. Days Gone(8 million)[1]
  11. Ghost of Tsushima PS4(8 million)[2]
  12. Crash Bandicoot (6.82 million)[5]
  13. Uncharted 3 (6.6+ million) [6]
  14. Uncharted 2 (6.5 million) [6]
  15. inFAMOUS Second Son (6 million)[2]
1 Like

But Sonic Colors was not an exclusive no?