Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

I agree Rocksteady, Monolith and WB Montreal would all be great gets.

3 Likes

WB IP licensing is the biggest issue holding back a purchase. The main issues are the uncertainty of rights towards streaming. DC IPS have royalty agreements with different owners with regards to specific characters. WB would have to be owned in full and I don’t think that’s what Discovery wants.

First

Big name IP without people to work on them is going to become dormant IP.

If you can’t get both, labor is the more important piece in today’s market.

1 Like

Only failed by 22 before you :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

First page**

4 Likes

I know… but there aren’t many studios out there making those style of ‘blockbuster’ games which aren’t already first party elsewhere.

Dontnod could be another one.

Hazelight (A Way Out is amazing) although not single player.

Quantic Dream and Giant Sparrow maybe?

Each and every studio can make similar games with enough budget.

No. You will never convince me that “BLUE BOX Game Studios” will ever make a game – EVER, let alone one similar to a higher tier studio.

5 Likes

I’m sure most of them ‘can’ but it’s whether they ‘want’ to. I suspect the Coalition could make a fantastic racing game if they wanted to but it’s not currently their ‘thing’.

The studios I mentioned either have made these style of games or are currently/still making these style of games.

It’s not necessarily budget limitations but comes down to whether the studios want to make those style of games. Therefore IMO it makes sense to acquire studios which clearly enjoy making those style of games (and the relevant IP), so that they will continue to make them post acquisition.

• Asobo & Focus Entertainment (A Plague Tale)
  • Avalanche (Contraband, mad max 2, just cause 5 and Crackdown4)
  • Certain affinity (Monster Hunter like game)
  • IOI (Hitman/Kane & Lynch & freedom fighters)
  • Crytek (Ryse and Crysis)

Maybe a remedy ( Control, Alan wake and quantum break)

Playtonic games ( Yooka-Laylee, Banjo and Conker )

5 Likes

We don’t know the details how Square West ended up on Embracer hands, but one could wonder that there’s no “legal exploit” to buy assets from a publicy traded company while being under an acquisition review. So my guesses for this E3 would be

• Asobo
  • IOI
  • Certain Affinity
  • Crytek

Remedy for example is publicy traded.

1 Like

How many of you said “people don’t buy Sonic” or that Sega isn’t as viable a pickup as Capcom? A lot, and yet Sonic Colors sold 5.8 million units, which is literally right behind Capcom’s biggest hit during that same timeframe - Resident Evil: Village. Let that sink in… for all the talk about Capcom (despite only having a title that sold above 8 million units after MHW released - meaning 40 years of games that never sold that much), I think it’s time for some of you to recognize that market cap is not necessarily reflective of popularity in every instance. Beyond that, Sega had several titles within the multi-million selling range - nearly all of their titles actually. Thus, they’re definitely more popular and consistent-sellers than a lot of you seem to realize; Japanese games, in general, don’t sell the numbers that I think some of you believe they do (with a few rare exceptions - FFXIV, for example).

18 Likes

But Daniel. No one likes SEGA. They don’t make good games.

And if they did buy them, the entirety of ATLUS would walk out!

Are you implying I’ve been lied to?!?:smirk:

15 Likes

Sega’s catalogue is more spread on the numbers, Capcom is concentrated on few new releases and some evergreens, MHR and RE8 together sold like 15 million units. Whoever is saying Sega is not viable is completely on the 2000-2010 mindset, the last time they had a flop was a Sakura Wars mobile game that supposedly cost them millions of dollars, outside of that all their sequels surpasses the previous ones in sales.

4 Likes

Just get them both :wink:

Although personally for me even if Capcom is/was more successful it would still be the slightly younger uglier sister between the two :rofl:

2 Likes

Sonic is one of the most perplexing franchise in gaming. Most of the games are okay, to some being straight up bad, and yet they keep selling well.

2 Likes

I don’t think Atlus would walk out but I would want them to still be on Switch.

Switch is like 90% of the JP gaming market so I don’t think it can just be ignored unless it’s a small studio pickup like Platinum.

I think that’s agreeable terms for Atlus games on Game Pass forever.

1 Like

Me personal opinion is, I don’t mind if future publisher acquisitions remain multiplat (especially the Japanese pubs), but either way works. It’s all about fueling Game Pass.

I think clearly the best two options are SEGA and CAPCOM, and Square literally shot themselves in the foot when it comes to being valued.

8 Likes

I long understood the importance of Sega… Thanks to Xbox Era offcourse :grinning:

Its games are not for me but I understand the appeal

Sonic is the best gaming movie franchise till date as well

Edit: And best thing about Sega is that ‘Sega series S’ sounds very good… Like a melody to my ears

1 Like