Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

So what does that matter at all in regards to how large of a reach or engagement that franchise has?

1 Like

Can we not bring in the “Xbox can’t acquire in Japan” argument again? Especially since that’s one analyst making the assessment.

4 Likes

Our resident Xbox Era analyst (and expert on release dates) has said so as well though

3 Likes

Do you mean Hindle?

I don’t think he ever said they “can’t”. He said they “won’t”. I agree with him on that regarding the publishers at least.

2 Likes

I’m just talking sh*t lol

2 Likes

After hearing about A44 games Flintlock Seige of Dawn how would we feel about Xbox going after them for the Action RPG/souls type of Dev? They are in New Zealand i don’t think Xbox has anyone in that area. They seem to be punching above their weight and pushing their capabilities with each game. Xbox money could help then grow and hit those goals and could probably grow them into a serious AAA developer.

I think the consensus for Xbox going forward with individual studios is to have a Undead Labs, Playground Games relationship. Work with them on multiple games through a second party relationship, then acquire.

2 Likes

Speaking of Sega, they’re doing well. Cross-posting this from the Market Analysis thread to show what a great pickup they would be for Microsoft.

Sega doin well with their Sonic movies, plans for a 3rd one and a TV series.

Revenue $2.49b +15.6% YoY Operating Income $248.7m +492% YoY

Expecting an increase in revenue and new title releases in FY23.

16 titles to be released in FY23 for a total of 13.95m units, up from 13 titles in FY22 and 8.77m units.

2 Likes

Out of all the big western and eastern publishers in video game industry 3/9 publishers are for sale. In terms of the west Ea and take two are not selling. Wb and Ubisoft both up for sale. In the east bandio namco, sega, capcom and Konami all increased profits from the previous year. The only company that seems like it will sell in the east is square Enix.

Out of Ubisoft, wb games and square Enix

Ubisoft will the gulimorts still want control or will they sell and let Microsoft take control. In my opnion Xbox should get Ubisoft plus on Xbox game pass.If there is a big company like tencent , apple or Amazon might be a defensive purchase if they don’t want to sell to competitor Xbox should keep strong relationship

I feel like wb is the best opinion and most likely to sell as wb discovery need money because the debt they are in. If Xbox can buy out the licenses out right that’s the move. They might have to pay a lot of money to buy game licenses out right with studios . 5 billion studios and 10 billion ip so around 15 billion

Square Enix would be hard to get because of the company being in Japan. The upside is owning a franchise like final fantasy but I believe if they buy them all there games would have to be mutiplat. I feel like the other problem if dragon quest and kingdom hearts aren’t fully owned by square Enix. Xbox might decide to buy to expand in Japan and final fantasy on mobile would be big for Xbox to break in the eastern mobile phone market

1 Like

It basically seems like the Japanese gaming industry in general is booming

and you love to see it!

1 Like

This was the sales for Sonic Colors: Ultimate during its release last fiscal year.

1 Like

Xbox should just buy Sega Sammy as a whole and then trade the Sammy side to Konami for it’s gaming side, win win for everyone :grin:

3 Likes

Don’t know if you saw, but Konami just had their most profitable year ever, and it was thanks to games… lol.

ahem… NOT FOR SALE!

8 Likes

What games did they even release?

Living in the dark side and embracing disappointments these days… That’s kind of life right now

Being ultra optimistic and expecting ABK deal getting signed in this very OT

Japan market focused games (Momotaro, eBaseball which is nothing like eFootball, that recent Yu-Gi-Oh game) ROM collections that are cheap to make like Castlevania advance, arcade games continue to bring in revenue like Bombergirl (which recently got a JP only PC release).

Momotaro in particular is a Switch evergreen and sold millions. I think the Switch entry outsold the entire Silent Hill series.

They’re very Japan focused nowadays but they are still a gaming company. Not a pachinko company believe it or not.

This is why I wish Western Journalists would do more research on the JP market because they are often so clueless about it. They’re the ones spreading the “Konami is just pachinko” (also why I trust nothing Journalists say about JP devs/pubs, like Grubb saying Square is slimming down for an acquisition when my above post says the opposite.)

2 Likes

It seems like a lot of japanese companies are seriously expanding.

It goes to show that once again, insiders don’t have any informations on imminent acquisitions. Even Grubb said that you shouldn’t take what they are saying as any kind of confirmation.

8 Likes

Obviously, these acquisitions are unpredictable, but I seriously doubt MS or anyone else are buying any major Japanese publisher.

Decent amount of mid-sized Japanese devs though :wink:

1 Like