Sony PlayStation lays off 900, around 8% cut, and shuts down studio(s) [2024-02-27]

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1762464211769172450

5 Likes

Ouch…

Wait, that’s crazy. For a smaller company in compare to Xbox, that’s freaking huge.

5 Likes

Damn rough year for gaming and the overall job market. This system is broken when good performing businesses and brand still need to do these brutal moves.

3 Likes

Not surprising. It was coming. It’s sad, but yeah, it’s Sony.

1 Like

Does that mean they’re going to slow down on VR effort because damn that is a big loss if they’re responsible for VR efforts

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1762466850317684911?t=Qr2hSQikvQBIQ8_XzhwITw&s=19

As unfortunate as it is, I hope the media reports on this the same way they did with the previous layoffs.

10 Likes

With first party being too costly even in the normal space, imagine it for VR with Sony’s budgets, probably doesn’t make the most sense, better rely on 3rd party there maybe.

1 Like

This is probably relevant here too.

5 Likes

Also, wasn’t this studio working on a live service game too?

1 Like

So are we going for pity point to the company, or full blown hate on them just like with Microsoft? What’s worse is that the headline said PlayStation as in its own branch. Can’t avoid this one.

This year is looking brutal across the job market specifically to jobs with the threat of AI replacement. A friend of mine recently got laid off, he was in a data team that was downsized because a lot of the data analysis steps are now done by AI…

2 Likes

Jason said Playstation, Tom said Sony.

Interesting!

1 Like

https://x.com/playstation/status/1762464349619204466?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

Damn, that guy who cover Rockstars games pulled no punches.

1 Like

ON twitter so far I’ll say reaction is different than the other layoffs. However, overall it all sucks and hopefully studios reflect and start looking more at AA productions because expensive AAA production doesn’t seem sustainable for most

4 Likes

Hating a specific company for doing layoffs doesn’t help anyone. Those clowns that pretended it was somehow unique to Microsoft just make me mad because when it’s narrated like that people miss the real and root issues of this system and nothing gets solved that way when energy isn’t the same.

7 Likes

Just thinking… isn’t Playstation London the main studio concentrating on Playstation VR?

Perhaps they plan to drop VR too.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me. Sony is known for sink or swim on products. If you manage to learn to swim, they’re not even focusing on you anymore, so bye bye.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see how the same media members who acted like MS was satan incarnate will now justify this as necessary and positive.

10 Likes

It wasn’t even just the media, but it was also game devs and gamers

9 Likes

Half of the number of Xbox layoffs, despite a massive difference in the workforce of Microsoft’s gaming studios is quite crazy to be honest.

3 Likes