Sony PlayStation lays off 900, around 8% cut, and shuts down studio(s) [2024-02-27]

It’s silly to say we are being console warrior when asked where’s the doom and gloom. It doesn’t have to be that. It’s just a simple loyalty and hypocrisy.

7 Likes

images like this is always the worst because you just never know when cuts are going to happen. It’s why I could never be in management because you have to have to a poker face when meeting your workforce even though you know the harsh news

https://twitter.com/nathan_brown/status/1762466931070619950

7 Likes

Hot take, that is media. Klob is media. Shinobi is media. Devs going on twitter are representing their companies

1 Like

Not to give credit or lessen the blow or even bring any platform war, but at least Xbox has yet to hit closure on studios. They must have done something “right” to avoid the worst case scenario, so that’s something to look into. Layoff though is always the unfortunate outcome.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1762470563182727362

2 Likes

https://x.com/tomwarren/status/1762473373249032499?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

2 Likes

No matter how successful your game came out, you are not safe from layoff.

4 Likes

Can’t wait for their huge summer blowout where they lie about a bunch of games coming in 2025, when in reality they are 2026/7 games, and the media starts glazing them again

5 Likes

interesting timing. usually these things happen before quarterly results. i expected this two weeks ago and when nothing happend i thought - oh they got this under control, respect.

well.

Doing it on that day would have hurt more than it already had.

2 Likes

layoffs usually result in stock value gains

1 Like

It most certainly was not

8% of their workforce, so pretty in-line. Most companies are going around 10% in some way because they’re sheep

6 Likes

Closing London Studios is a stark stark reminder that the PSVR2 is not doing it for PlayStation, SIE and Sony writ large.

2 Likes

I think that was speculation or even false murmurs that have since been repated and refurbished into rumours.

We only know Spider-man 2 cost north of $300 million. The cost of Halo is not (and likely will never be) known.

Didn’t they have a round of lay offs last year too?

I know MS / Xbox did too, but given the current batch of Xbox ones can be argued to mainly be the ABK duplication I’m wondering if they’re actually cutting deeper overall than Xbox despite the size disparity

1 Like

They almost certainly are. Xbox canceled the Blizzard survival game, then most of the rest of the layoffs were duplication, or jobs that are going to be replaced by AI (community managers and customer support)

These hits to Sony seem to be much heavier on actual devs and support staff for the actual creation of games.

3 Likes

London Studio is purely closed, one real legacy gone.

9 Likes

Studio was the rest of “Sony the innovator” period, with Singstar, EYe Toy, VR games . The signal is clear. Full force on sure-no-rsisk- money-making games.

5 Likes

While numbers are larger on Xbox, the damage is worse over PS since they’re closing a studio and they’re not as large as former.

4 Likes

The Cope to say they’re closing a lame studio is quite something…

1 Like