Playstation Plus revamp announced, Jim Ryan explains why Sony cannot currently offer day and date games in service

PS Plus Essentials

PS Plus Essentials is the same as the PS Plus service today, which includes two monthly downloadable games, online multiplayer access, game discounts and cloud storage. It also costs the same: $9.99/€8.99/£6.99 a month, $24.99/€24.99/£19.99 for three months, or $59.99/€59.99/£49.99 a year.

PS Plus Extra

PS Plus Extra includes all of the above but adds a collection of 400 PS4 and PS5 games that can be downloaded. These games will include the likes of Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, God of War, Returnal, Mortal Kombat 11 and Death Stranding. More titles, including those from third-party developers, will be announced nearer the time. Additional titles will be added on a regular basis. PS Plus Extra will cost: $14.99/€13.99/£10.99 a month, $39.99/€39.99/£31.99 for three months, or $99.99/€99.99/£83.99 a year.

PS Plus Premium

PS Plus Premium includes all of the above, but also adds classic games from the PS1, PS2 and PSP (which can be downloaded or streamed), time-limited game trials and PS3 and PS4 game streaming. This service will cost: $17.99/€16.99/£13.49 a month, $49.99/€49.99/£39.99 for three months, or $119.99/€119.99/£99.99 a year.

2 Likes

I just want the BC games, not paying for a subscription though. Can you buy the BC games separately?

I am laughing a bit that Jim gave an interview not to say how good the new service is but to damage control why its missing a very key feature the competition offers

34 Likes

Ok ok

things can change very quickly in this industry

It’s good that he’s future proofing his statements now

7 Likes
1 Like

so they merged psnow in the plus sub to kill that brand

why was it called “Project Spartacus” again? feels like a refresh but not much else

1 Like

Lol, that quote is going to ruffle some feathers.

2 Likes

That part about the quality, that reminds me of the “not sustainable” nonsense.

Yet Xbox put FH5 into Game Pass, Starfield day one, Hellblade 2 day one and these games are not cheap to make and certainly are high quality.

6 Likes

Hey did you hear Will Smith did something?

Sorry, just wanted to talk about something actually worth talking about, seeing as this seems like a bit of a bad joke.

4 Likes

Live service is already where gamers gravitate :skull:

I’m sure the Playstation online fanbase is taking this news with grace and not calling for Ryan’s head.

2 Likes

Xbox game studios games’ quality got noticeably and measurably higher since Game Pass’s day one introduction

11 Likes

Yes sir, facts!

Psychonauts 2 being a very good example.

1 Like

Not only doing damage control on the absence of day one 1st party releases but he actually tries to paint Xbox’s games as of lesser quality…Xbox’s games not “Prestige” enough! what a load of BS.

I swear to god this guy whenever he speaks it makes the plan of buying a PS5 more and more difficult for me…I guess he’s talented in that. :phil_lmao:

2 Likes

The offering is solid, though some features are coming in the future.

But anyway it is PSN vs Xbox Live again. But the service has a good potential. They need to polish this and that and maybe something cool will come out of it. Though it seems no other subscriptions included (people dreamed about GTA Online for free, Crunchyroll etc.)

Yearly prices are sweet though.

1 Like

I don’t see reason to jump to highest tier, and I wish this wasn’t overhyped. Anyways, I think they should’ve made it like EA play where exclusives join the service 6-12 months after release

1 Like

Extra doesn’t sound too bad though to be honest, it even gets PS5 games. That’s not too bad.

Every entertainment industry has found the subscription model to work well. Games have even more room for monetization beyond the monthly subscription, game sales still high, microtransactions, DLC, Gold/PS+, and all that will be on top of the monthly subs.

I think they’re just still not ready on multiple fronts, like their infrastructure, and the fact that their current model still works wonderfully well for them, but those things can and probably will change. I give them a couple of year to catch up.

1 Like

Monthly pricing is terrible but yearly discount is good. I think it’ll all come down to what the content looks like. Unfortunately this doesn’t tell us a ton about that.

1 Like

Is this the service that some believe will compete with Game pass ??? LOL

the highest tier cost 18 $ just to play old games and without new day one games ? dude like wtf

You can have with game pass Ultimate :

• 1st party day one release includes ( bethesda + activision blizzard )
  • 3rd party day one release form time to time
  • Great indie games day one
  • EA play subscription
  • PC Games
  • extra content + perks
  • Xbox live

And all this only for 14.99$

If you want to pay 18 $ For old games thats fine for you , But I will never pay that

8 Likes