Microsoft in talks with Discord over $10 billion+ acquisition

Why do you say ‘greedy’?

Every investment firm needs an exit. They invest in unknowns with the hope that one of their 50 investments work out. That is the reason you see startup funding. For every successful exit/return, they have 30-40 investments that won’t return anything.

Going public is not a risk for Discord right now. An IPO or a sale are both valid exits, and depends on the vision of the founder.

If they do buy Discord, expect it everywhere – even on Playstation and Nintendo.

1 Like

It won’t be on either.

Playstation and Nintendo are closed systems. It will remain on mobile/pc and have a deep Xbox integration if they do acquire it. Lots gamers on PS and Nintendo use Discord and if Xbox is another entry point in which they can access their groups, then it becomes another value prop to jump into the Xbox ecosystem.

1 Like

Creating a thread in record time.

Good show mods. @Predrag

1 Like

I’m trying to find the podcast episode where I mentioned Discord. Need the receipts…

I just find it suspicious that ALL credible journos are reporting simultaneously at this stage. An IPO does not happen like this.

Tinfoil hat on.

Microso has tried to buy Discord a few times already but they were unwilling to sell so let’s see what happens now. It makes sense for MS to buy Discord.

1 Like

Please let it happen!

If they go public, it is guaranteed that Tencent will be there.

Microsoft will buy anything which could increase there Azure Revenue and operations.

Phil played the best move along with Kareem to link Xbox and Azure.

1 Like

Think big. If this is ever successful they could use discord as a streaming platform and use the “pass” as amazon “prime”.

1 Like

This is exactly why MS coud be interested. Discord would help bring new tech to improve MS products.

Not sure about that. Discord is not that profitable at all.

I didn’t heard it in a podcast, but I think you mentioned it on a thread in response to an italian insider stating that Microsoft wanted to put Discord on Xbox, and you said you heard some rumblings about MS and Discord, but you didn’t know what it was.

Yeah I recall saying it ok the podcast too. Just can’t remember when.

Found it

7 Likes

Thanks, I was trying to look for it too :smile:

1 Like

I’d rather they use the $11 Billion for Discord to buy out Square Enix and any other moneyhat recipients.

2 Likes

Microsoft can easily do both (in terms of having enough money).

2 Likes