Xbox Acquisition |OT| - So We’re Back to Making Lists, Huh?

yes, Ed said this

In fairness, they were way overvalued. At one point their market cap exceeded that of Ubisoft. I really don’t think a company with a decent if less popular launcher and a game every half decade should be valued more than the company with 40 teams and at least one AAA game per quarter.

3 Likes

And arent they worth more then say Sega and Capcom?

The thing is you are making it seem like Xbox dont have 3rd person games which they do Hellblade 2 Fable State of Decay and Gears plus FM FH Starfield Fallout and TES you can play in 3rd person

2 Likes

Well tbh it stopped dropping so they’re around the same as in may. Hopefully it didn’t hurt them too much.

I don’t really care personally. Microsoft needs the talent and has the money to buy the rights for whatever they want.

@Shpeshal_Nick also said something about Microsoft negotiating something with Discord, he didn’t know what it was, but that he has heard something too.

1 Like

Discord chat on xbox would be huuuuge. makes it even more easy to comunicate between xbox and pc I love this and it would fit the ecosystem very well!

1 Like

Exactly, as they want to bring the PC and Xbox platform closer together.

Imagine :o

1 Like

I mean if people are happy where Xbox First Party is who am I to tell them they are wrong and I agree with you them need a Sony type of Studio but I would rather have a studio that is great over one that isnt

I wonder if Microsoft approaches acquisitions from a “we need to fill this gap in our portfolio” perspective, or if its based on the best available/close relationships. I kinda assume the latter.

1 Like

I’d love to see Xbox add studios that can put them at the level Sony is at with 3rd person action adventure. They are out there too, they could acquire Asobo, Crytek and Remedy or just acquire a publisher like Square Enix West or WB Games and be right there with Sony.

However, it looks like Phil may want to make the console known for different strengths than Sony and to focus on that first. Seems like from quotes I’d expect the focus of acquisitions to be on making them a leader in areas Sony really doesn’t have too much first party focus.

2 Likes

Like first person…

1 Like

Tbh, I don’t think anything good has ever come from “we need a game/studio to answer to game/studio” outside of forza. Putting talented people together and letting them make what they want is the best approach IMO.

Yes you should forcus on getting great studios over what they need but pointing out they do have a weaknees in some areas is not a bad thing that said I am very happy with MS games coming out in the next couple year

I honestly think it’s more of a latter but the former is definitely a factor in who they continue to nurture relationships with, and eventually acquire.

1 Like

I agree, every publisher has strengths and weaknesses. Due to Game Pass (and less third party , Microsoft probably needs to work harder than others to address those weaknesses. Whether it be through acquisitions, XGSP, or third party deals.

1 Like

I know some people think 3 Person Story driven game is the weaks point but I think its Platformers they need to get a studio for that IMO

4 Likes

I agree, MS already have 3rd person story driven game covered, but man, they don’t have game like mario or zelda

2 Likes

I wouldnt say they have 3rd person story drivne game covered but I think Platformers Fighers and JRPG they lack more in