JRPGs |OT| The Grind to Level 99 is Paved With Good Intentions

I mean, to be fair, if they want a JRPG then they shouldn’t be expecting that from FINAL FANTASY.

I’m sure it’ll be a fine game, but not at all what I would want from it. It does lessen the sting of exclusivity at least. Also, awesome LE dude, I miss getting those.

The young generation raised on rpg, just checking my notes, like Pokemon or Dragon Quest feels disconnected with turn based combat …

What is he smoking?

And how did this broadening the audience with direct combat turned out with Forspoken? Oh yeah.

I’m no turn-based purist, 12 and 13 are some of my favorite games in the series. :sweat_smile: But an action game where you only control one character and that “channels God of War” is just not really what I’m looking for from a mainline FF.

I’m willing (even hoping!) to be proven wrong though.

2 Likes

Started Persona 5 Royal via Gamepass!

4 Likes

Masterpiece of a game. I played 100 hours on xcloud alone. Via touch screen as well.

2 Likes

The soundtrack is delivering again. Very happy the composer returned.

2 Likes

Speaking of YoshiP, what happened to FF XIV Xbox version

1 Like

“Buy a PS5”

I talked about this here:

Basically in 2019 Phil got a bit too excited I guess and said FFXIV will come to Xbox.

In 2022 TGS interviews he was prodded about where it is and he says that they remain committed to making it happen.

Personally that could read as damage control and it is likely not happening.

I mean conversations were had. Cant blame phil. Its all on SE for not gping through with deals and delaying xbox version. Most likely now sony just blocked it.

NNK2 coming on March 21st to GP, with all DLC included!

Highly recommend this one, has real Suikoden vibes for me.

Some general news:

All XSeed published Falcom games are on sale. Now you too can lose 1000+ hours in your life in the best JRPGs ever made. I already finished all of these myself lol, even the obscure stuff like Zwei (and might I add, Zwei II: Ilvard Insurrection is an extremely charming little game)

There will be a Level 5 showcase very soon, looks to show all the games they had at Nintendo Direct. I’m not much of a Level 5 guy but I am very interested in Decapolice.

The new SAO game has a release date. I’m not into these games or series and hear they aren’t good lol.

Ys X new info! I’ll be honest, the artwork in the link, I’m not a fan of. They have the Tokyo Mirage Sessions artist doing it. Adol’s art looks ridiculous but his in game model is fine. I do also think the graphics are getting nerfed from what Falcom was doing in the Kuro no Kiseki games, I guess to have the game run stable on Switch, as this is their first in house Switch developed game.

5 Likes

Cannot wait.

Hopefully switch version isnt garbage.

Still playing Fire Emblem Engage, using the Japanese text. DQXI was okay to play in Japanese but was getting kinda dry I guess. Guess it doesn’t help that I also played it before. Also, it might sound funny, but I kept getting put into long gameplay segments when I really just wanted to read cutscenes.

I’m having much more fun here. Playing on the lowest difficulty so that I can just enjoy the story, which is so far simple and fun enough to read (I’m up to Chapter 8). Good gameplay/cutscene balance to keep it fun.

Yunaka’s “greeting”:Yoropipi :laughing:. I believe that was localized as “Hiya Papaya” which gets the meaning across well. She also does this “otaku character” thing where she uses the honorific -shi, like… Daru from Steins;Gate

I also got Anna, who insists to be called Anna-san.

This is actually my first FE game lol, all these familiar characters I only know from Smash Bros :sweat_smile:

Besides that, still into Octopath 2. Playing that with the English dub. I just always play the HD2D games dubbed, I think I like how cheesy the dubs are.

Is the main character some kind of divine dragon? I might have to try this game out because that sounds rad.

Oh yes, that’s exactly right. I think that’s actually a running theme in Fire Emblem, for the protagonist to be a dragon of some kind. You’ll be hearing “Shinryu-sama” a -lot- lol.

Anyway, I used to be down on the Unity engine a lot, but FE Engage is using it and the graphics and animations are so good!

1 Like

As for some small news I’m sure you all know the Square Enix sale has started on Xbox and there’s some first time discounts in there like Chrono Cross (recently got a big improvement patch) and FF Crisis Core. Star Ocean is also on sale and having just completed it not long ago I highly recommend it for the gameplay (story, not so much)

They’ve also started a sale on Switch, if you’re looking to pick up some not-on-Xbox games

Sea of Stars also added an Xbox version

5 Likes

Dang, that looks pretty slick. I really only played Awakening and some GBA ones.

I just missed out on buying a cheap used copy of this on your recommendation :sob:

Just started Persona 5 and still don’t know how to feel. It seems really deep and the story seems like it will be good but its simply so meaty. Although I spend a lot of time with my new baby where he is crying so all the cutscenes and lack of gameplay so far has actually been nice. First Persona game. I had played SMTIV but really didn’t like it. Hoping this will be better.