Square Enix and Xbox

He can’t do much if Square Enix doesn’t want that either. Last time there were rumblings that SE wanted some special treatment regarding Azure and FF14. Knowing SE would not be surprised if they were asking for too much.

2 Likes

He’s still saying he’s committed to making it happen as of this year though. If Phil keeps saying it will happen then eventually MS must concede and accept Square’s demands.

Unless it’s not happening and Phil is only saying it will happen to save face on interviews which would be a really funny thing to do.

I think Phil was premature in making that promise to bring FF XIV to Xbox without there being any real deal with Square first, but I don’t think they haven’t tried anyway. And let’s not forget Square Enix’s constant apologies: mandatory Live Gold (and there I agreed with them); then the excuse that Microsoft didn’t allow cross-play (okay, let’s agree with them on that too); but their last excuse was that they didn’t have enough resources to bring it to Xbox… From then on I realized that they would never even bring FF XIV to Xbox.

Time to let go instead of blaming Xbox for SE or any other third party choosing to simply not release games on the platform. There is no perfect platform and you’re going to be taking some risk no matter where you release.

1 Like

Do you happen to know when this promise was made? I don’t really follow MMOs but I get the impression that XIV really blew up in the past few years, and I’ve heard that it’s S-E’s cash cow. I can understand why they wouldn’t want to allocate devs to work on a port to a not-super popular platform for it if it’s all hands on deck to keep the gravy train rolling. This doesn’t apply if they can get an external team to work on a port, though.

1 Like

At X019, when they announced all those Final Fantasy games for Game Pass, Phil had this to say

The big two games missing from this list are Final Fantasy ’s two MMOs, Final Fantasy XI and XIV . However, speaking to members of the press at X019 earlier today, Microsoft’s gaming chief, Phil Spencer, said that the company plans to bring Final Fantasy 14 to the service at a later date. “I wanted you to know, rest assured that we will be bringing that game to Xbox,” said Spencer. “We have a great relationship with Yoshida-san and we’re working through what it means to bring [to Xbox] a cross-platform MMO that they’ve run for years.”

That seems pretty cut and dry. “We will be bringing that game to Xbox.”

Now here is Phil in 2022 saying they’re still committed to it:

Asked about the status of the Xbox version by Game Watch this week, Spencer replied: “We certainly announced that (laughs). Naturally, we haven’t given up yet. This is a commitment from both Microsoft and Square Enix to gamers and we will continue to coordinate our efforts.”

4 Likes

Oof yeah, that was a while ago. Thank you for digging that up with sources and quotes and all, I appreciate the effort!

3 Likes

Im fine with it NEVER coming to gamepass if it comes to xbox day 1.

Worst case scenario is that its a timed exclusive but comes to gamepass later.

Either way this game MUST come to all platforms when it comes out. Too big not to.

I love Yakuza. But lets be real. Persona is way more popular and Royal outsold every yakuza game despite being a DE version of an older game. Theres no comparison between the series sales wise.

They are. Clearly they are. Theres msny types now.

Also to the guy talking about crisis core sales

I fucking hate when people bring up UK boxed sales. I lived in UK for most of my life and majority of xbox gamers dont buy physical

By that definition switch sales bombed too since it was only 12 percent.

Lets see what digital sales are. ELDEN RING had massive physical advantage on ps5 but digital was nearly 50/50.

2 Likes

Where are you getting the 80-20 ratio??

Are you talking console sales??

The difference between series and ps5 is fairly close. Not as close as US but 1.5 to 1 is about accurate.

Obligatory Sony and Square Enix contracts mention:

5 Likes

Don’t buy crisis core

1 Like

This seems to confirm that Final Fantasy XVI will also never be released on Xbox… and maybe Silent Hill 2 too? I really hope Konami hasn’t agreed to a contract like Square Enix’s.

1 Like

The most interesting thing to me is Square Enix doubling down on their Playstation association and exclusivity at a time when Playstation is not particularly popular in Japan and is weaker in North America this generation and likely to lose the generation in North America overall. This is compounded when Square Enix appears to be one of the only ones making exclusives for their smaller install base of only PS5s.

1 Like

Well out of the 18 games Square released this year, 13 of them were on Switch. (12 were on PS… 5 were on Xbox)

They support the Switch heavily so while FF is definitely going to suffer in Japan (the preorders for FFXVI in Japan are low, according to GEO charts), Square themselves should be fine in Japan.

The big danger for FFXVI is not being on PC day 1 but at least it will only be 6 months (unless they do the Epic deal again… So far that’s only affected Nomura involved titles though)

The titles that Square has been delivering to switch have been niche and small scale titles that really haven’t sold well. If it was not for the FF14 income right now, Square Enix would be bleeding right now and canceling projects and laying people off.

They are one hiccup basically away from absolutely destroying their company and based on the choices we’ve seen them make, they may have already made the decisions that will lead to their restructuring and sale.

2 Likes

Sidebar: People really need to stop comparing Capcom to SE in terms of lack of Xbox support because they didn’t release the latest Megaman Battle Network Collection. Not nearly in the same ballpark as SE lmao.

If this deal goes through. Sony might be forced to abandon some of these shitty deals

.if they dont. Ms wont give them shit.

I will never support any Square games in the future. Sadly, FF9 is still my most favorite game ever. Even if FF7R, 16 came to Xbox, I would refuse to play. What if it launched on Game Pass you asked, still big NO from me.

I bought Type-0, 15, 8 remaster, KH3, all LiS Day 1 on Xbox. Now I have better JRPG on Xbox than FF like Persona, Yakuza.

See you Square, until you commit to not randomly skip Xbox.

2 Likes

Who the hell is? Capcom have been great. As seen by Rise coming to gamepass.