Halo Switching Engine to Unreal?

Doesn’t MCC use UE for the menu/character customisation? Could this rumour stem from something as simple as that, rather than UE being used for actual gameplay?

3 Likes

That is a possibility.

hilarious this rumor originated from seanw along with a bunch of other dubious rumors ( bonnie ross taking over activision etc.)

I actually had a brief conversation with a former 343i dev and he was saying something similar.

2 Likes

whether the “public needs to know” or not it will become public because of job listings if they actually switch (which they won’t).

UE gets overhaul on the UI frontend and API backend regularly :woman_shrugging: Learning a engine is not just knowing where to click on something.

2 Likes

To the point that you have to re-learn what you are clicking on? I doubt that very much. We aren’t talking about behind the scenes tweaks that adjust performance of the UI.

Literally what I’ve been saying since the start.

But these UI elements all have functionality behind them. Replicating UI doesn’t replicate features. In UE5 you can just drop massive assets and it ‘works’ with Nanite. You can’t replicate that easily.

Yeah but that doesn’t sound like it is the issue wrt contractors working on Halo. The issue was suggested to be contractors having learn a bespoke new engine interface to work with, slowing down content production pipelines. And these contractors likely aren’t even utilizing the big UE5 features as is.

Were they talking about the UI interface specifically or more like the abstract concept of familarity with an engine?

I thought it was moreso the former. I dunno for sure though. I am pretty skeptical of this rumor all in all unless it is something slim like just a UI sorta thing.

These rumors feel more like something 343 might be using to hold back the community from coming against them for the time delays. I’m more akin to side with Mr. Matty plays that every engine has their own feel and stench (2) Xbox News Is Getting INSANE - Starfield Release Date Rumors, MAJOR Activision Deal Update, & MORE! - YouTube. I just don’t think UE 5 will ever get that Halo Infinite feel which is a must for halo going forward in my opinion.

99% of the public doesn’t give two shits about which engine is being used. Pardon my language.

1 Like

i didn’t say otherwise, i said it would become public knowledge through job listings.

Interesting point, and it highlights something that I think I’ve been taking for granted: I’ve assumed that The Endless was an upcoming campaign add on since it was trademarked last year, but what if this is actually Project Tatanka and its a major multiplayer component instead? If this released as sort of a stand alone BR for Halo, it could maybe make sense to trademark it separately.

As a rebuttal of what I just wrote, I was thinking Forge would similarly be trademarked and it doesn’t appear that it is (amusingly this is… HALO FORGE Trademark Application of Yangjiang Tuoge Electronic Commerce Co., Ltd. - Serial Number 90862252 :: Justia Trademarks) so maybe they did trademark it for campaign, but it seems very early. That said, Forge wouldn’t be a separate product and there is at least a chance that a Halo BR could be.

Reading the reaction online where it’s centered around the visuals is missing the point entirely. The only good reason to choose UE is because of the online component. It’s primed for Battle Royale Live Service games. The graphics won’t look that great because of the heavy focus on physics and AI in Halo. The game might even feel a bit different. But hey you can get a hundred players in a match and supporting the game with content will be a breeze (relatively speaking).

Which is why I think if there’s anything made in UE it should be a completely different product (3rd person, completely separate from Infinite). But then you’d have two products competing with each other and one cannibalizing the other.

Since there’s no logical way to tie together 2 separate games (and I have yet to see an argument for how it would happen) I’m thinking UE would be a bad move for any Halo product appearing in the next 5 years.

Maybe in 5 or 6 years when the next Halo title comes out. I realize that people don’t like that many developers are moving to UE but so much of it has to do with the realities of AAA game development.

I also am holding on to the belief that 343 will have a very capable live service title on their hands by next March. And it’s not a blind belief, I’m basing this off the fact that their new timeline reflects the idea that they have their noses to the grindstone in regards to the back end.

I would love to have a series of Dontnod/TellTale style games in the Halo universe and more Top-Down Twin-Stick shooter style too.

5 Likes

A game in the vein of the Ascent in the Halo universe could be soooooo fun!

56:45

Hmm, so Jez was talking about this. And he’s very conflicted. Basically he reached out to many sources and some of them were being very coy not giving a yes or no answer. And some just told Jez straight up yes it’s happening. So who tf knows what’s going on.

Edit: This is even weirder, maybe someone who has engine experience can explain. But Jez said the UI for Halo Infinite runs on Unreal because SlipSpace doesn’t have proper tools? I’ve never heard of something like that, or maybe that’s very common for games?

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxFzpUQApPMeG1Whg2OzByJBpCq35SOfWB

1 Like