Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

None of these games are made by the same team even if they are all using the same engine. IIRC RE4 is being made by the same team that worked on RE2 remake. RE3 was handled by a different team than RE2 and RE4. Same goes for the DMC, RE7/8 and Monster Hunter teams. To me, it looks like the team working on the main franchise (RE7/8) is the team most comfortable with the Xbox tools since RE8 ran best on SX. RE2 and RE3 also ran better on the One X, and IIRC the current gen updates for both ran roughly the same on both PS5 and SX. Not sure who did the current gen update though.

Hopefully the day one update improves things. We know itā€™s not in the current build, so thereā€™s a chance.

4 Likes

Regarding the YouTube channel ElAnalistaDebits

Well then.

I was watching easy allies impressions of the RE4 demo and Huber mentioned that the demo is the same one that he played months ago at a preview event. Iā€™d suggest relaxing on the performance worries until we see final code.

1 Like

The RE4 Demo is really different between the systems, where you cant compare only perf without taking into account quality or amount of work being done. Its not an apples to apples comparison situation.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll never understand why so many devs use chromatic aberration. It looks like shit.

5 Likes

With how much misinformation is on YouTube, Iā€™d be surprised if that caused a strike.

He does try to get content out quickly, which I think leads to some errors in his reporting, most around pixel counts. Iā€™ve pointed out when heā€™s been off before but knowing how much work it takes to make these kinds of videos, I try not to be too critical. I still appreciate what he brings to the table, I just think he can improve in ways.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Written article for those who want to skim it about this demo @ Resident Evil 4 remake: do technical troubles doom a would-be classic? | Eurogamer.net

3 Likes

Tell that to disney. They made the right call.

Thought this video was great. I cannot wait for Alan Wake 2.

1 Like

Itā€™s the opposite of ElAnalistaDebitsā€™ findings, interesting. But I do trust DF a whole lot more. So based on the demo right now XSX has the advantage here. It seems we are now seeing a Capcom that has way less problems with RE Engine compared to some past games, on Xbox. Good stuff.

Exoprimal, another one that looks sharp and buttery smooth. Itā€™s good to see.

1 Like

Spacerā€™s Choice even with patch 1.1 is still pretty bad:

The state of performance puts a huge damper on the Spacerā€™s Choice Edition. Honestly, Iā€™d much rather just go back to running the Xbox One or PS4 versions on Series X or PS5 hardware. They certainly feel much nicer to play, with a more consistent 60fps.

Further patches have been promised to fix the gameā€™s performance problems, but despite delaying our coverage to test patch 1.1 on PS5 youā€™re still getting a pretty poor experience for the money. Xbox updates are due soon as well, but in fairness, Series X is already in a better place performance-wise than PS5 - not counting the hitches - and in its visual features.

As a paid upgrade, The Spacerā€™s Choice Edition is best avoided for now. The visual tweaks are broadly speaking well done, but they do have a knock-on effect to the art direction that might prove divisive. Less debateable are the performance issues - the frame-pacing at 30fps and the highly variable frame-rate in performance mode need to be fixed. Certainly going by the results on PS5, updates beyond patch 1.1 still have a lot to address to justify that upgrade fee. And for those that have already bought in, I seriously hope itā€™s possible to turn this release around soon.

3 Likes

I assume we can do exactly that, still, right? Play the One X version? Hope they wonā€™t delist it.

2 Likes

They canā€™t if they still want people to buy them last gen version. PC, well Iā€™m not sure but they better hope not.

Exactly what iā€™m doing. Performs pretty good on Series X and i like the colors better.

2 Likes

Latest RTings Burn-In Tests:

Weā€™re running 100 TV models for an average of 18 hours a day to simulate 10 years of usage in just two years. Weā€™re testing the reliability of TVs by running them to the limit.

At this point, weā€™re four months into our 2-year test, clocking in about a yearā€™s worth of usage. In this video, weā€™ll go over the results weā€™ve gotten so far, including the burn-in on our QD-OLEDs, differences between LG and Sony OLEDs, and failures on four TVs, including some high-end models. ā€”

Initial project starting page at How Long Should A TV Last? Our 100 TV Accelerated Longevity And Burn-In Test - RTINGS.com with the latest updates available at:

4 Likes

Oh boy, Iā€™m seeing QD-OLED mentioned there. While I havenā€™t had any burn in with the previous one, I did already had one dying on me within a year. Weā€™ll see how it goes, but if I get serieus issues with this set as well Iā€™m just gonna go back to LG. All around a brand I trust so much more.

2 Likes

Finally a proud moment for all Xbox fans.

5 Likes

A reminder that next gen hasnā€™t really started yet :fire:

1 Like