Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

The character model is looking so good! I do wonder how much of that will be achieved on Xbox and how much of it will be PC only.

3 Likes

These are still just tech demos running on incredibly powerful pcs. We don’t know what the actual game will look like yet.

4 Likes

All the more reason why I keep advocating for MS to not only be more transparent with their trailers but to also use footage running on console hardware. Considering how good the first game looked, I have no doubt the sequel will look great. Question is just how good will it look?

5 Likes

Cool. Wonder how noticeable it is and if worth the performance trade off.

About to watch it, but it looks like LG is listening.

1 Like

Ray Tracing is the most overhyped feature of all time. Until the hardware is there to do full path tracing, its a novelty at best.

8 Likes

Didn’t we get that with Metro Exodus? If so I think that Metro shows the best way to go about it.

RT here seems to make the colours more deep? The foliage and the character. I do prefer the RT side.

Agree, though I’m surprised how bad the lighting looks without RT lol

3 Likes

It is only doing RT Ambient Occlusion and Shadows. Hence why the plants separate better. All it costs is a significant hit to performance.

Yeah, I would not turn on RT there. It just isn’t worth it when playing the game instead of doing these photomode-style activities.

Metro isn’t path traced but the entire lighting and GI model is now ray traced. With additional RT reflections on PC I believe.

Got it, although this makes me feel that PT will be niche going forward, and the new techniques being implemented are what’s going to become mainstream, as the number of people that could use PT is significantly less than those that can’t.

Unreal Engine 5 feels like vaporware outside of Fortnite

4 Likes

That’s odd. Recently it was said it was UE5. So the wait continues for UE5 games. Hellblade 2 probably the first to hit Xbox, and then Avowed. Oh and third party wise Lords of the Fallen is using it and assuming no delays, this year.

No idea about PS.

I think the UE5 thing just came from some job openings, unless I am missing something.

That’s possible, I guess that’s even possible for Avowed too. Officially they haven’t announced it’s UE5, have they? It very likely is, but ya…rumors.

Yeah, I think that might have just been job openings too haha. Either way I don’t expect it to heavily utilize it if is on UE5