Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

From RE, the summary.

I’m guessing that asking for at least you know…parity is asking too much. NFS at least had a slighter higher resolution, but more frequent frame drops. Gotham Knights isn’t like that. Same resolution as before, on par with PS5 and in some cases at worst it’s not 2160p but 2016p. Doubt anyone will notice that, but frame drops gotta go.

So they “fixed” it by making it worse on Xbox.

Yep, pretty much. Well…i guess it’s now more stable compared to how it used to be on X, but it’s behind PS5, certainly.

Maybe, but whenever I encounter these issues on an online game I usually leave and try again later because it never feels good to play.

As my character is constantly lagging on animation and either missing or doing 3 to 4 animations at once. In this game it sounds like the animation and camera stutter is consistent through out on Xbox, along with the frame drops in the open world. So I can’t just blame it on the servers or my connection issues leave and have a better experience later.

1 Like

I see people in the comment section of that video blaming it on “lazy devs”, others blame Series S, that it can’t possibly be helping X that they need to optimize for S too. I do feel that people too easily yell it’s about S but they really have no idea. Whatever the case is here…I’ve said it before and I just notice a change since this year, maybe some games late last year too.

I realize that not every game will have a clear edge on Xbox, it wasn’t with One X always and it won’t be here, but at the least parity should not be too much to ask?

Anyway…

It seems GamingTech is also doing framerate analysis now, next to HDR.

ElAnalistaDebits have their analysis up too.

X and PS5 both use a dynamic resolution in performance mode. PS5’s average resolution is slightly higher in the areas they tested. It’s nothing shocking. It’s 1872p on PS5, 1836p on X.

PS5 has a performance advantage over X with an average of 5-10 fps.

I believe RE2R, RE3R and Village had this too? Not sure. I do remember that RE2R had significantly less shimmering/aliasing on X than PS5, but softer. But I’m not seeing that in this comparison.

1 Like

Yup… RE engine is notorious on Xbox system

DMC also shows similar performance trends

I thought the RE4 demo was running better on Xbox, but according to this, PS5 has higher resolution and also higher fps average?

Is it me or it seems that the latest games are all performing better on the PS5? Last year Xbox had advantages in many big games.

Yeah, I have this feeling as well. Last year and I think also 2021 had plenty games with an advantage on X. This year we have had NFS that had more fps issues, albeit with a slightly higher resolution iirc, Monster Hunter Rise had it too (but was fixed/improved later, not sure if fully on par though. DF didn’t analyse it again.)

Gotham Knights with latest patch has a clear advantage on PS5 for god knows what reason. It’s a current gen only game too, I would hope X wouldn’t be behind PS5, but who knows wtf it is.

Capcom with the RE engine has been a odd one for quite a while now. The list of games that had an advantage on X are quite a lot, Hitman trilogy, Cyberpunk after it was fully patched. This year even we had Dead Space Remake and I think it still has an edge on X? Not sure.

I really don’t need every single game to have this super big advantage over PS5 so I can throw it in faces of Sony fans, I don’t do that crap, but on par should just be the minimum. Or well, that’s just how I’d like to see it.

Dead Space was better on Xbox and that one was full blown this gen title. Either you step up, leave old tech behind, or use Xbox features.

1 Like

Was the biggest advantage the DRS? Or also performance?

I believe it was both, but even after patch, performance still lands on Xbox.

1 Like

Knowing that I just wish Gotham Knights had been a similar situation, it being current gen only too.

But…

Not every studio is the same.

It was a cross gen title. The problem is, they can’t optimize right at all, so they abandoned it. It took this long to make it right. Even so, Arkham Knight, an older title, still looks better in every way.

FYI

All Capcom games run better on PS5(maybe not all bit it is a trend so far)

1 Like

Most of the times the day one patch made the RE games pretty similar on all consoles. I think usually Xbox had higher resolution but I would have to check again.

Let’s wait for the patcj

1 Like

Resident Evil 3 had a moment where it was better resolution on Xbox One X, but the performance was harmed. So they pretty much lowered it to match PS4 Pro and it works well on both ends.

1 Like

REmake 2 and 3 had better AA solution (TAA+FXAA which resulted in slightly softer but cleaner IQ) and REmake 2 even had less drops on One X than PS4 Pro, as said after launch Remake 3 was patched to match PS4 Pro’s resolution and this got rid of all the frame-rate drops. Village IIRC had a slight advantage on the SX too.

So far only DMC5: SE and Remake 4 (at least the demo) have an advantage on the PS5. We’ll see how the final version of REmake 4 compares though.

3 Likes

Oh interesting, I thought the RT mode in Village had the edge on PS5.

Then it would be odd if XSX is behind like this. Hopefully there’s a patch that evens it out and fixes it.

Imagine if it’s in the document that Sony will have to reveal in the future.

1 Like

Yeah some interesting stuff could come from that. We’ll probably learn if the rumor about Village for Game Pass block is true too.

Watched the RE4 video in its entirety now, the part near the end of the day is a flawless 60fps on PS5, basically just locked and it just really isn’t on XSX, and that’s performance mode.

Well, we shall find out when it releases. It’s a demo after all.