Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Funny thing is both are likely true. It’s true that Sony paid for exclusivity, but I think that was more to keep it off of the N64, not Saturn. I’m not sure the Saturn could handle TR2 and if they did port it, the game would likely look a good deal worse than the PS1 version. The Saturn’s strength came through when developers were able to properly utilize both the VDP1 and VDP2 chips. Games like TR didn’t give devs much opportunity to take advantage of VDP2 since VDP1 handled all the polys. Tomb Raider 1 ran and looked worse on the Saturn and TR1 was originally developed as a Saturn exclusive.

No games are “coded to the metal” these days.

And what you’re describing is exactly why I don’t think fanboys on the internet should be paid much attention to. It’s poisonous and only builds anxiety and animosity towards things that really don’t matter in the end. I know PS fans who aren’t gloating over performance differences or using a PS game to talk down about Xbox games. It’s the fanboys who do childish things like that and they aren’t worth the attention. What we’re seeing is nothing new. Sometimes Xbox will have good news, sometimes PS or Nintendo will have good news. It doesn’t mean the other sides are “losing”. Besides with the launch issues of PSVR and the middling reception to their recent SOP, it’s not like Sony is batting a 1000 lately either.

My advice is to just play and enjoy what you want and ignore the extreme takes some spew up on the internet. Gaming is a lot more enjoyable that way.

It’s not true when it comes to graphics or performance, but may be true when it comes to gameplay centric features.

To be fair, I’m pretty sure the PC version doesn’t have splitscreen yet, which is the source of the issue. I do agree that some are making too big of a deal over this, on both sides.

1 Like

Speaking of the Saturn, I loaded up Youtube and the video below was in my recommended (I swear Google spies on us lol). I absolutely loved Unreal on the PC and still load it up every now and then. It’s crazy how well this home port holds up. What developers were accomplishing on the PS1 and Saturn is what spurred my interest in game development. I found it so interesting how developers were pushing both systems. When I was working on my Saturn emulation video, I also noticed how the particle effects in Burning Rangers also had physics and bounced on the ground. Amazing stuff in retrospect.

2 Likes

I dont know only going off what DF had said . I seem to remember them saying a similar thing with the base Xbox and One X .

TR was never a SEGA Saturn exclusive, its code is 96% C . SEGA Europe simply paid for a 6 week window, which wasn’t planned and led to actually hurting the Saturn version at the crucial stage of its optimisation. TR 2 was well into development on Saturn and used the same quad engine. It was money, that lead to it being dropped.

And developers can like a system over a rival. Team Ninja loved the Xbox and Shinji Mikami was very open in his dislike of the PS2

[quote=“KageMaru, post:7801, topic:5015”]And what you’re describing is exactly why I don’t think fanboys on the internet should be paid much attention to. [/quote]

That’s just how a lot of fans work, a lot like footy fans really. Liverpool fans have been taking the pee out of Man Utd fans this week for example.

It’s good to have passion for your side. It’s when it gets nasty and threats are issued, which is that I don’t like.

Xbox has had a poor PR couple of weeks. Atomic Heart and Harry have been a poor show for the Series X vs the PS 5, PS 5 sales have been amazing the last couple of months Ect

I agree it was amazing to particles bounce up off the floor. I also loved the motion blur in Last Bronx

Seeing alot of bad stuff about The Outter Worlds: Spacers Choice Edition. Rubbish all around on all platforms.

That’s a shame. You mean performance wise or also bugs and stuff? Do we know of Obsidian made this version or was it another studio?

I think this is strictly Private Division and the dev shops they could get.

Copied from a B3D post:

but got it on PC, and not surprisingly - tons of shader stutter. You can lower the settings and use dynamic res to get 60, but the constant shader stutter makes that unsustainable on any hardware combo. Submitted refund immediately.

Was done by Virtuous Studios btw - the guys responsible for the port of Horizon:Zero Dawn that Guerilla had to come in and fix. Considering that and the lack of ‘modern’ (cough) features like DLSS/FSR, I’m not entirely hopeful we’ll see patches that address these issues to any significant degree.

4 Likes

It was a different studio.

4 Likes

What the hell ?? Performance seems super bad… And there’s 2 modes now ? Why ?

Thanks, good to know. A shame, if Obsidian had made it for sure it wouldn’t have been this bad. I might just play the version without the enhancements then and if it leaves GP, I might just get the “old” version. Assuming that that version stays available.

To nobody’s surprise social media clowns are going “of course its worse on PS, this is paid by MS, and its a Ms studio.” lmfao.

Beside the bad performance, they did work on the game and made it more detailed and lively.

That’s true. Although I sometimes prefered the look of the last gen version in the video too, lighting mostly in those cases.

And is the One X version 60fps stable on XSX, throughout the whole game?

5 Likes

If Obsidian have done this, it would have been clean and smooth. But they are working on the sequel, which is better off for them anyway. In any case, let them cry at the wrong people.

4 Likes

Yeah, I can see that. I still feel like the new edition looks better but I will wait it to finish downloading to see for myself.

It was already 60 FPS on Series X and stable, so it surely feels like a cash grab but I enjoyed the game a lot and I’m down for a new playthrough with the small improvements.

Hilarious to see bashing Obsidian for this when it’s someone else did the work. What’s funnier is how one has to pull the “when was the last time” crap, only for one to say, “Last year.” Bet that wouldn’t be said if it was still independent or you know, someone’s else’s family.

4 Likes

Oof, was looking forward to this. Here’s hoping for a patch even if it’s unlikely.

3 Likes

I have yet to play the game, just didn’t get around to doing so. But I might just start with the version on GP if it’s that smooth.

I’m gonna assume they won’t delist the old version. It’s still on Game Pass, but right now I truly don’t need yet another game to put in the juggle rotation, lol.

1 Like

X vs PS5

Performance mode has an internal resolution of 2240x1260 on both PS5 and Series X, while the resolution mode targets 2560x1440. There’s not a drastic visual difference between the two options honestly and the performance mode helps each console zero in on a tighter 60fps lock.

On PS5’s resolution mode, exploration and small battles hit 60fps without issue, but there’s no GPU headroom for more lavish effects work. Fire spells, terraforming moves and counter-attack particle effects trigger drops into the 50fps region, sometimes into the 40s. The game’s cutscenes are also capped at 30fps (with uneven frame-pacing) regardless of mode. Series X’s resolution mode is a similar story, but offers a slightly higher average frame-rate. For both machines, a VRR display to smooth out the uneven frame-rates in this mode goes a long way. However, the performance mode is the better mode overall , as it allows for much longer 60fps stretches and less severe frame-rate dips.

Series S

Series S also has sports two modes, but this time they do affect frame-rate. Resolution mode renders at 900p at 30 frames per second, albeit with uneven frame-pacing, while the performance mode appears to target 60fps - but oddly enough, sticks at 900p as its native resolution as well. The good new is Series S really does a respectable job of hitting 60fps in its performance mode. It’s possible that DRS may be more aggressively deployed to help the performance mode hit 60fps, but the resolution counts don’t deviate drastically. That makes the 60fps performance mode the obvious choice, with similar performance to PS5 and Series X.

On the surface, Series S hasn’t turned out too badly then - but there is a penalty in terms of its core visual settings. Textures, shadows, and even physics are all downgraded on Series S. And putting its 60fps support aside, this places its visuals more in line with a last-gen experience.

Let’s run through the downgrades in order. The texture mapping on Series S is obviously compromised, with lower-quality assets for mountain walls, rocks, mossy terrain and more. Shadow detailing is removed from the scenery too, while transparency effects also take a nosedive in resolution. Likewise, the sprite work used for plants is not only lowered in quality but also in density on Series S. Draw distances for grass are further afield from the player on Series S, though geometry and shadows draw in at similar ranges. Perhaps more surprisingly, though, is that cloth physics are significantly dialled back. The flag checkpoints, for example, dynamically billow with the wind on Series X, and PS5 - but on Series S you get only a basic scripted motion. Even the motion blur is downgraded with more dithering in movement on the Series S release. This makes Wo Long one of the most visually distinct Series S releases - and not in a good way - but the last-gen machines require even more substantial cutbacks

2 Likes

It looks like they ported up the last gen version to the Series S instead of porting down the Series X/PS5 version.

4 Likes
1 Like