Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Hold, wasn’t it only yesterday (last year) that there was a lot of hype about a new graphics card. That’s old news already?

it’s insanely expensive with ridiculous power requirements

3 Likes

wow, these prices for 4000 series in Europe :rofl:

But RTX Remix looks like cool technology. Remakes for free instead of 80 bucks. Thanks, NVidia!

Deathloop Performance Review Xbox Series X|S vs PS5

1 Like

Despite my better judgment, I listed to some parts of this and the commentary does not align with the actual performance shown.

3 Likes

I still can’t believe ign hired nxgamer. Extremely disappointing.

5 Likes

They probably wanted that RDNA 3 PS5.

3 Likes

They had Destin for those videos. His Gears 5 video was very good back then.

1 Like

I stopped listening to this guy ages ago, in fact I just clicked that link and watched with no sound :slight_smile: .

And when this guys gets together with MLID :skull_and_crossbones:

So the IGN video isn’t all that. I guess we wait for DF.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate, given how much AMD has been succeeding on their CPUs, APUs, and supercomputing efforts… but the GPU space has a fair number of elements that have hindered AMD’s GPU efforts since the late 00s - Nvidia+Intel collusion, kickbacks, and other elements that effectively positioned Nvidia into its market-leading effect. It’s also important to be wary of any manufacturer claims until independent analysis can be completed…. There’s a reason most supercomputers being built today are migrating away from Nvidia. I only hope that AMD can manage to leverage its success on the console and supercomputing spaces to attract additional talent that’s been effectively monopolized by Nvidia.

Also, I think the comment from someone else was deleted or modified but it’s important to remember (for any GPU) that performance isn’t linear; an 80 TFLOP GPU doesn’t produce +6x better visuals/performance than a Series X or PS5. Developers likely won’t even tap the extent of said power either - not due to consoles holding dev back but because workflows/engines aren’t tailored for said power in most cases, and the ROI in doing so compared to the vast majority of PC users is counter-productive (which are effectively less powerful than any of the aforementioned consoles). There’s a reason there weren’t any new games being used to showcase these GPUs, but I digress. Yes, these have some incredible features, some of which will be utilized and most of which likely won’t - nor will the suggested performance be relative to the results. I have a lot more to say but unfortunately have to jump - needless to say, comparing a current-gen console APU that was developed effectively three years prior to a dedicated GPU that’s nearly 4-5 times the cost for a singular component (after actual retail cost is reflected) is a head-scratching endeavor.

5 Likes

This is all factual information. However, it ignores the context of the original 80Tflop comments. No one was directly comparing them, stating that power will ever truly be tapped or anything of that nature. Someone suggested “we need this on xbox” for that RTX Remix modding feature. The point was simply that expecting the Xbox to compete with the results of a GPU with substantial advantages in rasterization and RT capabilities that costs more than 3x the cost of a Series X is a fools errand and setting yourself up for disappointment, even if some facsimile of it may be possible.

2 Likes

But I thought that GPU backed supercomputers are relatively new themselves? :thinking: I guess everybody is going towards custom ARMs…

Absolutely true. I wish I could find the original comment I was referring to - the one about leaving consoles in the dust - as it wasn’t really taking any of those elements into effect that neither you nor I mentioned. Seemed like more of a comment missing context or basic levels of understanding. Regardless, if AMD is the choice next generation, I do hope that by that point AMD has a similar solution to RTX Remix; as I’ve always mentioned, competition is great for users and the cost of these new Nvidia cards heavily suggest they need it.

Supercomputers, at least those competing on the scale I’m referring to (for example, the world’s fastest which I know a fair bit about :wink: ) are typically built upon nodes of server class CPUs and GPUs. The aforementioned supercomputer being composed of thousands of nodes of an EPYC CPU and 4 250X GPUs, so I’m not sure what you mean by ‘GPU-backed supercomputers being relatively new…. as they have done for the better part of two decades.

1 Like

The “in the dust” comment you are referring to was me as well. The second part was me clarifying what I meant by it. It was an off the cuff reaction to the “Xbox needs this” post.

For the sake of honesty, here is the post: Xbox Game Studios |OT9| How many games would a game studio make if a game studio could make games? - #8729 by Searsy82

Which, to be fair, I would love to have a feature like that on xbox as well. Just got a bit caught up in the hoopla and excitement of new tech.

1 Like

Well, Nvidia was talking about GPU computations right? I thought their architecture was mainly GPU based or something.

You mean like this?

I’m still confused by what you’re trying to say… supercomputing architecturally hasn’t changed in 20 years… as in GPU compute for supercomputing isn’t new, and most are moving away from Nvidia - partly because their compute performance hasn’t kept up, for that functionality at least.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 - PS5 vs PS4 Pro vs PS4 - Beta First Look!

1 Like

It’s such a shame. I’m a fan of nvidia’s tech, love what they’ve done to move GPU tech forward. However I’m not a fan of their business practices and how they’ve been so willing to hike up the price. I remember buying a 1070, which had an MSRP of $379 when I built my PC 6 years ago. Now with the way Nvidia prices their cards, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the 4070 at around $700.

Just because people have been willing to pay stupidly high prices on GPUs the last two years, that doesn’t mean these companies should be price gouging to take advantage of that. I think I’ll stick with my 3080ti for the time being and see how things shake out next year.

3 Likes