Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Well said!

1 Like

I agree, I’m gonna stick with my 3060 a little bit longer. The tech is impressive and all on paper, but here in Europe, having to spend 1100 euros for the cheapst option so far, I just can’t.

4 Likes

Are we sure they are ‘hiking up the price’? Whats NVidias profit margin for their consumer GPUs? 40xx are very large chips on the most cutting edge silicon process. These things don’t come cheap (anymore).

Thats exactly the thing Microsoft engineers talked about before at Hot Chips. The time of easy wins and cheap high end chips is over.

2 Likes

You’re too kind. Nvidia calls the 4070 level performance card the 4080 12GB, which is starting at $900!

1 Like

You do make some good point and to be fair, I wasn’t considering TMSC not offering volume discounts to Nvidia anymore. Still, if they continue with ~$200 price increases every generation, they’ll eventually price themselves out of the consumer market. We don’t know their profit margins, but I don’t have the most faith in Nvidia’s leadership, which is why it was so easy for me to assume they were hiking up the price. If AMD were more competitive, and I really hope they are with RDNA3, it’d be interesting to see how prices would have looked.

Unfortunately from what I’ve read, RDNA3 probably isn’t going to match their RT performance, so it’ll be interesting to see how the standard rasterization performance measures up. Pricing will be key in how their GPUs are stacked against Nvidia, so there should still be room to be competitive, even if AMD doesn’t match Nvidia’s tech.

Edit:

Ha! lol

Yeah at first, I didn’t see the big deal since historically the 70 series of cards have usually matched or slightly beaten the previous gen’s 80ti/Titan series of cards. 1070 matching the previous gen Titan, the 2070 roughly being equal to a 1080ti, and 3070 roughly equaling the 2080ti. However that was before learning about the cut down bus speeds and core counts in the 12GB model. I also question how much DLSS 3.0 is factored into Nvidia’s 2-4x 3080ti claims.

1 Like

Nvidia partners announced their GPU products. This is a surprisingly funny segment. Now imagine all the ideas they didn’t go with.

4 Likes

Yeah, i also think these prices are a combination of higher wafer prices and not enough competitive pressure from AMD or Intel. Maybe this will change in the future. But i expect high prices from AMD as well. Maybe Intel can undercut them with their own fabs?

2 Likes

Yeah I watched that earlier and even if my power supply wasn’t a limiting component, my motherboard certainly would be. I am already pushing the limit with my 3080ti because I need space in my second PCIe slot for my capture card to make videos. These cards would force me to get a new mobo with a wider spread between slots.

The jack for the one line of cards was particularly funny IMO.

Edit:

Yeah for sure it’s a combination of multiple things, including the higher wafer prices and not enough competition. As you mentioned before, it’s already been discussed how newer fabs aren’t dropping in prices like they used to. Previously, newer fabs may have been slightly more expensive as the process ironed out manufacturing issues, but once standard, they would offer cheaper prices by offering more chips per wafer. However the cost of producing these smaller nodes has made it much harder to reduce prices.

I really want Intel to succeed in this space as well. I like what they are doing with their Xe architecture as it has some unique approaches compared to Nvidia and AMD. I just don’t think their tech is mature or performant enough to be competitive just yet.

1 Like

I would have to look into feasibility of the flexible riser ribbon card, or whatever the proper name is. Even with that, the card being over 3 slots wide rules out any cases I know that are extra wide for vertical mounted cards as those are mostly 2 slots wide. Maybe it would be usable if the flex ribbon could go into the covered up slots, but I doubt it as these GPUs are pure bricks.

I really want to build a new PC this winter but not feeling the motivation if its looking like I would still be using my 1070 GTX. :rofl:

1 Like

I have one of those PCIe extension cables and regret buying it since neither my GPU or capture card works in a vertical configuration on my case. If you’re ever in the market, I’ll sell you mine for a good price lol.

1 Like
1 Like

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 | PS5 - Xbox Series S|X - PC | Graphics Comparison Beta

PS4: Dynamic 1920x1080p/60fps (common 1344x1080p)

PS4 Pro: Dynamic 2688x1512p/60fps (common 2176x1512p)

PS5 2160p/60fps with reconstruction rendering 1440p/120fps with reconstruction rendering

Xbox Series X 2160p/60fps with reconstruction rendering 1440p/120fps with reconstruction rendering

Xbox Series S 1440p/60fps with reconstruction rendering 1080p/120fps with reconstruction rendering

PC 2160p | Max. settings | RTX 3080

1 Like

Deathloop | PS5 vs Xbox Series S|X | Graphics Comparison | Analista De Bits

PS5:

Performance Mode: Dynamic 4K|60fps (common 1620p) Quality Mode: Dynamic 4K|~60fps (common 1836p) Ray-Tracing Mode: Dynamic 4K|30fps (common 1836p) Ultra Performance Mode: 1080p|120fps

Xbox Series S:

Performance Mode: Dynamic 1080p|60fps (common 1080p) Quality Mode: Dynamic 1080p|60fps (common 1080p)

Xbox Series X:

Performance Mode: Dynamic 4K|60fps (common 1836p) Quality Mode: Dynamic 4K|~60fps (common 1836p) Ray-Tracing Mode: Dynamic 4K|30fps (common 1836p) Ultra Performance Mode: 1080p|120fps

1 Like

Cool. Game also requires SSD on PC, a first to my knowledge. We’ll see what difference this could make soon :eyes:

1 Like

Xbox is the best place to play COD. Without “advantage” marketing even :joy:

Series S running COD at 120fps :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Deathloop Finally Comes To Xbox Series X/S - DF Tech Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X + More

Unfortunate that they couldn’t get XSX higher at quality mode. I expected higher numbers than PS5 there. Deathloop that is.

CoD I guess I’m not too surprised.

Hmmm the tweet has been deleted. I wonder why.

This is the only realm I “care” about exclusivity. I want Microsoft studios to focus on using ALL the capabilities of the series consoles as hard as they can. Then release on Series X|S and PC. Let Sony or Nintendo help with port costs if multi-platform makes sense.

Unless it’s a live service game but that defeats the purpose of exclusivity in order to push the hardware.

1 Like

Very good point.

I’m a bit surprised that Arkane didn’t get it higher than on PS5. Parity is not what I expected. Native 4K is what I was expecting for Deathloop. Unless Arkane wasn’t even allowed to work on it for Xbox until recently, but that doesn’t make sense. Not even for Sony contracts/deals, lol. So they had a lot of time to optimizer XSX version.