Final Fantasy 16 Weird Timed Exclusivity Deal

As the rumour goes, Sony want FF to be exclusive to PS this gen, so any expectations/hopes of the big mainline FF games arriving on Xbox should be low. Personally, if we don’t get an announcement next year in regards to FF7R, that’ll confirm the rumour in my eyes and I’ll just pick it up on PC (or PS5 if they release a slim model soon).

Can’t say for certain, but if FF14 has a contract even close to some others Sony has done, then its not a surprise it never came to Xbox. It would be extremely difficult for Square to justify doing so.

1 Like

There is no Sony contract on FF14 considering Phil himself has publicly stated multiple times (even this year) that he wants to (even said “will”) bring the game to Xbox.

Something else is the matter there.

I think they’re in a tough spot where they have to have another hybrid console. I think they would lose a lot of sales if they don’t go hybrid route. Also, I think Japanese market is heavily in favour of hybrid model since they tend to be more mobile than western market

Umm, yes there is a contract for Sony to have FF14. There is a contract for every game on every platform.

The question is whether the contract they have for FF14 including provisions that I have seen in other contracts of theirs to let games release on PlayStation. If so, no matter how much Phil wants FF14 on Xbox, it doesn’t mean Square can justify releasing it there.

2 Likes

I’d love for them to stick with the hybrid route, but at least make the dock more than just a glorified HDMI adapter. We’ve had two-in-ones before that had more power and performance when “docked”.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that’s the key like I’m in favour of hybrid model, but would like a little more juice when docked. Heck, I would even pay for something that gives it more power because I wouldn’t mind if there’s a modular type of device to give it extra power when docked

2 Likes

Yep. Like sure that won’t solve the issue of the visuals usually being terrible to okay, but it would at least keep the performance something I can deal with.

1 Like

No i know because it will be a disaster. But i prefer them to make a premium model dock only console alongside a hanhdeld/hybrid.

Kind of like switch lite. But opposite.

1 Like

Have given up on SE completely. We did get CC, but 7R? “There’s a PS5 for that, you should get it.” then there are those pixel remaster things, not coming to Xbox. So it’s not even only mainline FF not coming to Xbox. SE is unpredictable as hell and Sony, Sony is Sony.

Would love to be wrong at 16 coming to Xbox after those six months but I don’t believe it at all.

Square-Enix getting out the dartboard at this point to decide which projects come to Xbox. I’d love to know what they believe their business strategy is.

2 Likes

The six months is PC. If Xbox doesn’t get FFXVI after a year of exclusivity, then chances are you’ll get it on Xbox.

The vast majority of Square’s projects are outsourced to a myriad of non-Square owned companies so some of them support Xbox releases and others don’t (Square obviously doesn’t care to tell the ones that don’t to start supporting Xbox), and it also seems that Square’s own internal studios don’t support Xbox.

Of the 5 Square games to launch on Xbox this year, all were outsourced.

It’s probably why Harvestella did not also come to PlayStation even though there is no Nintendo deal (Square/Nintendo deals are always Nintendo published and never day 1 on Steam which Harvestella is), the developer didn’t want to include PlayStation and Square didn’t care to tell them to add it.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is stuff already covered, but didnt see this tweet posted:

7 Likes

If FFVIIR, FFXVI, and SH2 are in the same category as Bloodborne, then we should probably just assume they’ll never come to Xbox and move on with our lives.

Would be cool if Sony put that money towards improving their offerings instead of dicking us over.

8 Likes

Alternatively, putting Bloodborne in the list may just show whoever was writing the document doesn’t really know what they’re talking about/a small misunderstanding (Bloodborne is an SIE published game that first party studio Japan Studio helped work on) and because Silent Hill 2 is listed which would imply permanent exclusivity and I think that shows up on Xbox after the year it was stated to be.

2 Likes

Uhmm pretty sure SH2 exclusivity was stated to be 1 year by themselves and since we know its pc day 1, that would mean the other platform excluded is…

1 Like

Switch 2, obviously. :stuck_out_tongue:

No yeah, you two are right, it’s much more likely an error on the part of the person writing the document.

Or not. Could be like FFVIIR which started off as 1 year, then extended again, then forever. We wont know until years from now.

2 Likes

Agreed. Since the only example that we have from this list that was supposedly a “timed” exclusive is FF7R I am not sure we can speculate in a positive light about the chances of SH2R and FF16 coming to Xbox. Even if the games come at some point this whole uncertainty about them helps Sony…for example at the end of the SH2R trailer it wrote “not available on other formats for 12 months” like WTF does that even mean? formats? is Xbox another format? they even encourage all this ambiguity by preventing the devs/publishers from even talking about any future plans for an Xbox version.

Personally until I see any of those games announced officially for Xbox with a release date I don’t expect them to come to Xbox at all. Better to assume the worst than waiting for them and ended up being disappointed. :man_shrugging:

1 Like