Your top 5 games of the gen

1. Killer Instinct
  2. God of War
  3. Destiny (1 and 2, in general)
  4. Two Point Hospital
  5. Persona 5

Oh, that’s difficult. Let’s see.

1. Sea of Thieves While this is not the best game I’ve played this generation, in the slightest. It is the game I’ve had the most fun and memorable moments with. I’m not even a pirate legend yet, but this has been my go-to game with my friends. Especially during this pandemic it has been a godsend. Rare has created something very special with this one. At some times it’s boring as shit, annoying even. But the highs are really high.

2. Planet Zoo While Planet Coaster was a lot of fun, Planet Zoo has really elevated Frontier for me. The coaster game lacked meaningful management aspects and focused too much on the creative side of things. In Planet Zoo they’ve been able to strike a good balance between the two. Building immense structures for monkeys to climb and interesting safari parks is just a great way to spend your time.

3. Forza Horizon 4 The best racing game of the generation. Coming home from a day work, or well, closing down Citrix these days I guess… it just has a very relaxing and welcoming atmosphere. I do hope Forza Horizon 5 has a little more meaningful conten the way of rankings, progression and storytelling.

4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps This is a beauty.

5. F1 2020 I would’ve never thought I’d put two racing games into my top 5. But I’ve enjoyed myself a lot with F1 2020. Races are more interesting than in real life and I like the My Team mode. Too bad I suck at racing.

2 Likes
  1. Kentucky Route Zero - honestly one of the greatest pieces of art I’ve experienced
  2. What Remains of Edith Finch - perfect story and play synchronisation, moving and sad and funny and profound and nonsensical
  3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - play it with all the assists off and it is without a doubt the greatest TR game ever and the one I’ve been dreaming of playing since 1996
  4. Inside - nuts but so wonderful and tantalising
  5. Hitman 2 - a playground like no other
  1. Titanfall - The best multiplayer shooter of all time
  2. Rocket League - Never gets boring
  3. Super Mario Odyssey - The perfect video game and only 10/10 of the generation
  4. Killer Instinct - The best fighting game of the generation
  5. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

This is a very quick off the top of my head honestly. If I thought more deeply about it, there might be some slight changes.

3 Likes

In no particular order:

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (I loved this game so much)

2. Halo Wars 2

3. Forza Horizon 4

4. Surviving Mars

5. Wasteland 3

Probably a list no one agrees with but loved all those games massively.

Honorable mentions:

1. Witcher 3 (it was hard to leave this one out but I stopped playing half way through to play one of the other games lol)

2. RDR2

3. Halo 5

4. Cod MW

5. Gears 5

2 Likes

I’ll need to give this some thought.

But also, heads up @Troll - I’m gonna edit your OT and put a nicer 5 in there :stuck_out_tongue:, hope that’s okay.

1 Like
  1. Halo wars 2
  2. Dark souls 3
  3. Gears 5
  4. Odyssey
  5. Titanfall 2 (campaign)

Bonus: MCC, Scholar of the first sin, Forza horizon 4, Remnant (coop), Tomb Raider (rise and shadow)

1 Like

Actually, I added that “top 5” image, but this one is much much better lol.

2 Likes

Hehe, you made it! :slight_smile:

Okay, my “Top 5”

1. Sea of Thieves
  2. Halo 5
  3. Ori and The Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps
  4. What Remains of Edith Finch
  5. Lonely Mountains: Downhill

Bonus: Lone Echo (Oculus)

4 Likes
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Spider-Man
  3. God of War
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn
  5. Hollow Knight
1 Like

This is incredibly difficult, and as many games as I’ve played over the last seven years, I know I’ll remember something as soon as I post this and regret it. Well I guess I’d have to go with this:

1. The Witcher 3
  2. Prey
  3. Halo 5
  4. Spiritfarer
  5. The Outer Worlds

There are so many games that I played and absolutely loved (Gears 4 and 5, Halo MCC, Wasteland 3, all of the Forzas, Destiny, Titanfall 2, etc. etc.), but I guess if I’d have to distill it down to those that impacted me the most, that I played the most, and/or that had something unique beyond just a gimmick, I think I’m happy with these.

Edit: Of course as soon as I post and review some of the comments, I’m thinking of all the times my wife and I had playing Sea of Thieves (it was a sort of therapy, especially for us in the beginning of the year). I can do a top 50… not so much a top 5. @Sikamikanico thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I go by what I played the most (by time) which is a good indicator if I was hooked or not:

1. The Witcher 3
  2. The Surge Series
  3. Divinity: The original sin
  4. Fallout 4
  5. Dishonored Series

Runner Up: Recore

1 Like

5 - Alien Isolation:

THE BEST, movie game ever made. so much commitment to the source material and a horror title that really gives you your money worth with its near 20-hour campaign. The Alien AI is still some of the best in the biz and overall it’s just a must-play experience IMO.

4 - The Last of Us Part 2:

Not everyone loved the direction of the story but you can’t question the amount of talent and polish that went into every aspect of this one, it OOZES polish and is, IMO the benchmark for technical excellence in an action/adventure title. Also contains the best acting performances I have ever witnessed in a video game, rivals some of the best Hollywood has to offer.

3 - Doom Eternal:

The greatest evolution of one of my all-time favorite franchises, it turns a mindless badass simulator into a thinking mans badass simulator (on harder difficulties anyway). very much showcases the power of building an engine for a game vs using an engine for a game. the gunplay is top-notch and it is all tied together by phenomenal visuals, interesting lore (IN A DOOM GAME !?), and an incredible soundtrack.

2 - God of War:

This falls just shy of the last of us 2 in terms of its visual fidelity and performances but it is the absolute peak of a single-player experience, If I remove all personal bias and rank these games on just technical greatness this is far and away number one and is the absolute BENCHMARK in how to create the perfect video game. There should be a copy of god of war on the desk of every developer currently making a single-player game at Xbox game studios. It is the best of gaming.

1 - Destiny: The Taken King:

This should not be number 1 on any list lol but its number 1 on mine because playing destiny has been the defining moment for me and my group of friends in this generation. I have had more incredible experiences with my friends in this world than any other, and have made more new friends here than in any other game. there are fundamental flaws aplenty, the game constantly bounces between good and bad with each major update but this is a personal list and personally, Destiny is the best part of this generation of gaming.

EDIT: It pains me to not have a halo title here, MCC should be on my list but I excluded it because it is technically games from previous gens.

1. Gears 5
  2. Ori Will of the wisps
  3. Sekiro
  4. Breath of the wild
  5. Forza Horizon 4
  6. Monster Hunter World

Shortest I could make my list, so many excellent games this gen imo.

1. Halo: MCC
  2. Witcher 3
  3. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  4. Forza Horizon 4
  5. The Outer Worlds

Honorable mention to Resident Evil 2, Undertale, Jedi Fallen Order and Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden.

1 Like
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2 2.Assassins Creed Odyssey 3.TitanFall 2
  2. Gears of war 5 5.The Witcher 3
4 Likes
  1. Destiny - the closest I have come to falling completely in love with a game/series since Halo. It has cost me endless hours of sleep. Hopelessly addicted.

2. TW3 - best WRPG this gen by a wide margin. Top tier world building, quest design, compelling characters and tons of content to experience without it getting tedious.

3. GOW - I love mythology and I have always had a soft spot for the franchise.

4. Bloodborne - Not the first souls game I bought but the first one I played for more than an hour, and eventually platinumed. My appreciation for FROM games can be traced directly back to Bloodborne.

5. Doom (2016) - Best reinvention of old school FPS with modern sensibilities.

HM: TF, FH3, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, BOTW, Sekiro, INSIDE, Overwatch and RDR2.

I didn’t mention RDR2 in my list which on reflection feels remiss. It is IMO the best open world game I’ve ever played. A true miracle and marvel. Were I more into the whole time period and vibe then I think it would easily be on my list. But truth is I started to lose interest half way through just because its not my setting…I’ve never really dug the whole cowboy thing. I do think the exploration of the time period and industrialisation catching up the wild west is fascinating though…but the idea of being in the wild west just doesn’t intrigue me so much.

1. NieR: Automata
  2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  3. Ori and the Blind Forest
  4. Yakuza 0
  5. Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

Shoutout to: Final Fantasy XV, Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct, Titfanfall, CUPHEAD, What Remains of Edith Finch, INSIDE, Devil May Cry 5, A Plague Tale: Innocence, and Spyro Reignited.

I did :slight_smile:

1 Like