Yakuza Performance on Xbox Series S

Kiwami uses a different engine. Only other games to use the Like a Dragon engine is Yakuza 6 & Kiwami 2

Point still stands tho… It clearly needs work lol

I mean if every other game that is gonna come out on the XSX has confirmed 4K/60 while this has 4K/30, and all of them look more intense in their gameplay, I think its fair to say it’s not a hardware issue.

3 Likes

1440P is better buzz word for marketing than 1080P, this console is not for 1440P gaming simple as that, Series S is RX 5500 but with RDNA 2 features.

Also i said it before and i will say it again PS5 DE is better value than Series S

1 Like

Also Dragon engine strike back lol

someone get this studio a new engine

But Yakuza 7 is 1440p on Series S. Marketing didn’t lie here.

2 Likes

that true but it’s not different from last gen 30fps, so is it next gen experience ? No

in yakuza case i will blame it on the engine

but expect more games to hit 1080P or even lower in 2 years - 3 years

Did Marketing say anything about framerate @1440p?

Maybe there will be games with lower resolution, maybe some with higher. I wouldn’t worry too much about the future of the Series S based on Yakuza.

2 Likes

Yeah 1440P@60

Source

As a performance target this is ok, but the text in the press release is indeed very optimistic :wink: “Xbox Series S was designed to play games at 1440p at 60 frames per second, with support for up to 120fps.”

Just preordered it, 60€ and it even comes in a steelbook. Noice.

2 Likes

Can’t help if the game itself is demanding across all the platforms.

As for why the game is demanding? I am no expert to judge it.

Also, one game can’t be used to blame the marketing speech.

this is the second game after For Honor

For honor run at 1080@60 on Series S

For Honor is acceptable and what i believe will be average performance of all the games running on series S.

1440p is best scenario.

And 900p is worst.

2 Likes

Keep in mind, there is no schedule with devkits, for better or worse they are done when they’re done.

There was only a few games like two or three games that actually has been done with GDK so I’m gonna say the new dev kit is late like many rumours have stated. One of the big AAA games that has the GDK is Call of Duty Black Ops: Cold War.

I agree that Series S is very much gonna be a 1080p machine and that’s completely fine. I’ve had a 1080p TV for a decade now and there’s been zero problems with fidelity and appreciating visuals.

What I don’t agree with is PS5 DE being better value than XSS. You’re only thinking in terms of the console itself, then that’s true but you gotta think in terms of the ecosystem you’re getting into, and on Series S, you get gamepass, something you won’t get on PS5, and just from this alone you’re saving hundreds to thousands of dollars especially now with growing first party and some big AAA coming in from next year. Game pass costs as much for one year as buying one AAA game on ps5 at least where I live, so even if we go with 10 dollars a month that’s 120 and that’s still less than two games on ps5. There is absolutely no beating that.

PS5 has been much quicker in raising its game prices whereas Xbox hasn’t yet because they have smart delivery. I expect the games to increase once smart delivery is gone and only next gen games start coming, so that’s probably 2022 onwards. So either way you cut it, PS5 DE is ONLY good value in the short term when you’re buying the console (even that is debatable with All Access being a thing) but once you’re in, you’ll be spending a looooot more than you’ll be if you get the Series S.

5 Likes

I don’t see the issue here because the Series S is scaling in-line with the Series X and if you don’t want a sub hd resolution there is an option for you :man_shrugging:.

The real issue should be with Sega and why the Series X is not higher because the resolution is not scaling very well in the 60fps mode with the increase in GPU power.

Tbh, anything under 1080p on this gen, let alone next gen is just absolutely dreadful.

Looking forward to Yakuza LAD, because of the English dub alone. :grin:

1 Like

So on XSX it’s pretty much the same as Yakuza 0 on One X. Kinda crazy.

But I certainly wouldn’t start worrying about anything just based on this, absolutely not.

1 Like

You’re going to see a lot of this. The Series S has been built to effectively divide the resolution on the X version by a factor of 3-4. So this will mean that games running below 4K on the X will naturally dip below 1440p and even below 1080p. And that is BEFORE we discuss the fact that a) the RAM bandwidth and amount is equal and therefore some games will almost certainly need a higher factor than 4 and b) games where performance doesn’t scale to resolution linearly will in some cases need a higher factor than 4.

And please - its already very clear that not many games will run 4K native and 60FPS on the series X - especially once you add in stuff like ray tracing or higher quality shadows.

The Series S is doing what I thought it would do - acting like a next gen 1080p machine - it will fluctuate around that point. But I think when you add more next gen features and add in higher framerates you’ll see dips below. The tools MS are refining will help but these might not kick in properly for a year or two and by then their improvement will be compensated against the general uptick in game and engine quality and demands thereof on the hardware.

The expectation that games would all run at 4K 60 on the X is way way out of whack. In the case of Yakuza its just an engine that isn’t particularly easy to work with and ultimately its not a game where they care about res or frames. But other games will not either (or at least not without sacrifice). I’d note that dirt 5 doesn’t hit native 4K completely in ANY of its modes. DIrt 5. So once you hit big open world titles…yeah…

I’ll predict now that ACV won’t ne native 4K/60 on series X - either be dynamic res OR that mode will have stuff turned down to accomodate it and there’ll be a normal 4K30 mode…

1 Like

Oh I don’t doubt there will be plenty of 30fps games, maybe even from XGS too. But correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it basically the One X resolution and framerate of Yakuza 0 for LAD on XSX?