Yakuza: Like a Dragon releases on the PS5 four months later; save data will not be transferable between the PS4 and PS5 versions

Dirt 5 will not transfer saves between PS4 and PS5 aswell.

Everything from the Xbox One version carries over to the Series X|S version.

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/1309060318614687750

And in the dirt 5 situation seems to be that they are trying to get stuff carried over, but some data are not allowed to be transferred.

Curious how that works, I do recall one of the issues pointed back then by fortnite that was that they didnā€™t get full profile access, but they managed to sort it out. I wonder if itā€™s on a casis by casis?

I think the Playgrounds Creations are stored server-side, while career, currency and saved liveries are stored in the console as a ā€œsave dataā€.

Could be it indeed any online data they can transfer easily, local data are inaccessible to even them

If Iā€™m reading a very embarrassing thread in a different forum correctly, it seems as though the reason for the delay in the PS5 version is (per Imran Khan):

To be clear, Microsoft didnā€™t cut a check and say ā€œThis is to make the PS5 version late.ā€

They paid for things like marketing and shouldered some other costs and Sega prioritized the Xbox versions because of that. Sony has done that too. As has Nintendo.

Iā€™d link to the post in question but I donā€™t know how close this comes to internet drama and I donā€™t want to make life harder for the mods. Honestly I feel a little weird posting about it in the first place, but it is somewhat relevant.

Why are they doing damage control every damn time trying to justifying every moves at Sonyā€™s place? Are they official Sony PR? Are they paid or do they have some stakes? Let Sony speak for themselves damn.

Really annoying & embarrassing.

I read that thread and I feel like the clarification made the situationā€¦ less clear? He says MS paid Sega for a marketing deal, but the deal was not for timed exclusivityā€¦ but Sega just decided to delay the PS5 version anyway, for some other reason? Like thatā€™s literally what he said, but it seems odd. What was the marketing deal for then, if not the release date?

Heā€™s saying MS paid to help out marketing and therefore they prioritised the next gen Xbox version. Nothing has been paid to be delayed.

Heā€™s saying they couldnā€™t do both at once (Why, I donā€™t know), so they chose the one who was marketing with them first.

I actually would like a link to that post, if youā€™re allowed.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it

With the caveat that I donā€™t have any particular insight in the history of the studio or mechanics of development, hereā€™s what I think happened:

1. Microsoft needs content of many stripes to appeal to many gamers, so they reach out to SEGA about content including games for Game Pass
  2. They also provide them with dev kits and money for marketing and while they were at it, offered to shoulder some development costs so that the apparently small team working on this year-old game will release it on Xbox as well (and PC maybe?) at the same time as PS4.
  3. Since the GDK for Xbox is (I believe) the equivalent of making the same game for all Xbox and PC platforms, the studio is able to make the port for all of these at once. Since the game already exists on PS4, thereā€™s no porting required, just a straight translation. With this, they have almost every market covered.
  4. Iā€™m sure that they would love to have the PS5 version done at the same time, but since it doesnā€™t have an inherent userbase set yet, itā€™s the least prioritized version and what with the pandemic and all, it has to be delayed.
  5. People on the internet get intensely angry about the admittedly poor communication, and the hits keep coming with the save data issue. Tempers flare and people go out of their minds assuming the worst.

Now, Iā€™m not 100% sure about how well that holds up, since Iā€™m not super clear on whatever extra work might have gone into the next-gen Xbox consoles. Seems like a pretty clear situation though, if you donā€™t assume malevolence or greed. Iā€™m open to corrections!

Iā€™ll go back and edit it in if a mod signs off on it. I hate it when I see a post that vaguely alludes to something and doesnā€™t link it lol. Glad you found it for yourself, and sorry future reader if this is annoying to you.

If Iā€™m being honest, itā€™s pretty irritating to see all the naked warring happening over there. I was banned a few weeks ago with no explanation or way to contest, but apparently all the toxicity is fine :man_shrugging:

Edit: That last part is unfair to the mods, Iā€™m sure itā€™s a lot to handle.

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen any kind of rule that weā€™re not allowed to, so Iā€™ll go ahead and post it:

And if Iā€™m wrong and there is that rule and I missed it, I pre-emptively apologize.

Better to beg forgiveness than beg permission, they say! I just didnā€™t wanna get banned here too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

One thing is Microsoft paying for marketing rights or even time exclusives.

But Iā€™ve seen people claiming that Microsoft is paying for exclusive cross-generation saves, which is ridiculous. They will never understand how Smart Delivery works and how Sony is to blame for this mess.

1 Like

Man Sony is trying REALLY hard to top Mattrick with their anti consumer jump through hoops crap. WHY on Earth Sony fans always put up with this bullshit is beyond me.

2 Likes

I knew there was no moneyhat. It just didnā€™t make sense.

1 Like

Weirdly, I think that the main problem is the term ā€œmoneyhat.ā€ It seems like there isnā€™t a set definition for what it is, so thereā€™s a lot of crosstalk and confusion and accusations of hypocrisy that could be avoided. Hypocrites absolutely exist but I think the term is causing a lot of conflict.

Edit: The different types of exclusivity donā€™t help matters either, itā€™s like trying to interpret ancient runes sometimes, just seeing if a cool new game is coming to your platform of choice. Iā€™d love a standardized set of terms, but thereā€™s no way to enforce it :laughing:

I could see why people thought that. It is weird that this formerly PlayStation-exclusive franchise has jumped so far on the Xbox camp that they are now timed exclusive.

But it never made sense that it was releasing on PS4 if Xbox had moneyhatted them.

4 Likes

Is this releasing everywhere early for Xbox by 4 months. Japan too? If so that could be pretty big right? Isnā€™t this series big in Japan.

It came out on PS4 in January in Japan.