Yakuza: Like a Dragon releases on the PS5 four months later; save data will not be transferable between the PS4 and PS5 versions

MS needs to do these more, help out with marketing and localization to get more japanese games on the platform. I find it funny dudes are freaking out saying it’ll “kill” the franchise, it already released on PS4 in Japan and its still on PS4 in the west.

1 Like

Haha. Shows how much I know about this series.

What I think happened with Yakuza is that it was a current-gen only title. Microsoft then closed a marketing deal and offered more money for a next-gen optimized version.

Last week we didn’t even have any confirmation that the game would be 4K. We only learned this week that it runs at 60FPS at Ultra HD resolution. On the other hand, we already knew the optimizations for games that were announced much later than Yakuza.

With Microsoft’s money Sega prioritized the Series X|S versions.

Only 4 months is not normal for time exclusives. Even less normal when the game is launching for the other console on the current gen.

3 Likes

I only found out recently myself and I’m a big fan of the first 3 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This makes a lot of sense to me! If it is indeed what happened, then all the people who are furious about this delay should be grateful to Microsoft :laughing:

Really though, in the end, the important thing is that this great weird niche series has more appeal and reach than ever before. I’d like to think that if the situation were reversed, I’d just be happy to have more people to discuss it with.

Even more so just for one game.

You don’t just moneyhat a single thing and get done with it, if Ms wanted to moneyhat next gen upgrades there would be a gazillion games moneyhatted that would only get ported to Ps5 after.

And even if it was just one game, it would not be from a series which the last game sold merely 1 million copies.

Especially if it’s true that timed exclusivity costs MS much more than it does Sony. It just seems like a ramshackle argument to me, full of holes. Some people will cling to anything that furthers a narrative, I suppose.

Savage!!!

It shows you how MS is so much forward thinking and way ahead of the competition.

1 Like

It’s funny that ever since X you can tell Ms is spot on with the features they highlight, and once you have the full picture it becomes cristal clear.

Like “uncompressed pixels” or they seemingly making a big deal about smart delivery that was totally just cross buy.

2 Likes

Indeed my friend, indeed…

Super excited by this game. I played Kiwami 1+2 but just couldn’t enjoy the story as I can’t get into Jap voiceover+subtitles. I loved playing the minigames but just stopped playing after a few hours because, like for the same reason as anime in general I literally don’t have the energy after a 12hr day. :joy:

So, when I found out this will also have an English Dub - man. This will definitely be a purchase for me this time and I’ll probably put at least 10x the time into it compared to the past games for that reason alone.