Yakuza: Like a Dragon releases on the PS5 four months later; save data will not be transferable between the PS4 and PS5 versions

Confirmed by the developers:

The delayed launch of the PS5 version was already known, but the biggest news here is that the save data will not be transferable between the PS4 and PS5 versions. If you play the PS4 version at launch on November, you will have to start from scratch when you upgrade to the PS5 version on March.

One more hit taken by the people who said that the PS5’s free upgrade program and the Series X|S’ Smart Delivery program were the same thing.

5 Likes

That ps5 backwards comp looking like it was put together with duct tape.

Also seems like smart delivery is kinda smart huh. Who knew.

9 Likes

But I thought smart delivery was just marketing talk? Funny how that works.

2 Likes

Sad news really wtf Sony wake up!

Smart Delivery vs Dumb Delivery :rofl:

Smart Delivery x Free Upgrade Path

Maneater:

• This is not a different application/game on XBox Series S & X and saves and trophies/achievements will carry forward.
  • This IS a separate application/game on PlayStation 5 and trophies, stats and saves will not transfer

Ride 4:

https://ridevideogame.com/news/ride-4-on-ps5-and-xbox-series-x/

While purchasing the Xbox One version of the game, you will be able to automatically download the Xbox Series X version of the game at no additional cost thanks to the Smart Delivery feature.

Purchasing the PlayStation®4 version of the game, you will be able download the PS5™ version at no extra cost until April 30th, 2021.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon:

Cross-save functionality between Xbox One and Xbox Series X is also supported, so no matter when you decide to upgrade to Xbox Series X, you’ll never have to start over from scratch.

Save data will not be transferable between the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game.

4 Likes

Can we transfer saves from PS4 to PS5?

Really hope Sony solves that.

This sounds like a complete mess. I’m super curious what BC and features Sony will have day one for the PS5…to me it just smells like this stuff is coming in super hot…

It isn’t even about BC. The games on Xbox and in some cases PC are designed to be one sku (file). XB1, PC, XSS, XSX, Game Pass, etc… You buy it once and access it wherever you want. MS basically just goes by the publisher wishes if they want to open up or close off availability. The license to play is completely separate from the game itself. This is why you will be able to download a game now without buying it and have it sit on your Xbox. You just won’t be able to play it until you pay for it digitally, insert the disk, or sign up for Game Pass (if it is there).

It’s bizarre to me that games like Maneater and Yakuza are implementing save import on one console but not the other. What could the justification possibly be? Some element of PS5 architecture that makes it difficult to create a save importer?

This is definitely gonna be used as a baseless moneyhatting accusation by fanboys.

Have the Cyberpunk devs confirmed that PS4 saves will transfer over to PS5? I know a ton of people are planning on starting that game on PS4 and upgrading to the PS5 version when it’s out. It’s going to be a major cluster if saves don’t import.

1 Like

Oh how Smart Delivery was mocked. Just a marketing term.

8 Likes

So in reality it doesn’t release on PS5 until March. I wonder if this is on Microsoft or RGG. Either way the saves not transferring isn’t good.

I don’t like to make fun, but you could really tell who lacked critical thinking in those threads.

This is really bad. I would be so pissed off if was a PS-fan, are there any media out there asking Sony about this?

Have they given a reason why PS5 won’t get it until March?

That’s especially bad since you have to pay ps+ for cloud saves and then it won’t work?! Cloud saves are free on Xbox and even they work all the way back to Xbox 360 cloud saves.

3 Likes

What a cluster fuck the PS5 is turning out to be. Glad stuff on the Series X just works like you would expect it to.

3 Likes

Because on X1, X1X, XSS, XSX, PC it’s a single game with title ID xxxxxxxxxxxxx… that automatically scales/selects assets etc based on system it detects you downloading on, on PS4 and PS5 it’s two separate games one with title ID example xxxxxxxxxx… other xyxyxyxyxyxyxyx (title IDs are typically long codes with letters and numbers kinda like games own VIN number). So on x1 you play the game and go to bedroom you turn on your XSS and just resume from where it was left off because it’s same exact game with its own asset levels(all consoles have cloud saves for free). On PS4 cloud saves are not free for everyone so that’s another reason on top of the PSN seeing PS4 version as Game A and PS5 version as Game B seeming like saves are incompatible.

3 Likes

I would even like the system - get a free “new” copy of Maneater with a new trophy/achievement list, yay! But the fact it’s not automatic, hence some devs are doing time limits and such for the upgrade, and that of course saves aren’t natively compatible unless they do some server-side trickery like the current-gen Borderlands remasters did… that’s a bad look.

1 Like