XGS Publishing teasing something to do with Fable on Twitter? (UP: it's nothing lmao)

I’m not expecting any cool news outside of gamepass until the 20th anniversary.

2 Likes

I know this won’t happen but a Fable limited-time event in Sea of Thieves would be super cool.

Yeah, sure, the game that sold 5 million copies on the 360 alone, the best-selling Fable game by far, and with a 4.3/5 rating on the Xbox Store needs to be forgotten… I think some of you don’t realize a ton of people’s introduction to the franchise was Fable 3.

1 Like

Imo a remaster isn’t needed, the games are old and no remaster would change that drastically. They need to port 2 on pc and re-list 3 also on pc. Done.

2 Likes

There’s a bit of a contradiction here. If the games are too old to warrant a remaster, then what’s the point in bringing them to PC?

Either they are still worth playing, in which case they could benefit from a lick of paint, or they aren’t, in which case there’s no point investing to port them elsewhere.

Personally if they are going to go back to Lionshead Fable games, full remakes would make more sense to me than remasters. But I don’t see why remasters would be a bad thing.

Because the new one will be on pc, to build a bridge to a new audience; moreover 1 has always been on pc since the beginnings, 3 was on pc and then it was delisted for misterious reasons, 2 is 360 only. I think having the full original trilogy on console/pc/cloud could help the reboot. No contraddiction.

3 Likes

OK I can see that, but why no to remastering them? Surely if you want new players to engage with old games, this is a pretty standard route to take.

Because Fable is going for a full reboot and you dont want people getting bad impressions on those games and associate the new one with those.

so it was nothing at all? :giphy:

Could still be some news today, whatever it is, but if not…why even mention Fable the way they did? Lol.

1 Like

Imo opportunity/cost ratio: to make them “new”, you’d need to fully remake them, consider also 1 has already been remastered and it didn’t magically become a 2014 game when they did it, it was a refreshed 2004 game and that’s it. Console versions already exist and are on console/cloud, they need the missing/delisted pc ports, rpg genre is particularly big on pc.

1 Like

I’m confused… Is there still something Fable related planned for today, but it’s something small and they didn’t want to set unreasonable expectations? Or was the whole thing an accident and there’s no announcement planned at all? Not sure what to think.

They probably delayed whatever it was after all that hoopla yesterday.

1 Like

How in 2021 are companies still doing this shit on social media? Hyping up fanbases and then having to come back to de-hype them. Like…what are they thinking?

1 Like

It seems like they tweeted this with the intent to reveal something, realized everyone thought it was Fable (even though they literally referenced Fable TWICE), and decided to delay whatever the announcement is to avoid backlash.

7 Likes

There’s a funny tendency on this forum for people to act like MS has no financial constraints whatsoever when it comes to buying everything publisher under the sun for billions of dollars a piece …

… And then acting like they are a struggling indie studio when it comes to actually spending money on making games.

:smile:

I agree full remakes would be more impactful and I’d like to see this. But a remaster is always welcome. Yeah it is just a ‘refresh’ and not a new game, buy it still improves matters a little and isn’t pointless. Publishers wouldn’t do them if they weren’t economically viable.

1 Like

MS isn’t so big on remasters, it’s the main reason why I’m skeptical. Among big publishers they are the least interested in the remaster/remake crate.

Nah, they said this is “the start”. It’s the website thing. There will be more stuff leading up to the anniversary.

I don’t know about that.

• MCC was a pretty big budget project and they’ve stuck with it to fix the launch issues for years.

• Fable Anniversary you already mentioned, also RARE Replay.

• The ‘Optimised for’ programme, with Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 being patched with PC Ultra settings and, in the case of Gears 5, being given graphical upgrades that weren’t even in the PC build (later ported to PC).

• The whole back compat philosophy – FPS boost, Heucy method upscaling of OG Xbox games – this is all stemming from the same philosophy as remasters and remakes.

On the contrary, MS has actually committed to the idea that your old games get better on new consoles as a pillar of their strategy.

The only argument against remasters and remakes is resource, not money but actual boots on the ground. That may present barriers. But I don’t see any ideological resistance from MS over tarting up old games, they seem to do a lot of it.

1 Like

MCC and Fable Anniversary were 2014 titles, Gears Ultimate Edition is from 2015: those were the last console remasters/remakes. Then we had the Age of Empires remasters for pc only and that’s it. A very small amount compared to the annual remaster/remake from Sony/Nintendo and some other publisher.

BC/FPS Boost/etc… come from an opposite mindset: improving old games without reselling them.

1 Like