xCloud (Xbox Cloud Gaming) |OT| An Apple a day, keeps cloud gaming away

You should be able to remote in to your console and play your previously downloaded games even if you don’t have game pass ultimate or if it’s not on cloud anymore

1 Like

Right, that’s what I referring to in the first place as “console streaming”. What I would like is being able to stream my library from MS’s consoles :smiley:

Anyone else finding themselves having to queue to get into a cloud game? Was never an issue for me until a few weeks ago but happening fairly regularly now. Guessing there was an influx of new subscribers over Christmas. Wait isnt too long (a few minutes on average) but a bit irritating when you just want to jump in for a quick 10 minute blast.

Happened to me at nighttime the day after Christmas. 5 minute wait. I haven’t seen it since then though.

1 Like

Hm, I don’t think I’ve ever had that. I have noticed the connection seems worse lately. Was usually able to play most indie or single player game without many hiccups but lately there’s a lot of stuttering. May just be the specific games I’ve been playing I dunno.

Only at the weekends. During the week, cloud runs fast.

I have noticed more kick-outs to the “Reconnecting” page, but I’ve always assumed that it’s my home network or 5G that’s doing the problem in that instance.

Still finding it crazy how there is no extra latency for me when playing Forza Horizon 5 over xCloud compared to local, I have permanently deleted the game and will only play with xCloud it’s that good and it’s gonna save me like 100GB storage.

1 Like

:eyes:

It’s the future easily, and cloud technology will only get better !

?

I’m legit blown away by how the service just keeps getting better without any changes on my part.

At launch playing through wifi felt very native latency wise, but through 4g (not 5g as it’s not available in my country yet) it was pretty terrible. Now, a few months later while it doesn’t feel as good as wifi it’s super playable. I managed to play archvale as a passenger in a car with so little hiccups that was honestly easy to forget the game wasn’t native.

2 Likes

Playing Cities Skyline on my phone is absolute parity with my console on 5G. It’s quite something. Not tried it too much on 4G, but the speed difference is 50-100Mb/s so it might be a uge drop off.

The console streaming is flawless most of the time, even when my family is on Netflix on a streaming stick in different room.

The streaming is such a huge addition to the Xbox experience, i can’t imagine gaming without it now

Just a heads up cloud gaming isn’t really reliant on speeds it’s more about latency and stability that’s usually the issue, I think you only need like 10-20mbps or probably even less since it’s 1080p.

1 Like

When they first announced streaming I honestly thought IQ would be much better than what we have now, but latency would be bad.

And it was the totally opposite, IQ isn’t anywhere where it should be imo (though SX has the ability to output a 4k signal, and they have the clarity boost feature which could make a difference, Ms was also listed as a partner for the new video format aiming for streaming games Intel showed yesterday so I think we will see that improve that a lot too), but latency wise it’s surreal. At worst feels like playing on a TV without game mode where you can feel it’s not the same but at the same time not enough to harm your ability, and quite often you can’t really tell a difference.

Knowing how much research they have going in improving latency even further I honestly can see a scenario where the immense compute capacity of the cloud can be used to even reduce latency compared to local hardware today (worst case scenario brute forcing by having multiple possible scenarios calculated and rendered and streamed at advance, but there are other super clever techniques being researched)

And yeah, I used to have a gaming laptop for travel but since it was not my main platform I couldn’t play the game I was playing at home (except for the few times it was play anywhere) and as I result I kept a list of games I wasn’t so interested in playing right now just to play when not home. With xcloud (and even console streaming) since it’s the same game with the same saves, I’m playing way more through streaming that I ever did locally on my gaming rig. Also helps that the ultrabook I have now have incredible battery life when streaming and stays whisper quiet, when a gaming laptop would be loud and last like an hour when playing a game

Get More Out of Your Xbox Game Pass Membership

We’re excited to share that later this year, it’s our intent to roll out the ability for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members to play, from the cloud, select games they already own or have purchased outside the Xbox Game Pass library.

4 Likes

This will be a great addition as I have found the cloud gaming experience to be vastly improved when playing some Game Pass games on the Steam Deck through the Edge browser.

Very curious about how much lifting that “select” is doing. Obviously the more games we can stream, the better.

I feel this is the apprpoiate thread, but the UK’s competition watchdog is considering whether to look into Apple’s policy of restricting cloud gaming, which would obviosuly have implications for XCloud.

Apple and Google’s mobile browser ‘stranglehold’ may face UK investigation | Competition and Markets Authority | The Guardian

I feel Microsoft is ahead of the competition in terms of recognising where legislation is going, and is actively reorientating its business to meet the new business environment.

Xcloud is the future, runs flawlessly for me. No difference that native local console.

Can’t wait for my entire digital library to be accessible anywhere in the world for me. This is truly next gen

Ahead? I mean Apple and Google are literally doing what Microsoft was doing in 90s and which almost led to breaking Microsoft into mutliple companies. What Apple is no different from what Microsoft did with Windows. What saves Apple though is that there is Google, so they are not a monopoly but rather duopoly.