XboxERA's 2022 Backlog Challenge |OT| New Challenger Approaching!

Finished Contrast by Compulsion Games.

I’ve had the game for ages in my PC backlog, but earlier this year it showed up on Game Pass so it got bumped up in the queue. Can’t argue with achievements and playing on console :wink: This was a good little puzzle platformer, with a cool artstyle and a neat shadow gameplay mechanic. I enjoyed it a lot, both for the puzzles and the atmosphere. Controls were a bit flimsy which made some parts harder than it should be, but mostly just a minor annoyance.

That’s a +1 for me, @PhantomFox !

2 Likes

Aside from the final episode, the other Asura’s Wrath DLC’s are just one fight iirc (and another one or two might just be a cutscene).

Iirc, both the Sleeping Dogs DLC are about 2-4 hours each.

I spent about 9 hours total in the two DLC’s, but then I did all the content.

1 Like

Haha yeah, that’ll add some time.

I hated hunting down those special enemies for the Nightmare in North Point DLC achievement. So grindy.

1 Like

2 DLCs have each two fight vs a Street Fighter character. The first match is classic SF Beat em up. Second match is classic Asuras fight.

The other 2 DLCs are 30min anime style cutscenes with QTE.

And the last DLC is like you said the last episode.

1 Like

Yeah, the Yougai (sp?) was a pain in the ass to find hehe.

1 Like

Ah that’s right! I never played the two cutscene ones. I remember playing the SF ones and wondering how the hell I was going to S-Rank those (I think that’s what the achievements are?).

Will have to revisit someday. Probably still a top 25 game for me.

Thanks for the clarification/correction!

1 Like

You have to finish few missions like win 10 consecutive matches to get the achievement.

Love this game, but it’s fucked up to put the last episode behind a paid DLC.

1 Like

Absolutely. Especially with how abrupt of a cliff hanger the final base episode leaves you on.

1 Like

Capcom of those days was pretty nasty and were probably one of the most hated publishers of the time because of stuff like that

1 Like

That’s f***ed up indeed.

1 Like

Ha. I just played a bit of Contrast the other day. Been in the backlog forever. It’s definitely cool, but the controls are driving me crazy.

1 Like

Yeah, you have to have a very…soft touch. It’s not great. But the game itself is cool, I enjoyed it. Made me much more interested in whatever Compulsion is doing next. I haven’t gotten to We Happy Few yet either though…

2 Likes

I played a few hours of We Happy Few last year and didn’t have any issue with the controls. That’s why I was shocked at how Contrast felt - but i have no worries about Compulsion’s upcoming games.

2 Likes

They seem to have a very cool vibe to their games, I like it. I should probably bump up WHF in the queue as well…

2 Likes

I only played a bit of WHF. Wasn’t my thing but maybe you’ll like it.

I’ve heard the DLCs are much better than the base game though, so I’ll probably try jumping into those at some point.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t really know what to expect, will be interesting. I have all the DLC too, heard others say the same as you so that’s nice. I have a few other games to go through first though, but I’m putting it in my Tier A list at least.

2 Likes

Finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3. +1 for me.

It’s a 7ish. The first in the series is still my favorite, but even that one is a high 7. The combat is just so bland to me. Might play XCX soon just to be done with the series and curiosity.

If you’ve liked the series before, this one is more of the same. If you haven’t, this one is more of the same.

I don’t really have a lot of passion about it. I think the combat has improved a bit, but I think the story was built on dumb pretenses and the music was fairly rote for the series. Good world that is still kind of tedious to get around and some cumbersome menus hold it back a bit, too.

Will have other stuff done very soon. Glad to be done with this one.

4 Likes

Leaderboard - August 26th, 2022:

1. @profjjj +19.5
  2. @outrigued +18.5
  3. @Mort +17.5
  4. @PhantomFox +1.5
  5. @NierlyCrazy +1.5
  6. @BadMoodJones +1
  7. @watgreatgaming -1
4 Likes

+1 - Finished The Quarry

Played this is 4 other friends over last night and today. Was a fun experience and the first time I’ve done one of these games in co-op. Was super fun to see everyone’s reactions.

Overall, the game itself was good. Some weird technical hiccups with character models (especially hair) and some really stupid tropey decisions (I mean, it’s horror) exist, but didn’t take too much away from the memorable moments, likable characters, and various routes you can take.

I plan on doing more playthroughs and (hopefully) save the people my friends killed.:joy:

4 Likes