XboxERA's 2022 Backlog Challenge |OT| New Challenger Approaching!

I kinda wish Kinect was compatible with the Series consoles. Would probably throw Alien Isolation to the top of my backlog and have some fun with that. haha

I… don’t think I could play that game. haha

1 Like

Happened to be lurking on the forum, procrastinating. I usually see posts pretty quick but don’t update until later in case someone puts in their points at around the same time. Don’t wanna spam people with notifications and whatnot.

From what I’ve heard, the alien can detect you through sound via Kinect. Scary. Means a fart could probably get you killed, lol.

1 Like

Aha, very thoughtful of you :wink:

2 Likes

I once had a roommate call my name while I was hiding in a locker in-game (the alien was further down a hallway away from the locker room). When my buddy called for me immediately the Alien screamed and ran right for me.

It was a moment, for sure. Lol

3 Likes

I finished the first DLC for Immortals Fenix Rising (A New God) last week. +0.5

I was trying to hold off on submitting it until I had more than a half point, but I have been too busy to play anything this week and I was afraid I would forget about it by the time I earn some more points…

The DLC is a big collection of challenges (and some collectibles) without any real overworld exploration or combat. So, if you enjoyed the puzzles/challenges from the base game you will probably like it. I finished it in about 12 hours without doing any of the collectible stuff so there is a decent amount of content there.

I have started both of the other Fenix DLCs, but not sure if I will finish them anytime soon (or ever). Fenix is not the main character in either so they aren’t quite as compelling for me as they might have been otherwise.

2 Likes

Nice, I have the game and DLC in my backlog as well hehe.

2 Likes

05/13/2022:

1. @profjjj +13.5
  2. @outrigued +9
  3. @Mort +8.5
  4. @PhantomFox +0.5
  5. @ProgStopper 0
  6. @BadMoodJones 0
  7. @NierlyCrazy -0.5
  8. @peter42O -1
  9. @watgreatgaming -1
1 Like

Work has been kicking my butt lately. I posted a few days ago that I had not even turned my Xbox on all week - which was true. But shortly after posting that I decided to take a 3-day weekend and no-life some games.

So, I have now finished Soma and Final Fantasy VII Remake. + 2

I don’t really like scary games, so Soma was a bit of a stretch for me. But it has an option that keeps the monsters from killing you - basically turning it into an atmospheric narrative and puzzle game, which is how I played it. It is definitely creepy, but the sci-fi story was compelling enough for me to see it through to the end. Overall, I enjoyed it but was not as blown away as I thought I might be given some of the reviews/endorsements I had received for the game.

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy VII, but it has some issues that kept it from being really great for me. Still a solid 8+, but nowhere near a 10. My main issues were:

• The game is maddeningly linear, with only 2 or 3 short side quest sections where you have any freedom at all.
  • There are a lot of cut scenes. I mean a lot. They were almost all good, but at times the game feels like you are watching more than playing. (For context, I replayed the first 3 chapters after finishing the game in New Game+. I skipped all the cut scenes and fast forwarded as much dialogue as I could. Those three chapters took me about 30 minutes. They probably took 4 or 5 hours the first time through…).
  • The last couple of chapters just go on and on. I think there was probably 4 or 5 times I thought the game came to a natural “end point” but it just kept going.
  • I found the last hour or so of the game basically incomprehensible from a story perspective. Everything in the story had been fine up to that point, but then it kind of went nuts. I won’t say anything else for fear of getting into spoilers. I will just say I thought the ending was a mess.

Overall, two very enjoyable games, but neither was a homerun for me.

3 Likes

SOMA has been in my backlog forever. I remember having a “drunk games night” with a few buddies in college and one of them was losing it when we were going through the crawl spaces at the beginning.:joy:

Nice work! I’ll catch up some day!…. I hope!:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just finished Glass Masquerade, a very nice puzzle game. I really enjoy these things and this was a treat with very beutiful art and satisfying puzzles. Caught up on a few podcasts to, this is perfect for that kind of multitasking. Very good game!

That’s a +1 for me, @PhantomFox !

2 Likes

05/19/2022:

1. @profjjj +15.5
  2. @Mort +9.5
  3. @outrigued +9
  4. @PhantomFox +0.5
  5. @ProgStopper 0
  6. @BadMoodJones 0
  7. @NierlyCrazy -0.5
  8. @peter42O -1
  9. @watgreatgaming -1
2 Likes

Finished Dead Space 2! This was an excellent sequel, many improved things without straying to far from the first game. Looks great too, Isaac finally found his voice and this game is scary af. The introduction of the Crawlers… that was one creepy level. One among many I might add for someone who scares as easily as I do. Really glad I overcame that and tried these games though, much recommended!

I also completed the DLC; Severed. Which was fine, a decent side story and it was interesting to experience the events from anothers viewpoint. More of the same really as far as gameplay goes.

That is a +1.5 for me, @PhantomFox !

2 Likes

06/02/2022:

1. @profjjj +15.5
  2. @Mort +11
  3. @outrigued +9
  4. @PhantomFox +0.5
  5. @ProgStopper 0
  6. @BadMoodJones 0
  7. @NierlyCrazy -0.5
  8. @peter42O -1
  9. @watgreatgaming -1
1 Like

Im not part of any challenge but i got done with chrono cross and now started Ys Origins on xbox

I bought this day1 when it came out but never installed it lol

2 Likes

The Xbox port of Ys Origin is what got me into Falcom games. After finishing it I bought every Ys game on Steam and then after finishing those I got into Trails and their other Steam games.

So in this sense Falcom has Xbox to thank for turning me into a diehard fan

Now if only xbox got more of those games…

I am very happy to have finally made some progress on one of my “one of these days” series. Just finished Trails of Cold Steel I. +1

I have owned this for years on Vita then on PS4, but never made it more than a couple of hours into the game. Finally decided to play the PS4 version on PS5.

I really enjoyed this game. It scratched my turn-based JRPG itch like no game has since Persona 5. I don’t think there is really anything innovative about it - it’s just a good story that is well told with classic turn-based JRPG mechanics.

With that said, I don’t think this is the game that will convince someone to love this genre if they aren’t already into it. All the things people dislike about the genre are here in force: tons of dialogue, endless clicking to advance dialogue (which is mostly presented one line at a time), lots of JRPG tropes, tons of hidden quests/items that require you to either run all over the place talking to every single person on the map frequently (or use a guide), boss fights that are nigh impossible unless every party member is wearing specific debuff protection, achievements that require multiple play throughs and/or save scumming, etc.

Despite all that, I really loved it. In fact, I started part II immediately after finishing part I. If you like this genre then I highly recommend it.

I own some of the Trails in the Sky series on PC as well, but have never completed any of them. So now that I am sort of hooked I have hundreds of hours of the Trails series to get through. Ha.

4 Likes

You should get started on Trails in the Sky after finishing Cold Steel 2. Cold Steel 3 and 4 are often called the “Infinity War” and “Endgame” of JRPGs. Almost every character from Trails in the Sky, as well as Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure are present and many plot threads from those games are present as well.

Cold Steel 1 and 2 are fine to play standalone as the focus is entirely on Class VII, but after that? Jump in into Trails in the Sky.

Sky is my favorite arc in the series and Trails in the Sky SC is in my top 10 games of all time. They’re masterpieces of the genre.

And yes, play Sky with a guide. Steam Guides have excellent spoiler free walkthroughs that ensure you won’t miss anything. Sky is even worse about the missable stuff lol.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely do that!

1 Like