XboxEra’s 2023 Backlog Challenge |OT| Third Time's the Charm... Right?

Yeah, I even switched the difficulty to easy and still cant beat it.

That is the worst. I can only think of two games I have abandoned on the last boss - one of the Batman games and Quantum Break. There may be more, but those two spring to mind.

I probably could have beaten those if I’d just kept trying, but I have a very low tolerance for crazy difficulty spikes. After 10-15 tries I’m likely just to throw in the towel.

I am the same way. I will keep retrying within reason, but when something is just so overwhelmingly unfun that I just can’t do it anymore, yeah, no thanks.

1 Like

Ah, me and Uncharted 2. Horrible, and very wtf is this doing in the game?-final boss.

Beat it eventually, but soured me on the game and the series.

+1 Calisto Protocol

Taking a couple days off helped.

3 Likes

Resident Evil 6 +1

Wow… What a mess this game is! Bloated and feels nothing like a Resident Evil game. Not an ounce of survival horror to be found in this horrific AAA action game. If you found Chris punching a boulder ridiculous in RE5, then this is Super Saiyan levels of stupid :rofl:

3 Likes

You should already win the competition by default :v

Completing R6 is an achievement XD

Me on the other hand…

+1 Kingdom: New lands on steam!

2 Likes

There we go, finished Fable 3. +1

This was a bit of a mixed bag of a game… The first part was very good, with a great setup for the story. Whilst I see what they were going for in the second part, it was not executed as good as it could’ve been. Luckily I played as an evil bastard, so it was easier/faster but if you want a good ending you have to grind your ass off and play property manager which is just tedious. Very disrupting and quite frankly not fun.

Gameplay wise, the combat was decent but magic super-OP compared to the others which is dumb. The combat overall was a bit samey. They did fix the camera though, much appreciated. Other dumb things was press-and-hold A to do things, a small thing maybe but it got super annoying fast. The interactions with NPC’s was also overly tedious and not as good as the previous games. Also, a lot of focus on co-op for achievements and such so I didn’t even bother hunting and probably never will.

Overall, a lot of potential but weirdly done.

3 Likes

+1 Goldeneye (+1 instead of .5 for game pass because I own Rare Replay)

1 Like

I’m not sure what your game pass comment means. We have never gotten credit for game pass titles unless we already own them. Did we change the rules?

But congrats on the completion and +1. I had completely forgotten I would be eligible for GoldenEye as well since I too own Rare Replay.

2 Likes

My bad, I misread. It’s .5 for DLC. Not Game Pass.

2 Likes

Xbox Era’s 2023 Backlog Challenge - Leaderboard

March 2nd, 2023:

1. @Jorge_Alexander_Acos: +13.5
  2. @MasterLeePhD: +10
  3. @Searsy82: +4.5
  4. @profjjj: +3
  5. @Mort: +2
  6. @PhantomFox: -1
4 Likes

I’m still plodding away at my 100+ hour games. I’m about 70% through P4G and 20% through Marvel’s Midnight Suns. I did finish Legacy of Hogwarts recently, but that was a -1 then +1 situation (net zero) so didn’t bother “reporting” it.

I also just reinstalled Skyrim and 120 GB of mods - but that won’t get me any points here…

I need to find some shorter games I can churn through if I want to be in the race this year. Ha.

2 Likes

Im almost done with Hogwarts. Im mildly annoyed because you cant roll credits till you hit a certain level and I finished the main quest about 7 levels shy of that, now I have to plow through a bunch of mediocre side quests and finding trinkets just to get there and it isssssss slowwwwww leveling.

2 Likes

What are your final thought on the game? Do you think it lived up to the hype or the IP carried it a lot?

I would say it is in the same vein as open world assassins creed games. The main story is good and the world is well put together. However, most of the side quests and world activities are copy/paste stuff typical in most open world games. The overall package is really well put together. Id probably give it an 8/10

2 Likes

I finished it as well, so I’ll chime in here.

I really enjoyed the main quest and the quests with the companions from Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Gryffindor (the Ravenclaw student didn’t seem to have as much to do for some reason).

The spell system and combat is really great. I consistently had fun with it all through the game. You continue to unlock new spells all the way through the last chapter, so there are always new techniques and spell combinations to try. The “perk points” (or whatever they are called) you can put in spells also meaningful change their behavior - which can add new tactics to the game (and replayability since you don’t have enough points to get every perk).

My favorite thing about the game though was probably just exploring Hogwarts. I’m not sure I have ever seen a game setting as fully realized. It combines huge size/scope with amazing detail. I wish the characters in Hogwarts would have been a bit more dynamic (maybe with a Bethesda style simulation of their activiites), but the setting itself is absolutely S+ tier.

I actually enjoyed exploring the open world and doing all the side activities for quite a few hours. The problem (for me) is that there are just too many of them. For example, I filled out my Field Guide (the in game book that basically tracks your completion) to the beginning of the highest “tier” for almost every activity. I felt like already done a ton of Merlin Challenges, but according to the field guide I still had 20 or so to go to complete the highest tier. It was similar for all the other open world stuff.

Overall the game is really great, but not perfect. Even if you hate the open world and all the side stuff there is plenty to do, but I suspect most people will want to spend at least a few hours exploring the Forbidden Forest and the other areas outside Hogwarts.

The game was solidly in the 8.5 - 9.0 range for me. I got about 40 hours out of it, so felt like it was well worth the purchase.

3 Likes

I agree with pretty much all of this. Just my score is slightly lower due to the side stuff.

They were alright until, like you said there are way too many of them, and most of them follow the same few tropes. Merlin trials in particular. Blow up pillars/orb things on posts, move piles of balls into ball slots, or lead fireflies to moonstone posts. Rinse repeat.

1 Like

Hogwart’s Legacy sounds like something I might have to add to the backlog sometime. I love “map games”. I don’t care for Harry Potter, but I take it you don’t have to be a fan to enjoy the game?

Currently I’m not making much progress on the backlog. Playing Atomic Heart, which is great, and there’s a couple more Game Pass games queued up after that.

2 Likes

I have never read or watched a single piece of Harry Potter media.

I only ended up with this game because a friend gifted me a copy after learning that fact.

2 Likes