XboxEra Community Hangout |OT9| Waiting for Developer_E3

Sony must be angry paying for 24 months exclusivity. Heck , square might make more money from that deal than actual sake revenue :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Whoever sign that deal should be fire on the spot. Probably one of the worst over 1 year timed exclusive deals ever.

3 Likes

I said it before but it’s funny how such a big deal is made about some exclusives when they are revealed

People were getting worked up about games like this being exclusive, in this case 2 years which is bonkers and now when it finally comes out people are going to forget about in a couple of days time

All that talk for something that when it finally releases nobody gives a rats ass on either side of the “console war” lol

Those reviews are even worse than I expected though, I was thinking mid 70’s

6 Likes

Similar thing happened with KOTOR , and now its revealed in development hell . Same with spidey avenger dlc , which makes all of The chaos hilarious

4 Likes

I appreciate the fairness, but the problem is Forspoken have no way to give curiosity to audience without a service. High on Life not only has a service to provide any subscriber to give it a try, but the connection to a very popular series Rick and Morty helps the matter. Not to mention, it’s easy to get in and play and many casuals only ask for that.

Forspoken however have none of those. I don’t think they even say this was from the creator of FFXV, not one time. Maybe in the old trailer, but I haven’t seen it. What’s even worse is this game is $70. That’s a huge price to invest. On top of it, it’s a new IP that no one has zero idea what is it about.

I can’t speak on gameplay, but from what I gathered, it can be fun, but it can drag with empty open world, obnoxious character and writing with marvel dialogue on steroid (word from Mr. Matty in which I’m still watching to see his take), and perhaps more that I’m still exploring.

11 Likes

This is why Gamepass makes a difference

Forspoken is 80€, High on Life is 60€ and on Game Pass.

5 Likes

And it’s a 2 year moneyhat that Sony had zero hand in developing or publishing. They literally just paid to keep the game away from Xbox consumers for 2 (!) years so that they can promote their own console. The game still exists on the Xbox ecosystem with a Windows version and Xbox achievements; Sony just paid money to keep it away from Xbox proper.

Baffling.

High on Life’s negagive reviews are mostly due to the humor (main part of the game) not meshing with certain people, just like Rick and Morty. Forspoken is just a less than mediocre game all around. I imagine the score to drop into the low 60’s/ high 50’s when the reviewers who purposely never recieved a review copy get around to reviewing it.

10 Likes

IMO Sony probably feels like almost all of these moneyhats are worth it for the perception that it helps foster in terms of “Xbox has no games”.

11 Likes

Yep

Even if the game ends up being a turd they still got the coverage and attention which is what these deals are about

Obviously they want to make money on the games as well but even if it doesn’t it brings benefits outside of that

30m with 0 AAA 1st party titles since 2021 is impressive. I doubt its that high. But i think GP is at a point where even 1 game like starfield could make it explode 5-10m in a month.

Forspoken will and should bomb hard.

Imagine forcing people to spend 70 dollars on that.

Why does it feel like Sony has caught the Xbox curse on backing bad games lately, remember Babylon’s fall or whatever it was called and the weird mess that the Star Wars game is in.

1 Like

I think its the price of the brick gone up. Sony cant flex its muscles like it did last gen because these deals became more expensive especially with Microsoft having much better market share this gen. I think at this point we can only expect these deals to happen less, and for Japanese games its moreso studios skipping Xbox rather than a deal bring cut

3 Likes

i stopped following eza since bosman left. Didnt help that their views always seemed to favor sony than xbox

I don’t know how much Sony paid SE. Maybe they think they got their moneys worth for hype alone?

Normally i would expect to see this on Game Pass further along. Will play it if they can somewhat improve the bland open world by then :woman_shrugging:

The worst deal ever was Sony paying for 6 months of exclusivity on Babylon’s Fall…

Edit: Oh, you clarified 1 year deals. Ah but still, Babylon and now Forspoken can’t be good looking for Sony.

Interesting tweet but the big difference is that High on Life had something incredibly unique about it (Justin Roiland’s vision/humor) that is a love it or hate it element and polarized scores.

Forspoken is getting 60s because it’s a bog-standard open world action-RPG with an overdose of Whedonesque banter. The scores aren’t polarized, they’re middle of the road scores for a middle of the road game.

There was a $20 rebate last month.

Plus the 500gb was clearanced to $70 if you were lucky to buy it at fire sale prices back in September.

Personally I’d like to see a new edition of series X with built in 2tb for $550 and have them phase out the 1tb version.

1 Like

A question for the technical team over here - another forum I’m on uses Discourse in same way as we use it over here, and the funding is becoming an issue, with the price of a Discourse hosted version of the forum being porhibitively expensive.

What’s the set up on XboxEra? Is it hosted separately on a independent location? If so, how much (if I can be so bold), what’s the use metrics, and how easy was it to set up?

1 Like