XboxEra Community Hangout |OT9| Waiting for Developer_E3

i think once 70% of install base is on gamepass then they’ll re-evaluate Gold. I didn’t do the math, but I wonder if they drop gold and then raise base price of gamepass and keep ultimate the same if it would make up the loss of gold revenue not hurt as much.

Yeah, most likely.

2 Likes

it’s tough because lets just say 20million are still sub to gold at the moment then that’s $1billion loss in revenue that gold would’ve generated. There are alot of people that sub to gold just for online play. However more games are moving to free to play, so it could be an interesting discussion to make online free

Doubt.

To what level though? It is currently 10$ and GPU is 15$. I guess 12$ but I am not sure. Their big play is GP Friends & Family I guess.

Debatable but it would likely lead to more people playing online and therefor more chances of MTX’s

Similar to the CoD on GP approach, you lose those retail sales with GP but you make up for it with a massive influx of players buying MTX instead

Like BadNews said, it’ll happen when there isn’t a huge loss in money.

500M - 1B of revenue is still a massive amount of money. As long as it’s still generating money in the 100’s of millions, it’s not going anywhere any time soon.

welcome!

3 Likes

I doubt about that. Playstation (and Apple) showed that time and time again that the best value offering does not matter - people go after the biggest, hottest product rather than the best value anyway.

In fact, anecdotally, I always feel like people considering “the best value” kinda cheap or something. Like “this is a premium product” but this one is not.

The idea of Game Pass is not MTX though, but the abilty to retain players on a recurring basis for a long time. Basically resolving the basic issues of “most of the people spend money on the game at launch”. But in case of Game Pass they might stay longer and thus generate more revenue (trying new games and so on).

Yep, it’ll be folded into Game Pass eventually but until the time is right, it is what it is. I’ve been paying for Gold since before GWG was a thing, so it’s still a “bonus” in my mind.

Also… Obviously the overall quality of the selections has been declining, no argument there, but… Like two months ago they had Portal 2, which is a “has a place in best games of all time conversation” tier game. Yeah it’s old, who cares. Anyway, there’s always hope for something good. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I hope they show interesting things at the Game Awards. I am feeling really down on Xbox first party games right now.

1 Like

Yeah good points

Still though, they need to do something eventually, this whole unified ecosystem they are pushing is great but when you have PC and soon mobile playing for free, it’s a bad look and will only continue to look worse the more PC and mobile expands, especially after ABK

I maintain my idea that Gold will be eventually dropped but the main question is when it happens. Maybe when they officially launch Friends & Family worldwide. Hard to say.

I believe a lot of their future plans are based around ABK deal anyway.

1 Like

You think so ? I don’t think ABK was on their radar at all until the opportunity presented it self.

I like this

True, but I have been always saying that ABK deal has changed their plans. So before ABK deal, they probably had a different idea. But ABK has changed that 100%.

It’s a 70b deal, their biggest ever, plans definitely changed or at least accelerated

I doubt they ever expected to get ABK

1 Like

I think they had their current plans and ABK only helps accelerates it. I don’t think they’re dropping their bigger picture plans because of a new deal.

gross.

1 Like

Agreed. I’ve said it before, but my money is still on an xCloud-only subscription being the thing that will replace Gold.

Meaning, instead of monthly Games with Gold, subscribers get streaming only access to all xCloud games on Game Pass. As well as access to the same online multiplayer that Gold currently offers.

Existing Gold memberships would automatically be converted to xCloud memberships. This way Xbox don’t have to kill a revenue generating service, but they do get to stop having Games with Gold. And they might, through xCloud exposure, entice people to upgrade to full GP membership.

4 Likes
7 Likes