XboxEra Community Hangout |OT8| Waiting for E3 2023

Haha, is this a thing?

Why do you need to see games more than 1e months out? I’m curious.

I understand wanting to see the announced titles, but using the 12 month window that will be fully caught up in 2 years and from then on we’d just be seeing games with a short announcement to release cycle. What’s wrong with that?

1 Like

Haha yeah, people get upset when they talk about fiscal years instead of calendar year lol

1 Like

The whole next twelve months is good and all, the problem with it is that nothing is set in stone. Starfield as recent as late last year was set in stone and now look. It would not shock me if not everything from that show drops before June 2023. That’s why having this limitation is just not good at all.

But we’ll see. We can’t look into the future, maybe they have a stacked next twelve months after E3 next year.

Because I’d like to see what PG is up to with Fable, TC with Perfect Dark, inXile with Cobalt, IOI with Project Dragon, allegedly Sumo Digital with Banjo etc.

Why did people want to see Hellblade 2 december last year? :wink:

So basically because of leaks.

Because they didn’t have anything else to show? The future has so many teams releasing games on a regular cadence that you will see big new games announced, looking polished, shown with gameplay and coming out within 12 months. That’s amazing IMO.

6 Likes

“too much for one show” assumes that a lot of games are developed and gonna be released at once.

I just wanted to see some graphical showcase from Xbox studios…Would be nice if Redfall looked just as good or like the next COD, but alas :man_shrugging:

Fable has been announced officially, PD too. I said etc, so I mesn SoD3 too and so on. But yeah several of those have simply only been leaked

That is definitely great and I hope next year is the start of that. But I still see nothing wrong with hearing about further out projects. Maybe once they really have these steady shows with releases it will change my mind.

Going to a 12 month format means the “early announced” games thing won’t be a thing in a year or two. The question is, when the pipeline is rolling and we’re getting continuous games every year… why do we need to know about games 3 years ahead of time?

3 Likes

I don’t think there is anything wrong with future projects, in fact stuff that is known IP/fanservice stuff like Banjo makes sense (so people know it’s being worked and stop asking, lol). It’s probably also necessary for hiring.

I do think it’s ultimately better to take an approach like we usually see from Bethesda/Playground/Turn10 and shorten the announcement to release cycle.

4 Likes

No. Its the law of averages when having a large number of studios and third party deals.

1 Like

I do think the main negative with going to a 12 month window is going to be leaks though. Microsoft going to need to put a stop to those if they plan to focus in that format going forward.

1 Like

I thought so before the current E3, but now I am not sure. With the pivot to 12 month and Game Pass, it is much easier to have a small subset of content for the showcase.

I do hope though that they will follow their own promise on more gameplay. What stopped them from showing Wo Long gameplay, considering that it supposed to be released within less than a year? I still find it odd.

Ironically, close to nothing from E3 showcase was leaked (except Pentiment I guess)

And Kojima, so basically every new XGS announcement

2 Likes

Is this really a thing though?

• Forza Motorsport announced in 2020 - release in 2023
  • Fable announced in 2020 - release heck knows when
  • Starfield announced in 2018 - release in 2023
  • TES VI announced in 2018 - release heck knows when

Yeah, everything will leak if they try to keep games secret for 4 years or so before showing them.

It is a thing in normal times. Starfield/ES6 are kinda special cases and Deathloop/Ghostwire were intended to be launch window games but saw delays.

Forza and Forza Horizon typically have a short announcement to release cycle, Fallout/Skyrim has, Arkane’s games have.

What are these normal times you refer to? :wink:

Oh, right! I thought only about E3 line up. Now that I think about it

• Kojima deal
  • Pentiment
  • Persona