XboxEra Community Hangout |OT8| Waiting for E3 2023

A mass exodus when 70+ people are working at the studio at least lmao. Byline used to sell a mild story.

2 Likes

Mismanagement is a problem, it may not be an abuse of power but itā€™s a mismanagement of expectations and vision for the project.

Thatā€™s why over half of the original team left. Is it an on going problem ? No, they found a solution and pivoted from the original idea for how they were creatively going to make the game.

To pretend that there was none at all ? Eh.

Plus itā€™s not like he said a slanderous thing, itā€™s just acknowledging how it led to this point.

1 Like

It sounds like there were issues but bringing on CD (or similar out sourcing) was always part of the plan so in the context of CD I can see how someone can say it was not an indication of a problem.

2 Likes

TI certainly had its issues, i canā€™t imagine that its easy to build a team from scratch. Building a studio culture from the ground up with as much senior talent, there will inevitably be some butting of heads. Jez said the project seems to be going well now.

You of course as always have certain individuals and certain forums that are desparate to push the narrative that this will be a disaster. Weā€™ll see eventually i guess.

The desperation to spread FUD is something else though, especially looking at threads concerning this game on "certain forums " , what an absolute shitshow. Not sure how some people can stomach discussing games at certain places with that amount of bullshit to wade through in any given xbox thread.

6 Likes

Oh its definitely an issue or well, has been and we can only hope it will get better from here. Itā€™s certainly not the only studio at XGS that has/had these issues. But im sure itā€™s not exclusive to XGS either. Once we see PD in actual gameplay all will be forgotten. Its just the wait that sucks so much.

Yep, itā€™s the aches and pains of creating a new studio during a pandemic as well.

I donā€™t think it impacts the final product at all since it was in itā€™s infancy.

1 Like

you donā€™t need a freaking journalist to tell you that extra mansources is helping a game development. wtf.

I think its as simple as this there was a problem with the structure of the initiative, but it may have been solved with the current restructure. If you have a mass exodus then thatā€™s a problem and it most likely meant wasted resources and time management on project if you have that many leave. Anyways, many studios have problems and its okay to acknowledge and also okay to acknowledge they may have found solution.

2 Likes

All this will be forgotten from the moment the games start to be released. See the scandals that erupted before the release of TLOU2. And for some reason, almost little has been said about these post-launch issues.

So there were two engineers team deciding how to cross a road

One team said, letā€™s build an overpass and other said letā€™s make an underpass. They check the viability and one solution was selected eventually. This lead to one team abounding itā€™s ideas and move on.

Either, underpass or overpass, At this point I am glad they didnā€™t make a over-underpass mess.

Yep. Just like in sports, winning ā€œcuresā€ all.

Read the actual article he wrote, and donā€™t show a tweet that was already posted in the thread.

Did you in fact actually read the article? There was no mismanagement actually highlighted.

1 Like

Iā€™m not having this back and forth with you, itā€™s wasting everyoneā€™s time.

Everyone here knows what happened, itā€™s old news and they found a solution to the problem. Iā€™m not interested in having a revisionist history conversation.

You can just say you didnā€™t read it, ya know. :smirk_cat:

2 Likes

I did, just like everyone else did when this news broke months ago.

Itā€™s okay to agree to disagree.

11 Likes

Whatever you categorize as a problem, having a lot of senior employees leave in a short time is not a positive thing. If nothing else for the investment made in these people that was a waste of time, resources and money.

It has nothing to do with CD, and it is no longer a problem but an event in the past. So why it is brought up again is anyones guessā€¦ Mine has to do with Cultists.

2 Likes

Matt Booty brought up that Crystal Dynamics helping out with PD is not a negative thing and then the VGC writer who wrote the original article doubled down that people left due to leadership issues.

3 Likes

Yeah, we canā€™t have good news or discussion without digging up some old crap I suppose.

4 Likes

1 Like