XboxEra Community Hangout |OT7| Define "AAAA"

Apple Is Reportedly the Front Runner to Purchase EA; Disney, Amazon Also In Talks

https://www.cbr.com/ea-gaming-purchase-apple-disney-amazon-in-talks/

Amazon or Apple would not be good news for us.

Apple is by far the worst outcome because they could lock these games to Mac and Apple TV or something like that

2 Likes

That’s one way of killing off nearly all racing games other than Forza and GT. Also the same way to kill off all annual sports titles too.

Apple would be so far worse than any other acquisition including Amazon. That says a lot right there.

4 Likes

I doubt it. Too many of their games are core PC and Console games. There would be too much lost revenue to justify to their board and investors. At worst you might see a few smaller games that would have been EA Originals move to Apple Arcade or something. That said, I do think either Disney (probably the best but least likely) or Amazon would be (moderately) better.

Didn’t Amazon buy the studio that made KI and then did nothing with them?

4 Likes

Honestly, I don’t doubt it because Apple rarely shares stuff with other platforms. It took them forever to put iTunes on windows and even took forever to put their apple music and tv app on non apple platforms

So Kojima tweeted a pic of the Stranger Things Xbox controller and after 7 hours it barely got 1k likes. i can already imagine the sheetshow on his future timeline IF he is indeed making an (exclusive) Xbox game.

1 Like

This would suck so much. Apple is horrible.

1 Like

Not sure what your point is with this?

1 Like

It would be RIP Dragon Age and ME.

Someone must save Bioware and Respawn from such a terrible fate.

1 Like

There’s nothing that would generate amounts of salt as much as Kojima working with Xbox on a game.

1 Like

By the way, did you guys catch Rand’s big on-screen debut on Game on Daily this weekend?

Yeah, neither did I

I just saw this shit again. False advertising? Cold feet? Any other explanation given?

Hoping Disney increases their offer and gets EA out of those three. Really wish Microsoft would have never acquired ABK as I would easily prefer EA (or Ubisoft or WB) over them. This freaking acquisition is going to end up screwing up so much shit. UGH.

Apple is rumored to be developing a console and planning to enter the console gaming market so acquiring EA which would obviously be exclusive to their platform as they should be would be a smart move by Apple and make a huge impact right off the bat. Unlike Google with Stadia. SMH.

4 Likes

The worst timeline.

1 Like

Yeah Disney would easily be the best of them all. They’d keep the games for all platforms and nothing big would change. Or I would like MS to get BioWare from them at least, but it probably doesn’t work like that. Had ABK not happened then for sure MS would be very interested in EA now.

I gotta say this whole thing with EA is coming a bit out of left field. I know BF hasn’t been doing that great, but I did not expect this. But it isn’t done yet.

1 Like

If Microsoft wasn’t involved in the Crystal Dynamics/Eidos Montreal acquisition by Embracer, then im not expecting Microsoft to go after any studio or publisher until the ABK deal is completed.

Agreed. I think companies want to cash out instead of taking a chance of having declining profits and whatnot. I am expecting EA to be sold before the year ends (and other stuff too)

While Disney might be a good place for consumers to own EA because they’d want it available fairly broadly, and I could even see them rebranding EA Sports titles to like ESPN Games making a ton of sense, they’ve got a really weird love hate relationship with gaming over the years. Their management can’t seem to figure out if they want to invest in gaming long term or be afraid that one failure is too many. Might be interesting if it did happen. And like others I’d really hate to see it go to Apple even if I could see them wanting some of it.

3 Likes

I don’t think they’d be able to take sports exclusive, do you?