XboxEra Community Hangout |OT7| Define "AAAA"

Did recent output make everyone forget what Bethesda is? One of the most rewarded studios in the industry. And as others said, there isn’t anyone in the industry who can make a BGS-like game.

2 Likes

I can’t believe people say Digital Foundry is a pro Xbox channel, then you get a 36 minute “review” on VRR a feature Xbox Series X had at launch lol.

4 Likes

I don’t believe they’re pro anything, but they certainly cater harder to the PS audience.

1 Like

Probably because on Xbox it just works, on any game, and therefore no analysis needed?

John has openly admitted he has a bias towards the games Sony make, as in he appreciates them much more. Whether that affects his analysis and reviews? I don’t believe that happens.

Oh yeah I don’t want to come across saying they’re pro Sony more just how morons go on about how they are pro Xbox any time Xbox is ahead.

I do think some of them lean certain ways which is totally ok with me as long as that doesn’t effect what they do.

Eh maybe, could just be a revenue thing because people will be searching what VRR is after the update.

I mean it’s big news in otherwise a severe drought of any AAA games as of late.

Digital Foundry made videos about FreeSync and VRR on Xbox over the last 4 (four) years. The perception is just different because Sony is super late to this party.

2 Likes

Yeah nothing serious was just making fun of people who think they’re biased to Xbox, you’re right with it being more about Sony being late to the party so they probably needed some VRR content for that audience.

1 Like

This VRR implementation on Playstation is software based right? And also has limitations and require some game patches?

Also sometimes there is certain Sony bias there. Not from all of them though, but it really feels that Xbox in some games was casted aside or something.

I wouldn’t say they are a pro xbox or ps website. They seemed really pro xbox based on the one x as it performed very well. I know one fo the guys on the channel prefers playstation but he will still say and xbox game is performing better. I think he even said he was going to play elden ring on xbox due to vrr. But ya I feel like digital foundry is there to support the console wars as it just aims to show which games are better on each console

Game patch is misrepresented here actually

No game requires a patch to use vrr… But what does require a patch is the above 60fps modes. If a game is capped to 60… VRR will only work upto 60fps on any given hardware. A patch will be required to uncap the frame rate

Some require a patch to support LFC (low framerate compensation). Without the patch, the game drops out of the VRR window entirely.

Source @ The PS5 VRR update: tested and discussed by Digital Foundry | Eurogamer.net

Most importantly, VRR on PS5 only works within a narrow window defined by the HDMI Forum’s 2.1 standard, between 48Hz and 60Hz (on a 60Hz screen) or 48Hz and 120Hz (on a 120Hz screen). Normally a feature called Low Framerate Compensation (LFC) will kick in at frame-rates below the VRR window, essentially doubling or tripling frames to ensure that VRR remains active. For example, if your game is running at 40fps, then you could double that to 80fps to remain within the 48 to 120Hz range. On PS5 though, it’s possible to drop out of the VRR window entirely, which can lead to judder and all the other symptoms that VRR seeks to alleviate.

Thankfully, developers can implement VRR patches to mimic LFC functionality, as Insomniac has done with titles like Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. Here, the game is able to detect that you’re running with VRR enabled on the system level, and expose slightly different modes that run with unlocked frame-rates and LFC, allowing you to benefit from the advantages VRR brings without the drawbacks.

2 Likes

Iv pretty much stopeed paying attention to DF mainly because of the toxicity it creates, all it does is fuel fanboy, console war garbage

Obviously that isn’t their intention as they are just providing their analysis but it doesn’t stop it from spreading constant negativity

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s kinda irrelevant nowadays too I feel.

2 Likes

This is cool

1 Like
5 Likes

Better off imo

I am simply talking about using VRR. That doesn’t require any patch.

LFC and uncapped frame rate are extra features on top of VRR.

Yep. That game has gotten rebooted. Not surprised as it didn’t look great.