XboxEra Community Hangout |OT6| New Year, Same Three Topics

Mainly due to them wanting to join MS.

Whether they end up buying Platinum or not, there’s no reason whatsoever that it holds them off other, good acquisitions in Japan. You want Platinum and think it makes sense, fine, I kinda agree too, but I don’t see it being detrimental to their whole Japan strategy or ability and desire to acquire there, again whether it happens or not.

2 Likes

Why wouldn’t it be Japan? What other content can be as wildly global and popular as Western content? Honestly only Japan can be big there, and of course there’s big growth potential in Korea but Japan is already global and hugely popular. Western & Japanese content makes up like 90% of pop culture globally. At least in Movie/TV/Games/Comics/Manga

Korea is pop right now

Yeah, their music industry is ridiculously globally popular. Starting to get big with movies and TV too. But in games/anime/manga still not close to Japan.

1 Like

Korea is an emergent force in terms of game dev. Going to explode in popularity soon.

As for Japan, Platinum want to be acquired and should be cheap after Babylon Fall. Its just a perfect buy. I doubt any other studios are so convenient.

2 Likes

It’s true, but Korea has been on a nice trend, they are kinda Japan 2.0. They have taken the consumer electronics market (Samsung & LG) and Hyundai is growing in the car market. That combined with kdrama and kpop?

train

Admittedly I don’t know much about them in gaming.

1 Like

I’d love to see it on games pass right now. Hope it comes to Xbox later.

Yep, and investment there would be most smart now.

It doesn’t have to be convenient, great things are rarely convenient tbh. If it’s mutually good business, it’s mutually good business and it can be done.

Big consumer market but not very big as a creative force… yet. But It’s predicted to explode as @Hindle said

Do you think Rabbit and Bear Studios (Eiyuden Chronicle) is something Xbox is eyeing? They kinda had the honor of being the only JP company and game at the last Xbox E3. Took a Game Pass deal. Former Suikoden talent.

Provided that game works out good at least.

MS’s interest in Japan is certainly not dependent on buying Platinum even if I think they would be a good buy lol. I also think the quality of their releases would drastically change under MS since they wouldn’t be forced to take in licensed projects and they would have far more support to tackle bigger projects, and less platforms to consider. :man_curly_haired:t5:

1 Like

I agree. Worse part is that you never know which Platinum you would be getting and that’s worse than if you’re getting a bad company that you’re confident in becoming good. In other words, Platinum is so damn inconsistent.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about Killer Instinct what if MS announces the formation of a new fighting game studio (poached Double Helix leads) at E3 and had Namco as the co-developer? This wouldn’t be new to MS they had World’s Edge collaborate with Relic on Age of Empires and The Initiative with Crystal Dynamics on Perfect Dark. This strategy seems very normal for MS and I think they’ll do it for Killer Instinct.

They would need to make the announcement at E3 to attract employees to the new studio.

6 Likes

what i heard about babylon’s fall is that square essentially forced platinum to make it a live service when it was originally a single player game thats what 3 live services with square and 2 of them were flops lets be real gamepass was the reason why outriders was a success in the way it was least in my opinion and square likely didnt give platinum a big budget at all

2 Likes

I just saw the podcast. Thanks for putting in my friends question. Mike really isnt a fan lol. Gratz on phil Spencer @Shpeshal_Nick will you guys be allowed to ask him any questions? If so can you ask about achievements and dvr updates

Why is InXile retweeting shitposts like this? :joy: :joy: :sob:

I love it tho, keep em coming.

Have you played Wasteland 3? Some stuff in that game is basically shitposting, in a good way.

2 Likes

mhmmm

real? fake?

Whats you opinion on this?

1 Like

Game Pass definitely helped Outriders, however it’s a way better game than Babylon’s Fall or The Avengers. I really enjoyed the story/characters even though it was B tier but the ending was great because of the twists and the fact that it perfectly leads into the endgame and Expeditions.

I still need to get 40 or so level 3 mods before the Worldslayer expansion releases sometime later this year. I played Outriders three times in a row last April and a fourth this past November. I rarely replay games to begin with so me playing Outriders 3 times straight in a month and eventually a 4th says how much I loved the game. My 3rd best game of 2021!!!

Hyped for Worldslayer!!!

2 Likes