XboxEra Community Hangout |OT5| Season of the Infinite.. Arguments

It’s not a crappy practice to have exclusives. It’s a thing that entices people to your ecosystem. It’s what makes customers walk through the door. Exclusives are literally everywhere that you go. It’s what makes stores, services, resteraunts, etc unique and compelling to try or keep coming back to.

Do you think it’s a crappy practice that only McDonald’s carries McDonald’s fries? Do you think it’s a crappy practice that Netflix, has original shows that lore people in to check out?

Xbox has to do the same thing. They need people in their ecosystem and they need something to keep them their and be unique from competitors and copy cats.

I respect that you like Xbox Gamepass and only care about it. However, it is missing a big portion of the picture. Ultimately they need more and more people specifically in their ecosystem playing gamepass and spending money in their store to keep growing the service and continuing to improve their service as more and more people join.

3 Likes

You bring up McDonalds making their own fries, and Netflix making their own shows. Xbox has the biggest 1st party, and it will continue to grow. So they’ve done what you want. The difference is Sony is taking 3rd party multiplatform games and not paying to have them be made, not paying to make them better, not paying to get them at a value for their customers. They’re only paying to KEEP THEM OFF a competing platform. That game was going to be on Playstation before, and now customers have less choice because they paid to keep it off of other places. That sucks, and you as a customer should never want any company to do that.

You know what Xbox’s answer is to Sony’s lowball, crappy tactics with buying out 3rd parties? They buy the company. These two corporations are nowhere near the same ballpark funding wise. I’m not going to worry because a remake from an unproven dev on a 20 year old game that’s having its controls completely reworked isn’t day one on Xbox when it releases in 3 or 4 years.

6 Likes

That does sting. But it happens for the same reason I mentioned and is prevelant in other industries as well.

Xbox should absolutely be trying to prevent this from happening particularly with IP that are more associated with Xbox. That’s definitely a valid criticism and not something I understand how they let happen.

It will happen again though and it will happen both ways. Xbox with Warhammer and Stalker are good examples.

I’ve been reading through the comments regarding KOTOR, SE, etc and I think that it’s ok people aren’t happy about the scenario but at the same time should have a little more perspective. Xbox is in a great place now, and looking to get better and better. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t want more, push for change and improvement because you know what? They respond to that. The issue I take is the doom and gloom, and what comes across as whiny, and that’s generally the same group of individuals.

Anyway, looking forward to an awesome year in gaming!

7 Likes

how is it not good for XboxEra, Xbox ecosystem is the biggest it’s been. I wouldn’t be on xboxera if xbox was stuck on their xbox one strategy. The ecosystem is currently the most consumer friendly way to consume games. The xbox brand will grow purely on this basis. So tell me, xbox who hasn’t go any money from me for the entire xbox one generation all of a sudden got 3 years of gamepass sub from me. They have a strong strategy

I feel like Phil and co should be going after the Splintercell remake at the very least. The KOTOR thing angered me , a lot. I feel like that should have never been allowed to happen, but for whatever reason they didn’t think it was important enough to not let slip away. Sucks but it is what it is.

4 Likes

Securing splinter cell and wonder woman would be good, but I do feel xbox is less interested in timed exclusives and more interested in buying studios to finalize a proper release schedule of constant content for gamepass while financially being able to back these studios as proper first party stuff

1 Like

Sony can secure as many timed exclusive as it wants but if xbox buys another publisher and maybe another major studio it wont be good for sony. It’s already gonna be bad for them when you can’t play fallout 5 elder scrolls 6 doom 3 wolf 3 hellbalde 2 and all these other big rpgs on a ps. Add in a company Like Asobo or aa publisher like WB plus gamepass deals and its over. I have both systems and I buy sony first party games at 20 or less so in the long run thats not to many games but xbox has so much content comming its crazy

1 Like

It’s a matter of expectations, REmake 3 won’t erase RE3 from history so I play those re-imaginings with a clear mind and try to appreciate what new things are offering instead of continuously hampering my enjoyment with “what could have been” thoughts and so far I loved both REmake 2 & REmake 3 (as I love both original games) even if they do not have feature parity with the original games (which is understandable considering the huge differences between budgets back then and now) and even if they have (god forbid!) flaws because they bring something new to the table and the overall experience.

For example I had a ton of fun with beating Inferno on REmake 3 and S ranking Hardcore on REmake 2 so I have no problem with those new takes on those classic titles. REmake is indeed the best remake of all time and one of the best games ever made IMO so I realistically don’t expect similar results with every new RE remake because it’s not easy to make something like that again so I tend to enjoy those games for what they are and so far I enjoy them immensely. :man_shrugging:

I get what you mean but do we really want MS to pay so the Sony fanbase can’t play a game for a year or maybe it’s preferable to put this budget towards partnering with a 3rd party developer and fund an exclusive (that will also come to Game Pass) game at a genre that Xbox is lacking right now like for example a character action, a JRPG or a 3D platformer? which scenario benefits us more as Xbox fans and customers? the latter is the most logical answer IMO. And before anyone says why can’t we have both the simple answer is that even at MS budgets are clearly not finite so Phil and co. have to choose wisely how to spend their resources.

I think that Phil got burned (for well known reasons) by the Rise of the Tomb Raider timed deal and that’s why he is not pursuing those kind of deals anymore. Announcements like these are nice for creating fancy E3 moments with lots of cheering and lots of winners and losers crap on twitter fanboy circles but not much of anything else in terms of real value and substance IMO.

It won’t be “over” even if MS acquires WB, people need to understand the reality of Xbox outside anglo-bubble, that is actually worse than Kotor and an issue MS is not really fixing, which is also (a big) part of the issue why Sony can secure almost any game they want without pr negative feedback. If Phil&co keep pursuing an almost US-only strategy, these blows will keep happening.

2 Likes

do you realize Xbox won’t buy every publishers and Studios right ? so what bank you are talking about ?

1 Like

Yep, even moreso devs/publishers clearly allied with Sony, even directly against Xbox interests (cough SE cough). IDK if they can’t answer/aren’t answering directly because of lack of intent (RotTR bad reception), funds (all diverted to GP) or clout (certainly a factor with some entities), but acquisitions are different things (which Sony is also pursuing, we can say their acquisitions are weak compared to MS’s like Xbox 3rd party deals are weak compared to Sony’s) and people should stop using “they got Bethesda” as a jack of all trade for everything bad which happens on Xbox (I remember some using it even for the Gold thing last year, lol). To me the origin of this weakness with 3rd party deals coincide with their weak position in several regions across the world.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s getting annoying, Bethesda apparently solved every problem under the sun for Xbox.
Bethesda solved A problem, many others still waiting solution.

6 Likes

I can’t say much about other places, but marketing has improved a lot here in Latin America, especially here in Brazil, the Serie S + Game Pass combo has been gaining a lot of market. And I believe a good part of the 14 million in Forza 5 came from here. The XOne era caused the Xbox to lose several consumers that the platform had conquered in the X360 era.

1 Like

Twin Snakes is an abomination but im not gonna get into this again

As for the Kotor talk, people shouldnt dowplay it no, its a Star Wars game that used to be an xbox exclusive but comparing it to FF7 is beyond laughable

To me the takeaway is more that it shows the kind of strategy and how cutthroat Sony are willing to be rather than the actual game itself and Xbox needs to have similar cutthroat moves, stop caring what media and fanboys of other systems think, focus on satisfying your actual audience

It’s good to hear, here in EU they made some small steps thanks to GP, but it’s still firmly Sony-land, until Bethesda really reaches public perception (Starfield release, because after acquisition they released Quake multiplatform, Deathloop for PS and Ghostwire is expected as the next, not really establishing it for casuals, far from it), I don’t see anything substantial changing. Lack of push doesn’t help, if it was just half of what they do for US market…

1 Like

In a discussion about exclusive games, “they got Bethesda” solves the same problem that timed exclusive third party deals do. The line drawn between first and third is arbitrary, the end result is the same… exclusive games.

We can say that Bethesda was just to get them competitive with Sony first party but that ain’t it. They had a good lineup of studios pre-BGS acquisition. 2022 would have sucked, but XGS was in a good place already.

Which they will take. Besides, looking back history, Sony was ready to moneyhat Bethesda’s property starting with Deathloop and Ghostwire. They lost a huge one to their competitor. This is the same brand that was held its very own conference because it was big enough to stand on its own. So far, no deal has match Bethesda buyout.

4 Likes

!!!

9 Likes