XboxEra Community Hangout |OT5| Season of the Infinite.. Arguments

I think that it will become a regular in the “concern” rotation along with the usual suspects.

8 Likes

It’s not that I’m downplaying KOTOR, but I don’t like how some (not here) would argue it’s game over for Xbox. Again, some needs to move on the fact Xbox is no longer One era and we’re already seeing it.

There’s much bigger large picture things that need address and should resonate more than the competition getting KOTOR for timed exclusivity:

• The number of big Japanese publishers and developers not supporting Xbox on some of their biggest games.
  • Fighting games skipping the platform as Sony doubles down and Xbox has no studio for KI.
  • Localization support outside North America and the UK being abysmal.
  • Inefficiency of a number of studios they own.
  • Existing IP sitting on the sidelines that would help like Banjo, Viva Pinata, Fallout, Ryse etc not being used.
  • Letting big support studios and partners get snatched up by others.
  • Lack of PC specific focused titles.
  • Not acquiring as quickly as they should to take full advantage of their first mover gamepass advantage.
  • Developers that they’ve worked with and supported non stop and gone over the top to help now abandoning their relations and trashing Xbox.

Probably could name about 30 more things that are larger concerns than timed KOTOR.

Again not downplaying it, but these are all thinga that impact Xbox more and need worked hard. Some timed exclusives are going to happen, that’s just business.

1 Like

It’s funny how some people are really sensitive when the subject is that Xbox isn’t perfect and there’s holes to fill still.

This isn’t the end of the world, this isn’t a deal breaker for the console, Xbox has never been better and yes KOTOR is one game game.

Now, what’s really important here isn’t the game itself, but the message Sony is passing with it’s deal, Xbox by no means have have their roots on the ground yet, even if their future is bright, there’s much Sony could do to pull the rug from beneath their feet.

That’s the message the KOTOR deal is meant to pass, “oh but that’s you guys thinking it’s the end of the world” no it isn’t, it’s simply what Sony was showing, a game closely related to Xbox being front and center, opening their show, it’s a power move meant to show they’re still here and won’t simply see things happening idly.

The thing people need to understand from this is very very simple, the competition between Sony and Xbox is very much alive and more games are going to be timed-exclusives or full exclusives going forward, my only hope is that Xbox is starting to take some measures against these types of deal.

Make it day-one GP, market it or whatever, just don’t let it be taken alway for 2 years for no reason.

I don’t care if we have a ton of first-party coming up, there’s more shit out there than just first-party and I want to see some moves to make those 3rd party games stay in the Xbox ecosystem, no need for exclusivity also, just make them stay here.

9 Likes

This is what I think the focus needs to be.

With Sony having a larger market share, Xbox would have to pay more for full or timed exclusivity than Sony would. However, it should be somewhat comparable for Xbox to say that, they don’t care about exclusivity, go ahead make it multiplat, but since Sony is offering X for this to be tuned exclusive, we’ll offer you the same for gamepass day 1 (or shortly after). This gets the devs that payday they wanted to front, avoids the added fee required for exclusivity of skipping Sonys big install base, all the while giving the devs all the fanbases to sell to, and makes sure the game comes to Xbox.

Honestly devs going the gamepass route should be preferred for any devs looking for that up front paycheck.

2 Likes

Yep, it isn’t hard to understand.

This shouldn’t be hard for MS right? it’s like the most basic thing they should do with these deals, just don’t sit there waiting for Sony to go around the world poaching titles, and titles that are important for the ecosystem.

6 Likes

I think people focus on what Sony is doing while minimizing what Microsoft is doing. The Bethesda purchase is a a significantly larger move than any of this, but it’s effectively ignored. Sony locked up timed exclusives for a couple of games, Microsoft locked up permanent exclusives for some of the biggest and critically acclaimed IP in the industry.

6 Likes

I don’t see how anyone anywhere could say it’s game over for Xbox over just one game. I do believe that KOTOR Remake is going to do insane numbers when it releases as long as it’s a good game as it doesn’t need to be a 90+. A mid to high 70’s will still get a lot of sales but also, Star Wars is freaking hot right now and more so than 20 years ago when this game released. Also, I think the combat being real time is a brilliant decision because it’s going to make the game even easier to market via trailers and commercials that will get action RPG fans who may not care about Star Wars to get interested in the game.

As for Microsoft and Xbox, I think fans would just like to see them be more aggressive but for whatever reason, they’re just not.

2 Likes

There’s a difference, MS needs to buy studios to do this, Sony can do this stuff for any game they want to, they just need to want to do it.

Like I said Xbox is fine with first-party now, doesn’t mean they need to let the 3rd party support fall behind.

4 Likes

Well, they couldn’t do it for Starfield hahaha.

3 Likes

Thank God, but that’s probably on Todd and pure luck.

Can’t count on it for every game…

Yeah, first party is in the best shape it’s ever been, but need to secure third parties especially popular western ones. I don’t think it’s doom or gloom or anything, but with current trend they need to ensure they don’t miss out on big western releases at time of release

2 Likes

Disagreeing with you doesn’t mean they’re sensitive. Don’t be so dismissive. Personally KOTOR isn’t any type of slam dunk to me because of the studio that is making it. They have no track record for this type of game, especially re-working how it plays at a base level. This never-ending discussion about what’s best for their business is so boring. The only thing that matters to any of us in the end is if games make it to the platform and preferably do so on Game Pass. I don’t give a crap if anything they have is exclusive, I care if it’s on Game Pass or not.

So I agree that making sure as many 3rd party games come to the platform as possible should be a priority, but I’m not going to be mad if they don’t outbid Sony and follow in their crappy practice of buying exclusivity for no reason other than keeping it from other platforms.

3 Likes

Exclusives are entirely a necessary part of selling consoles. They are also a necessary component to selling media services like gamepass.

If Netflix and Disney Originals didn’t exist, their services would suffer drastically.

1 Like

I don’t care about that. A game being on xbox and in game pass means infinitely more to me than being on xbox and exclusive because it being on other platforms means absolutely nothing to me as a customer. I don’t care about their business. I’m the customer, and it is their job to entice me to use their products.

5 Likes

If they didn’t have exclusives their ecosystem wouldnt be enticing and they would suffer, spend less and have an ever worse ecosystem as a result and eventually close up because they aren’t competing.

This would also be not good for Xboxera :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They have 23 studios and 40 teams for exclusives. They have a publishing arm for working with 3rd parties on exclusives. You know why this is enough for now and will only grow? because it adds value to game pass. Game Pass is the EXCLUSIVE that matters to Xbox. Sony doesn’t have enough 1st party games so they pay large sums of money to devs to keep them off of xbox, adding nothing of value to their own customers. Those games aren’t part of a sub or cheaper on PlayStation, it’s just that non PlayStation players don’t get to play them.

It’s a crappy practice and I do not want to see others follow it. I gain nothing from xbox having exclusives simply to win a stupid list war. Getting games on the platform is what matters, getting them into game pass is by far the best thing for YOU as a customer. Who gives a crap if they get something exclusive, is death’s door worse now because it’s going to PlayStation? Ridiculous

7 Likes

Sure, that’s why I said they need to do something with these GP deals, I don’t care about timed exclusivity either, I care about games skipping the platform for years or forever because of Sony.

Do a marketing deal, or a day-one GP deal, Just don’t let these games slip by.

2 Likes

Every platform has games, you know what people are realizing right now between the xbox and PlayStation ecosystems? Everything with your account/saves/games just works on Xbox and can be a massive pain in the ass on Playstation. Things like that matter to the average customer. “I signed up for game pass ultimate and went between my laptop and series s in Minecraft and… everything just worked. Even xcloud on my phone my saves were always there!”. We take it for granted but compared to every other hardware platform it’s a damned miracle how easy/basic Xbox is between PC/Console (and generations)/ and Cloud

I agree, and they are. Sony has 30 years of bullying publishers and devs under their belt. They’ll have plenty of dirty moves they’re going to pull and the thing that will get publishers to stop it is continued growth of Xbox through Game Pass. At that point it’s just not financially sensible for them to allow Sony to pay them to skip the platform.