XboxEra Community Hangout |OT4| Meat Circus

Maybe. He would be in a position to likely know how many subs Game Pass has, so he could have let it slip. But he could have also just made a mistake with the number.

2 Likes

Well thats BORING

Also

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/1443271798448136195?s=20

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/1443271952106463236?s=20

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1443272035317129219?s=20 . https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1443272529762603009?s=20

8 Likes

I guess that his response and Phil’s afterwards imply it’s true. He really just corrected it to “more than 18” he definitely knows the number.

All Phil said its that more than 18M which is the last public number they gave out.

3 Likes

I am gonna be more conservative and think 25 million subs at max by the end of the year.

Yeah I am inclined to believe it is true, which would honestly be fantastic news for the service if true. But of course wait until official conformation and all that.

Well would you look at that, it was absolutely nothing and exactly what a lot of us thought it was.

1 Like

which would still be great

yep. Just the whole boom of a few months we saw earlier this year, people thought 30 and even 35 was possible, haha. Scaling Gamepass will not be as linear as people think. But once the games actually start dropping from first party, there’ll be overall less attrition.

1 Like

Yeah sure, even of it’s really not 30 million, I believe it’s really close to it.

I’ve always thought since the prior numbers last year and the number in January of more than 18 million that they would be around 30-35 million game pass subscribers by the end of 2021. I expect they will be at 45-50 million+ by the end of 2022 if they keep on track.

They were averaging around 1.2 million new subscribers a month previously from the previous numbers given so it appears that may have continued around that figure which isn’t really surprising.

We keep hearing it, but I hope we do keep hearing it all the time even ten years down the line, that retail is still important for Xbox, and subscription is just another way to distribute the same content. That cannot go away, so I’m kinda glad that Phil emphasises it more.

7 Likes

Interesting the info about Tencent acquiring all the usual Xbox support studios, they are really a malevolent force behind the curtain in the west, huh.

1 Like

As Xbox grows, I wonder if Xbox might to start setting up their own support studios since they will have so many projects at one time that they will always be busy and it would avoid this situation to a large degree.

1 Like

If this is really true, I believe this can actually push MS to be more aggressive in getting talent.

They’re just trying to get bigger first-party support and Tencent just comes and take some of their partners out? Nah man, they’ll just fill those holes somehow.

They really should. I klnow its cheaper to contract support studios rather than own them, but with tencent and embracer buying everything, it would be way more consistent and stable to have set support studios. Wouldnt have to worry about finding a new support team if the one you previously used is unavailable at the time or got snatched up

Just hearing Strauss Zelnick talk about subscriptions and how they as a publisher approach it just kinda confirms the previous messaging too, that they see it a “catalog property” and not a “frontline property”. Take Two, barring an actual MS acquisition will likely NEVER release anything big on Gamepass day 1, cuz for one, they simply don’t need it and two, they don’t see it as central to their business as MS does. So I’d say it’s fair to presume it’s next to no chance a GTA 6 or an RDR3 or whatever is releasing day 1 on gamepass as a third party.

1 Like

So you are saying I should root for Tencent now ?

It’s competition, if MS is facing a harsh one they’ll fight harder.

It is indeed cheaper but, as I said, the number of projects in development at one time will only grow, so it may become mute eventually because there will always be a demand for development support.

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Tencent buy SIE plz .