XboxEra Community Hangout |OT3| Setting Low Expectations

Your reasoning is flawed, because less and less japanese publishers are behaving like this, only Square Enix and Koei Tecmo. MS has simply not really good relatioships (aka money on the table) with these companies, while they have with sega and bandai namco.

For brand new day one games? Or months/years old games? What was the last new Japanese game released on Xbox day one? Besides Yakuza Like a Dragon since Microsoft paid for the development of it and timed exclusivity? Are there any?

Isn’t Scarlett Nexus in June kind of the first one?

RE8? XD

Come on, now we shouldn’t go over the sony fanboy stupidity “xbots buy no gamez” please.

Ah, I bought the freaking ff15, but se clearly don’t value me as a customer.

3 Likes

Ah ok.

RE8, Scarlett Nexus, Yakuza, Judgement x2, Elden Ring down the road, Tales of Arise

3 Likes

Okay, so RE 8. Forgot that one.

It’s not stupid Sony fanboy shit when I see so many people HERE say it repeatedly. After all, it’s not me saying it. It’s others HERE who say it.

That’s great. But it seems like the games that majority want are the games they’re not getting. It’s not my fault. Square Enix shouldn’t do what they do but at the same time, they do it all the time so at this point, I don’t know why it would even be a shock to anyone to where people get pissed. If anything, people should expect it.

1 Like

There are no recent news of big japanese games which bombed on Xbox, the news would be heralded by Sony fanboys like the Holy Bible, so clearly capcom sega and bamco are ok with Xbox, se and kt not so much. Why is the question. And it is a completely different subject from exclusives.

5 Likes

I never understood why Koei Tecmo would have a bad relationship with MS when DOA and Ninja Gaiden were staples of the Xbox platform at the time and did really well there. You’d think Team Ninja would want to develop for Xbox considering their history with MS.

2 Likes

Im sure they would love to but as we seen xbox not walking through those doors to fund a game or a project.

Itagaki left in bad blood, i think that is the reason, he was the advocate for Xbox on KT board.

1 Like

If I have my choice as to how to think, positively or negatively, I’ll go with the positive while at the same time I won’t expect anything. It just seems a bit much to be stuck in such a negative mood. In the end, it’s still about managing expectations but that’s separate from the tone.

2 Likes

About the Japanese dev/publisher support & deals the thing is that sadly for Japan the Xbox One generation almost brought the Xbox division back to when they were the “new american console”…it’s pretty apparent that Phil is trying to establish again basic relationships with Japan and multiplatform releases not skipping the Xbox is where to start, it’s like 2001 all over again…it sucks big time but it is what it is. I am guessing the plan is to regain trust from the Japanese companies before starting to make deals/exclusives.

Seeing how Phil talks about the Japanese games in interviews it’s pretty apparent that he fully understands their importance/quality and how this is a big gap in Xbox’s software library. Phil should start by giving full support to all these very talented devs at Tango to make what they want, MS now owns a Japanese studio and with Mikami-san in it (who knows a lot of people and is respected there) so Tango may help with Japanese support from now on…get that plane Phil and go talk to Mikami-san, I am sure that he has some ideas on how to approach things there.

11 Likes

I don’t think I’m being negative.

Being negative is expecting nothing to happen in the future, I’m being realistic, nothing happened until now, that is a fact (regarding Japanese exclusives that is).

If it’ll change or not, remains to be seen, but I never expect anything much, I’ll play it on PC in the worst case anyway, best case I’ll be fine too.

1 Like

I hope there’s something about a new Tomb Raider in this Square leak but I’m not gonna hold my breath.

2 Likes

But they got very big games during OG days, so now it worse than that.

My guess is that SE and KT are simply getting more money upfront than what they believe they would make after expenses on Xbox. It’s always about money. Always has been and always will be.

Yeah, the simplest explanation is often the right one.

Pretty much.

Timed exclusives suck and I don’t like them but there’s nothing we can do about it. For Square Enix, I can easily see why they take the massive payday upfront. 90% or so of their FF16 sales would be on PlayStation 5 anyway so why not take Sony’s money? It’s like free money. lmao.

Yep.

Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I didn’t mean to imply you were. And I agree with the historical assessment.

What I was disagreeing with, not from you but from some general community sentiment, was that Microsoft is doing nothing and is unwilling to try. That’s what I view as negative attitude. The end results may be the same, but I opt to believe they are trying to make strides and improve the situation.

5 Likes