XboxEra Community Hangout |OT3| Setting Low Expectations

okay they are getting crucified for being dishonest, it goes without saying sony made it seems like their games were only capable on their next gen hardware, this is PR talk backfiring so hard

2 Likes

so many lies

:rofl:

I think issue was being sold on the “we believe in generations” quote which made people think a game needs to be next gen only to be impressive. Say what you want about their cross gen games but they all have been visually and technically impressive, so I don’t think there are any hinderance of cross gen. I just think placebo effect happened due to Jim’s word about generations, but now I think people are okay with it after playing stuff such as miles morales and seeing horizon in action

So in less than a year

1. Ratchet went from launch window to June

2. “We believe in generations” out the window with GoW, Horizon, GT, Miles, etc being cross gen.

3. GoW delayed to 2022 and Horizon hanging on a thread

Sounds good

3 Likes

I still don’t understand Sony’s stagger releases for bringing games to PC. I honestly don’t think there is a correlation of games being available on PC affecting sales on consoles.

Please discuss this news in the respective thread :slight_smile:

So there you go guys. While MS was upfront with everything, Sony tried to delay the inevitable, they got hit pretty hard as well by Covid.

That’s it.

1 Like

Make the game next gen only:

Pros

* Best Experience overall

*Makes PS5 owners happy

Cons

* Less copies sold because of less users

* Makes PS4 users angry because they cannot find a PS5

* Worse experience because gameplay design needs to take account of the PS4's/Pro's hardware as 
     well

Like everyone else, Sony got hit hard by covid atm. They’re in a dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t situation. Jim messed up with the “believe in generations” quote and should’ve just been honest from the jump.

The issue is not that the games are cross-gen (everybody knew, even PS fans). Not saying anything for months and waiting june is…

It’s not some last minute delays, like I can believe happened for HFW.

It’s just the worst for gamers after saying “we believe in generations”. Words have a meaning. If you don’t even belive in your own words, what’s the point ? They deserve that backlash…exactly like Xbox Live outcry a few months ago.

I seem to recall that I did tell a user on this forum to hold on their assertion that Sony was riding out Covid and why Microsoft couldn’t handle it better.

No one in the video game industry has not been affected by Covid, so maybe we all should keep that in mind going forward eh.

8 Likes

No, I think they just flat out lied honestly for marketing purposes. You don’t come out and say the opposite thing to your competitor shortly after they got a ton of backlash. They didn’t just suddenly make the game support PS4 it would’ve been built for PS4, I’m sure they were building PS4 versions for their games when they said we believe in generations.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Oh ! Jim Ryan knew full well that Sony was following the same path as Xbox in terms of cross generation but decided to let them take the flak and let the narrative set in.

6 Likes

It was fucked he lied to people but it was very smart marketing.

2 Likes

:grinning:

4 Likes

I feel like Shinobi can be very disingenuous sometimes.

20 Likes

“Just business” sure sure.

3 Likes

He says people are way too serious when it comes to what is said but these companies continually play into it so who is really at fault :man_shrugging:? Again, Jim Ryan knew full well what he was saying and what it would convey.

9 Likes