God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 confirmed as cross-gen, both coming in 2022

New news, new thread!

11 Likes

“We believe in Generations!” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

21 Likes

I am going to have to say it but a lot of us told the Sony fans that this was going to happen and look what has happened :man_shrugging:.

17 Likes

People were bashing Xbox for having cross-gen games, yet the only cross-gen games they have are Halo: Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Gears: Tactics, and… Forza Horizon 5 possibly? None of these are past 2021. Well, FH5 could be but we don’t know at this time.

Meanwhile Sony has God of War Ragnarok, GT7, Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, and some other stuff all as cross-gen. Their cross-gen period appears to be longer than Xbox’s cross-gen period. This is honestly hilarious to me.

15 Likes

May as well share in this thread, but it just could end up that Microsoft starts their current-gen only switchover before Sony does.

We have the Microsoft statement by Matt Booty at X19 Fan Fest, which places it around end of 2021.

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices. We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

Meanwhile we have the following Sony titles which will be close to end 2021 running through 2022: Horizon Forbidden West, God of War, and GT7.

12 Likes

I’m just enjoying all the mental gymnastics on social media. It’s hilarious how people do anything for their plastic box.

10 Likes

Don’t forget we have a pandemic which pushed a lot of games further into the future.

1 Like

Good reminder to not freak out about such statements. I think we had a couple of doom posts about Xbox crossgen games strategy. It is what it is.

1 Like

Personally, this sucks as I don’t want cross-gen games. I want it to end on both sides but sadly, seems like that’s not happening any time soon. Oh well, at least im getting Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart in 9 days.

Funny thing is that Microsoft will most likely end cross-gen before Sony. Of course, I believe this will backfire on Microsoft. They got heat for being cross-gen while Sony hasn’t received much if any heat for being cross-gen so I can easily see this being turned around against Microsoft if they end cross-gen sooner and Sony doesn’t.

Media will bash anything Xbox does and defend sony so wouldn’t be surprised

6 Likes

Sad but true.

Yes and no. I switched my view of console, at least the Xbox, to be more like PC, where part of the experience is the uplift for all my existing games. I guess it started with the mid-gen last-gens with the OneX and 4Pro. They both made gaming more enjoyable even though it was the same titles, just some additions here and there. Yes, I want the high-production insane quality games, but improving my play experiences is just as valuable. The NVMEs and CPUs really delivered on those Quality of Life improvements.

3 Likes

Yep I commend team Xbox for being brutally honest and transparent

2 Likes

But… muh generations?

:rofl:

9 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Great news IMO. I’ve been getting really into driving games lately so Gran Turismo 7 was something I had my eye on. At this rate I may never actually need a PS5. :laughing:

2 Likes

I agree in regards to making the previous gen games better in every way. That’s great. But I personally own a Series X and PS5 for NEW games only released for this generation. I’m done with last gen and I don’t want old shit. Plain and simple. There’s been generations where I waited years to buy a next gen console for the games that I wanted to play on them but I never once ever cried or complained like so many do nowadays where they believe that they’re entitled to everything their way when they’re not.

Business wise, makes sense but as a gamer since NES, I have never liked cross-gen and never will when it comes to the hardware manufacturers. To me, if you’re releasing and thus selling new hardware, you need to move forward and move on from the past because if not, then honestly, why even bother having new hardware in the first place?

I look at Ratchet and it’s the second most impressive game I have seen this generation and if it had to run on PS4, when transitioning from planet to planet or dimension to dimension, we would get stuck with a loading screen which completely kills the immersion and benefit of what the game is trying to do so im happy that there is no PS4 version of Ratchet.

Honestly, I want to play current generation games, not last generation games because if I did, I would have just kept my PS4 Pro and that’s it.

1 Like

Here’s where we can really appreciate Xbox’s transparency right from the beginning. We knew that we’d see titles on both past and current gen consoles for the first year or two. The idea of cross-gen games at the start of a generation never should have surprised anyone.

Some of the back tracking and about turns in other spaces on the web are entertaining.

Jim Ryan just doesn’t do it for me. I understand he’s another exec in the corporate world but he seems to eat crow on a lot of things and seems like the less personable or connected of the bunch.

9 Likes

Haha same, my PS4 will keep on trucking with a game here and there. Might even be a not-hideous PS5 out once I need to buy one lol.

1 Like

Why would this backfire on Microsoft? People are thirsting for next-gen experiences, as evidenced by the reception of, for example, Horizon Forbidden West (which, while not next-gen, true, was an incredible visual showcase).

4 Likes