XboxEra Community Hangout |OT2| Cracking down on shitposting

And that’s how Gamepass shows it’s value, any new franchise will get it’s time under the sun. People will download it and know if it’s a good game or not for them.

If I’m afraid a game might not be my kind of game, i’ll never buy it at full price, I’ll only know if I love it if I try it. People will never love a game by watching trailers, it’s always a risk.

MS should market game pass better than what it’s doing now (at least here), the value perception it’s still not very strong here in EU. If they begin to scream all over the rooftops “13€ at month for these games day one”, well, they can regain at least the 360 numbers. As of now it’s much better than Xbox One, but Sony is really strong here and people are willing to spend much more money only for brand awareness.

2 Likes

I agree, if I was a developer XGS/Bethesda would be the place to be.

I can almost guarantee that if Bend’s new IP does not hit Sony’s targets that studio is done for. Just having to deal with that kind of stress when there is a better option sounds terrible.

5 Likes

Indeed, at this point this isn’t about making the game you want, but making the game you need to make to still have a job tomorrow.

This is terrible, even outside XGS/Bethesda there are better places to be.

The situation was the same at microsoft game studios before the Phil revolution: as a first party they had to produce high quality hits or they were done, MS canned many studios in the past for this reason.

2 Likes

when’s this weekend’s podcast with Adam happening?

2 Likes

Personally I say to this guy :fu::grinning:

I’ll buy a game for whatever price I think is right. You clown.

4 Likes

I also live in Europe, it’s been “Sonyland” for as long as I can remember. The bias towards Sony is strong, but in the case of my country there absolutely is a reason for that and Sony does deserve their success locally. I live in Portugal and Sony is the only one of the 3 hardware manufacturers who dubs and subs their games in European Portuguese. Not even Nintendo, who is very geared towards children, does that here. Everytime my sister wants to play Animal Crossing on my Switch I have to be her personal translator, and it’s a turn-off, for her and me.

Sony is also the one of the 3 who most heavily invests in targeted local advertising in our country, specifically billboards and TV spots. Nintendo started to do that after the Switch and I’d say they could be gaining some market share, but I don’t have the numbers to back that up. It just feels like it.

The bias towards Sony is so big that I even got side-eyed by some colleagues at work for getting the Series X instead of the PS5.

3 Likes

Will this be the week?

6 Likes

I fully understand your situation, here in Italy MS has a stronger presence (more localization, in Milan is located their mediterranean headquarters and soon one of their billion dollars azure datacenters, services are on par with uk, france and germany, etc), but traditional marketing is zero (tv ads and billboards) and organic/web marketing is not really effective with parents and/or people who doesn’t really know the brand, so the situation is clearly better (I know several ex sony only guys who have switched for game pass), but MS should do more if they want to penetrate the market.

Yep, localisation is the best thing of Sony studios imo, they are obviously more geared to do it because of their cinema/tv studios, but MS here is really known to not localize much, even their own stuff (only halo and geara are guaranteed to receive dub and even halo war 2 was not dubbed) and this is another lost point with ps on top of several other ones.

@Thanathorn why this week?

I love to see the goal posts move.The narrative from Sony fans was that Xbox had no games, or only halo, gears and forza. Then it was I’ll just play it on pc. Then they went to they are all coming to last gen. Now it’s they are all years and years away.

I find this extremely funny. Because there first goal post was a valid argument. If you didn’t like halo gears or forza then it made perfect sense why you wouldn’t want an Xbox. This goalpost stood for a long time. But after that they started jumping around.

Once Xbox started getting more games. Things started switching to “oh I’ll just play it on pc”. A few years later and here is Sony starting to put their games on pc. Then they started discrediting games because they where coming to last gen. God of war and horizon zero dawn 2 both get anounced as cross gen games. Sony fans panic and switch to their final stand. They know the onslaught of Xbox games will begin soon so they’ve fallen back on “they are years and years away”. Well guess what. Grand turismo got delayed to 2022, and what do we think is about to happen to god of war and horizon 2?

Do I think they will find something else to Kling to once Xbox is pumping out games? Yes, and I can’t wait to see what it is.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Haven’t heard from them yet, but I believe they were recording it yesterday.

More Ive played Outriders the more bored Ive gotten. Dont think it helps that I played this and division 2 back to back.

1 Like

One area I’d love to see Xbox improve from last gen is the marketing partnerships they enter into. It seems like they missed on so many, from Evolve to Battlefield to Cyberpunk, etc. They need to be able to associate the “best” games with the brand, and they couldn’t figure it out.

1 Like

I know this is a bit of a nothingburger but regarding the ‘typhoon game’ teased by Jez, Matty from DD podcast said that he knows what it is and it sounds ‘really really unique’ and he thinks ‘people will be stoked when they see it’.

They were very unlucky, like who would have ever foreseen disasters like F76 or Cyberpunk 2077 or even BFV, anyone thought they were guaranteed hits. Fallen Order was a very successful partnership.

1 Like
5 Likes

Such a weird thing to say because not everybody can afford buying games full price at launch and there are risks buying day one.

Anyways, I think this does somewhat show the pressure of how traditional development works because games doesn’t do well in metacritic and that can axe franchise. Meanwhile, the gamepass method Microsoft is doing allows for more risks and less pressure to hit certain metrics that are somewhat out of their control.

1 Like

I have been thinking this for years. In some ways though, Microsoft has had rotten luck because the likes of Battlefield, Fallout and Cyberpunk should have been fairly safe bets.

I have mentioned this today as well. I love this hobby of mine but I cannot deny that it is expensive and for many people they simply cannot afford to buy a load of games every year at full price.

3 Likes