XboxEra Community Hangout |OT12| The Dirty Dozen

I imagine it will work like the Steamdeck. That it will be a set spec and have large compatibility with Windows titles over the last 40 years.

As long as they release on Steam. Which they will, sooner or later. Sony can’t afford to shun steam.

3 Likes

People overestimate how much the average person who buys an Xbox console is interested in Steam. Even if Steam is imon the console most purchases will be made on the Xbox store.

1 Like

That’s probably the play here. Apple probably expects the same on iOS and Google the same on Android; even with competing stores most people will use the default one anyway.

It’s a good marketing bullet point though to say that your console can run all PC games as well, including the library of your competition!

2 Likes

I think you’re over thinking it. Steam games will cost what steam games cost. If a game supports controller it’d support controller and if it doesn’t I hope you have a kb/m or do your research.

If Sony has the capability and feels that this sort of an Xbox is a threat to them then they may black particular SKUs of hardware from having access to their games. Nobody here really knows if that capability exists because I don’t believe there is any precedent for a publisher specifically blocking certain hardware.

1 Like

Nah games aren’t really cheaper on Steam, there are more deals maybe. Also I doubt many will move to Steam more a play of a universal platform and will probably start publishers sticking to their storefronts especially when they can have it on both PC and console. We just saw PlayStation pull Hell divers from 177 countries Japan included so I imagine they will pull their games from Steam or delist it. Xbox is probably hoping this will push everyone to just being publishers where the hardware can be universal like DVD or Blu-ray players. If you use the Xbox app you will see similar with EA, RIOT and XGS, Ubisoft and the rest.

Although I think this particular claim is BS I think the price is about right. They were last valued at $7.7B in 2022, you would however think they would be valued much higher though as the defacto PC store.

Legitimacy aside we do know from leaked emails that Xbox have been interested in acquiring them before and as the console market is shrinking it would be the smartest move they could make right now IMO.

I think more PC gamers would sign up to GamePass if it was integrated with Steam and native GamePass support on my SteamDeck would be freaking awesome :sunglasses:.

Then going forward they can ditch the console and simply release Xbox branded PC’s with a console like UI. They would only have to create one PC build for their game instead of Console(s) & PC.

I think the biggest integration issue would be Linux & Proton vs Windows. Microsoft would likely want to enforce Windows and TBH I think Microsoft would ruin what makes Valve/Steam so great.

1 Like

The rumor is just that another nonsense to spark outrage. I think Microsoft has a good handle of things with windows as they transition in with Copilot PCs releasing from June. They don’t need to buy Steam especially now with their idea of Xbox everywhere and opening their platforms. Their play is Game Pass and an attempt to expand the industry by making it similar to other industries like the movie and music one where all content is playable on one platform or format.

I think they are already instituting this into the Xbox app where every game is now grouped under a publisher. The Xbox engineers were some time ago tweeting about it with the way they were attempting on bringing ABK games to the Xbox app and the console.

Just a reminder that Jez is posting this on X, where he posts opinion, musings, without any evidence.

1 Like

It would definitely make the multiplatform pill much easier to swallow. Especially since you’d be able to by PS games on steam. It’s pretty much the ONLY reason I’d buy the next gen xbox if they went full multiplatform.

I think console going multi platform will stunt Game Pass growth on console (less console sales, less subscribers) and Game Pass growth on PC is stunted by not being on Steam.

If Game Pass is really their play (emphasis because I think their play is now software sales) then they need to move differently on either console (sell more, or bring the service to multiple platforms) or PC (convert the Steam user somehow).

2 Likes

Wrong it actually guarantees more consoles sold. opening the platform makes it more desirable and connects it with PC completely. At the AI event Yusuf said they estimate more than 50 million Copilot PCs would be sold within the next 12 months and the prices start at 999 or 1000 dollars. Bringing Steam and other storefronts opens their bases to Game Pass on these devices.

2 Likes

https://x.com/tomwarren/status/1793439008187384036?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

7 Likes

Im trying to make sense of the logic in this post. Selling 50 million PCs translates to selling more consoles how?

Because they’re buying them for 35B /s

1 Like

Game Pass requires access to devices that can support it not just consoles. The point here is if they are estimating over 50 million Copilot PCs in 12 months in a difficult year one would think it would only grow faster from there. Also, those 50 million plus PCs will all come with NPUs capable of over 40 trillion operations per second and more powerful than the series S. They demoed Xbox at the AI event so I think it’s only fitting that those PCs will be capable of natively handling GamePass which will be built into them.
Perhaps something else here is the Nextgen Xbox might be more or less a PC so that could be a huge benefit here.

1 Like

is he he being serious or saying this in a way thats true?

Either way if they do great. I think it will be good for pc gamers and console gamers. If not all well. im not gonna worry about it

He is specifically saying they rumor they are doing that is wrong.

Microsoft has been unsuccessful in convincing Windows gamers to use the Xbox Store/Game Pass. If they want to take advantage of that 50 million then they gotta do something differently.

1 Like

He’s being serious his other tweet pretty much said it was a pipe dream. I think he’s just trying to address it before it goes off the rail since this has been gaining traction.

well showcase season is fast approching. im expecting all sorts of wild rumors

1 Like

Do watch the AI event. Also, Microsoft hasn’t really done much when it comes to PC gaming, No marketing, very small library. The fact they even have as many subs on PC they have is amazing. Play Anywhere is only for few games, the vast majority of games are not in their store even the popular and common ones. Only 10 Ubisoft games , No GTA games and the list goes on. If Sarah can bring the entire catalogue or library of games that have been on Xbox since inception to date that would be a big step against Steam that supposedly has over 50,000 titles. I guess to me if the PC store has all Xbox games and is marketed I think it will do very well. After all what’s the difference between it and a PC at that point.

Personally, I think if Microsoft can get serious and move in this direction with PC I think they can easily get over 100 million subs.

1 Like