XboxEra Community Hangout |OT12| The Dirty Dozen

https://x.com/idlesloth84_/status/1786080491826794930?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

8 Likes

https://x.com/gematsu/status/1786081806153887887?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

Say your prayer, CoD.

3 Likes

https://x.com/shinobi602/status/1786088807923691974?s=46&t=jjXxOoE4yWMd4fG6_-MQMQ

1 Like

This is what was expected, Paramount shareholders want to sell to Sony, but Redstone prefers to negotiate with Skydance. Iā€™m surprised Comcast isnā€™t making an offer, but theyā€™re already in a lot of debt. It would be terrible if Sony won, but I think the merger with Skydance has a good chance of happening.

Not sure on this one, based on 2023 numbers from Wikipedia, itā€™s the 4th biggest player buying the 5th biggest to become 3rd biggest. It still seems like something that should get attention of regulators though. Hopefully they look at the details thoroughly.

2 Likes

The same regulators that allowed Sony to buy Crunchyroll? No, I donā€™t think that would be a problem, especially since you have Disney/Fox which dominates the market. Even a merger between Paramount and Comcast could be authorized with the right arguments.

1 Like

Yes! Top Gun 3 with Madame Web writers and crew will sell like hot cakes!

4 Likes

https://x.com/wario64/status/1786101341942682064?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

1 Like

Got to say Iā€™m slightly nervous if it turned out great and stole CoDā€™s lunch - the previews have been pretty good.

Iā€™m sure Xbox / ABK have it more than handled and CoD will continue to be a juggernaut but I am a little concerned what happens if / when the CoD train finally stops and Xbox are left with the bill - it might lead to major layoffs as Xbox doesnā€™t have the revenue to sustain that headcount without CoD money, but also the loss on that year might lead to severe cost cutting elsewhere.

Doubt itā€™ll happen but Iā€™ll be keeping an eye on it anyway as it is a slight worry

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m aware of that, but global movie and TV market likely will get more awareness than what is generally misperceived to be a niche market (and definitely should also have been reviewed).

Iā€™m not saying this wonā€™t be approved, Iā€™m saying it should trigger a review.

Really terrible what Take Two is doing. I expect other studios to be shut down after the poor performance. Probably one of the worst publishers in the industry.

3 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/1cim6ea/microsoft_will_allow_streaming_of_your_own_games/

Looks like they couldnā€™t get Persona 6 as exclusive

3 Likes

May distract Sony from PlayStation so might help in the short term, and having looked at the IP itā€™s got Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s much weā€™d lose if Sony used them for exclusives?

Not ideal though Sony owning the people making the Halo TV series lol

It will be analyzed, like all big acquisitions, but they can argue that the Disney/Fox merger was authorized a few years ago and that Sony Pictures needs Paramount to survive. They can also argue that Amazon, Netflix and Apple entered the industry and changed the balance of power. But I really think that Paramount will merge with Skydance and enter into an agreement with Comcast for a common SVOD platform (SkyShowtime) as is already the case in some European countries.

They donā€™t use their own IP, I would be surprised if they used Paramountā€™s IP lol

1 Like

Ubisoft wanting a bunch of money for Xbox to stream games they own is kind of wild to me. Damn CMA.

5 Likes

Oh god, I just imagined thatā€¦ :nauseated_face:

Sounds like complete nonsense to me

Weā€™ve seen how little value MS seeā€™s in making these console exclusive deals these days and the cost of cutting out PS and Switch from Persona 6 would be absurd

Only way I can see this being real was if it was a low ball offer that was worth throwing out because thereā€™s no way MS was throwing out the amount of money that would be required for a deal like this

2 Likes

I think I interpreted it as exclusive deal for streaming, not console.

2 Likes

I played the XDefiant beta and it was kind of good and pretty fun to play, but a bit too fast paced and hectic like the older COD games. And it still had that F2P look and feel.

COD is its own thing since forever. It will still be that juggernaut of a game. Also, COD is many many things now. Itā€™s on mobile, itā€™s Warzone, has a campaign spanning multiple time periods, Zombies mode and a classic MP too. It is the safest this franchise as ever been.

2 Likes

I wish CoD was still for me, but it isnā€™t. Tired of the same old fast faced gameplay every year, and just the overall feeling.

Then I see games such as Ready or Not and shit man, I miss these kind of games on consoles. Games where thereā€™s tension during a mission, where one bullet can kill you, realism.

Rainbow Six Rogue Spear and Raven Shield years ago had stuff like if you got hit in the arm your aim would be way worse and youā€™d see it visually too, or get hit in the leg and youā€™d drag your leg and be slower.

This was Raindow Six in its prime, even though I absolutely did enjoy the (heavily) casualized console entries.

2 Likes