XboxEra Community Hangout |OT12| The Dirty Dozen

Yeah, I was likely gaming and just didn’t even cross my mind.

1 Like

lol the image made me laugh. That’s right you did. I didn’t watch this week since I’m actually on a marathon with Wrestlemania, seeing how much it has changed over time. It’s amazing how you can tell what was the style at the time.

1 Like

I think Nadella is just doing what any CEO would do, they are in it for the money not winning. The third-party thing Peter views as a way for Xbox testing the waters and the ecosystem of their competitors. Consoles are on the decline and even Shawn Layden mentions once your budget goes over 200 million it becomes your Achilles heel, Nintendo will probably start facing that reality once their next console arrives. Peter even puts forth the idea that the PS5 could be it for Sony.

1 Like

Yeah definitely, already seeing PS change course as well. Gaming just a bloodbath at present.

1 Like

I think if xbox does a hybrid console as well as a traditional one it can turn things around. even if they release x amount of games on other platforms i think going mobile will get people to fogive a lot. Look at switch people let a lot go with how bad that system is. If I could get a series x portable that also plugs into my tv pfffft game over

Adding onto this if sony just made another ps vita that lets say plays ps 5 games at low rez and doesnt play ps6 games I dont think it takes off. Even if you could play a game on the vita 2 then play it on the console i feel like it would be a pain in the ass. Xbox would make going from a portable to a console easy just like they do with other stuff now. id prefer the hybrid and would be ok if it took a hit to power as long as games were series x quality. who knows. exciting times ahead

10 posts were split to a new topic: Deviation Games closes studio

https://x.com/stephentotilo/status/1766260957678821710?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

11 Likes

Not sure if anyone here follows boxing but dammm… that was one monster KO from AJ tonight, it really does put Fury’s performance against Ngannou in question.

2 Likes

I don’t remember but neat to see WWE advertises the game using Xbox consoles. Don’t think there’s any marketing, but showing the platform gave presence in the show.

Sounds like what they did to No man’s Sky. Right now, it seems it’s Xbox through Game pass giving second life to a lot of IPs like Yakuza and Persona series.

The ones I know and that were mentioned seems pretty well to me. Mind you I’m thinking those that are at least working on triple A games like Humanoid studios(Casey Hudson’s studio),Archetype, Maverick.

Cool but will they stick with working with Sony again or go multiplat like they originally were before Sony came over. Then there is still Lost Soul Aside which has been in development for over 7 years now. I just don’t think the collaborations are helping the devs.

I think Shawn Layden gives a pretty good insigth to what’s happening in the gaming industry (similar to the one with Peter Moore posted this morning) Specially in the latter sections:

The demise of the industry has been predicted so many times in the last 20 years that it’s almost a joke. We’re fine. I don’t want to sound like a broken record, because I’ve been saying this for five years, but it’s the rising cost of development. That’s the existential threat. It’s not “live service gaming is tricky” or anything else. When we’re in the $250-300 million to make a game world…

I’m giving a talk about this tomorrow at Stanford. Gaming is reaching its cathedral moment. There was a world hundreds of years ago where they built cathedrals, massive edifices to God, throughout Europe and around the world. Eventually, indentured labor only takes you so far. Then it stopped. It became prohibitively time-consuming and expensive. They were wonderful and beautiful. You can look at any of them across Europe and think, “That’s a marvel.” But we don’t make them anymore. We don’t make them because the math doesn’t work. If you have four walls and a roof, you can call it a church, and God will come visit. You don’t need the cathedral anymore.

I’m afraid that we’ve bought into the triple-A, 80 hours of gameplay, 50 gigabytes of game, and if we can’t reach that then we can’t do anything. I’m hoping for a return of double-A gaming. I’m all for that.

Granted, I’m an old man. We have our own nostalgia. But I look back at the PS2 era, and there was so much variety. You had God of War and Assassin’s Creed. But you also had Loco Roco and SingStar and Dance Dance Revolution. You had this entire spectrum of entertainment opportunities. At $7-12 million a throw, why not make a bet and see what happens? Katamari Damacy, for Christ’s sake, you couldn’t get that built today because you can’t even explain what it is. But now, when every bet is triple-digit millions, risk tolerance is super low. You end up with copycats and sequels and not much more.

I think the analogy he makes between making games and building cathedrals is great.

7 Likes

It definetelt isnt helping Square Enix thats for sure.

2 Likes

Curious on the sale of FF7R. I don’t remember how long it took for 16 to announce theirs.

I think xbox was able to get marketing for WWE 2K24. So far, they’ve only shown wrestlers playing the game on xbox

Bars

Toriyama’s passing hit hard. I started watching Dragonball in the early 90’s. It was a huge part of my childhood (and many others) especially when it came to art, his work on not just DBZ but Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest and Tobal no 1 etc…

Famous artists, animators and other Mangaka were heavily influenced by this man’s work. You don’t have stuff like Naruto and One Piece without Dragonball. Also a disturbing amount of influential creators have been passing in the last few years. Monkey Punch, Kentaro Muira, Juan Gimenez , Kim Jung Gi, now Toriyama of all people. ugh…

Whomever said that don’t know shit about Vanillaware.

1 Like

It’s just funny because when Square was slowly returning to Xbox, people thought Square is throwing games half assed like that Dragon Quest Dai game. People here speculated that they’re there to sabotage itself. So it’s my joke reference that this is Vanillaware Xbox debut and ended up making a stellar game.

1 Like

lol

this guy is one of the founding fathers of the 200+ million $ games and exploding budgets

6 Likes

6 Likes