Deviation Games closes studio

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1766265508809089143?t=bTaFzQuF_BGSbK5hKhv-uw&s=19

6 Likes

Sony invested and pulled back to let it die. Vintage.

4 Likes

I think this is the fate of most newly created studio in these past 4 years. Dont know why anyone thought it was a good idea to go create new studios with how volatile the industry has become.

I fear for those studios that were created by ex-playground games devs

I don’t think so. I haven’t heard any newly created studio other than maybe those acquired closing most of them are also multiplatform which creates a better safety net imo. Sony’s model just isn’t working anymore, and I feel for those that are in with them. let’s see how Stellar Blade does.

Nah, there’s been at least a handful that are in bad shape and/or closed down. It’s just kinda done unceremoniously with founders leaving and people looking for work.

Sony gave them confidence and then bailed. Acquire or get lost.

2 Likes

We’ll see but I think they’ll be OK. The one especially was from someone who had helped found Playground so he has the experience and honestly he probably was a shareholder who got money from the sale to Microsoft. They both seem to be doing OK though.

4 Likes

Stellar Blade devs(Shift Up) have Nikke to fall back on, so I think they will be ok even if the game doesn’t get the reception/sales they hope for out the gate.

1 Like

I once recalled Deviation to be the “answer” to CoD Xbox during the early stage of acquisition. This is from fans of course. So much for that. I know it’s bad timing, but I just want to throw it out there.

1 Like

Confirmed from former Chief HR and Operations Officer (CHR/COO) and Reposted by DeviationGames LinkedIn account:

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closure of Deviation Games. I want to express my deepest gratitude to our entire team. Thank you for all your hard work, dedication, and contributions to Deviation; I’m incredibly grateful for the opportunity to have worked with each and every one of you.

To the entire video game industry, we will be hosting a networking event, and we would love for any/all companies/studios hiring to participate. Please reach out to me directly if you are interested in attending.

To all the Deviators out there, we will always cherish the memories we made together. Thank you for being a part of our journey. Go get 'em!

LinkedIn Post @ Kriste Stull on LinkedIn: It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closure of Deviation Games… | 35 comments

3 Likes

Damn. They never got the chance. I hope they found passion to work elsewhere.

I suppose Concord will now be that.

I hope they don’t get scrutinized for not living up to expectations. Anything is possible, so time will tell.

I got to admit, the media isn’t sugar coating the headline by reminding everyone that this is PlayStation-backed studio. Fair is fair when it comes to other platform.

1 Like

Sucks to see a studio close before releasing or even revealing a game. It makes me wonder, was the development going that badly? Or were the reasons for closure separate from whatever the game was or wasn’t? And in that case, why did this studio start up in the first place?

Sidenote: I find it incredibly cruel how Sony’s fanbase hyped this studio up but now that they are closing they think they have always been worthless.

13 Likes

Sony cancelled the game, they did layoffs shortly after, and now a few months later they are closed.

1 Like

Can’t be true cause we know everything Sony does turns to gold right? Layoffs and studio closures are pretty much the only news coming Sony or Sony related ventures like this these days.

Good thing for Sony the media and gamers ignore this shit and never hold them accountable

8 Likes

There’s actually been a few like this!

Firewalk was the other one as it was former Infinity Ward Devs, however we haven’t seen much from concord.

The latest one is BulletFarm.

New AAA Studio From Ex-COD Devs Making "Intimate" Co-op FPS.