XboxEra Community Hangout |OT11| It Goes To 11!

Sheeeeesh!

https://x.com/lmk_nathan42915/status/1737508523569742017?s=20

4 Likes

Now it just did. What a wild year.

good riddance

7 Likes

My GOTY, better than From

Let’s say Xbox releases a new console in 2026 (with these made up specs: zen 6 cpu, RDNA 4 or 5, 32GB GDDR7 VRAM, AI upscaling hardware etc.) would Xbox really have an “early release advantage?” I can’t imagine Sony (hyper aware of whatever MS does and would certainly know about these specs well before release) would let MS have a head start on the next generation more than 9 months PS5 Pro be damned.

“Hyper aware of whatever Xbox does” - yet caught off guard many times. These are very closely guarded things.

I think if they were going to pivot, the PS5 Pro would likely just never see the light of day. More likely they’d be comfortable with the Pro and look forward to taking the power advantage 2 years later.

You live there? :eyes:

My general rule for Florida is that anything is possible in Florida. :smile:

These things take literally years to come to fruition. If any of this is true, then Sony would have to start right now on making the PS6. I’m sure they’re already working on it in some capacity, but unless they are ready to commit to design and hardware right now, then I don’t see how they could have something out in 2026.

I don’t believe any of the rumors about a new Xbox in 2026 though.

3 Likes

This is crazy despite Insomniac making record sales for Sony they are planning on cutting between 50 and 75 jobs at the studio in addition Sony is also planning to close one of their studios

This was from November this year

“ A more recent presentation in November points to potentially more drastic cuts. “Slimming down Ratchet and cutting new IP will not account for the reductions Sony is looking for,” reads a PowerPoint note attributed to Insomniac head Ted Price. “To remove 50-75 people strategically, our best option is to cut deeply into Wolverine and Spider-Man 3 , replacing lower performers with team members from Ratchet and new IP.””

“Business plans change, and Sony would not confirm if the discussed cuts are still on the table or already completed. But a notes file referencing a November 9 PlayStation off-site meeting reiterates the 50-75 number of cuts. The notes suggest the cuts are being asked of other PlayStation studios as well, including the line “there will be one studio closure.” Sony did not respond when asked to clarify.”

5 Likes

Assuming Sony does release in 2028…kinda

#1) Microsoft is estimating Xcloud subscribers to be 40m by 2030+, this is before ABK was taken into consideration.

#2) Assume they sell around 20m by PS6 launch.

In aggregate, thats 60m install base vs 30 by 2030. It will tip the scales a bit for sure.

#3) I doubt with Sonys profit margins they could create a console in excess of a 2026 Xbox.

The PS5 is 30% weaker than Series X. Same price. Same release date. Can Sony afford it? If so, why is the PS5 weaker?

#4) Even if they could, I know Sony cannot afford to make big games that arent cross gen. They havent exactly believed in generations like they said and games arent going to be cheaper to make in 2028.

Nope. It’s just Florida tends to be the place where wild things do happen.

3 Likes

The thing is I’m sure they are doing this along with the PS5 Pro.

1 Like

Sony’s a weird company, so I don’t think it’s impossible. I just don’t see Sony and MS starting a new gen that early. I hope they do though.

Maybe because like 30% of that goes to Disney apparently… It’s insane

Everything Sony does feels like it geared to and nothing but console hardware sales

Doesn’t matter if they spend a metric shit ton on marketing, Disney licensing costs or just insane budgets, margins are irrelevant as long as the console is selling

It feels very short-medium term focused vs long term

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1737578064543109352?t=6_dQUlXrt_8s_uYeMPnICA&s=19

1 Like

Sounds like a good reason to hire Bobby Kottick or bring him in as an advisor. This would have regulatory winds and Bobby has the experience navigating them.

1 Like

The word of mouth is really positive, I played the demo and loved it. Definitely an amazing feat for the team to be this successful in such a difficult sub-genre/type of action-rpg in their first try.

Also now that we are talking about Lies of P Game Pass had such an amazing year with so much high quality content, I feel that right now Xbox is at their all time peak as a platform, never being happier to be a part of this ecosystem and I am a big fan since the OG Xbox.

3 Likes

WBD’s market value was around $29 billion as of Wednesday, while Paramount’s was just over $10 billion…

Man… As someone who’s always considered himself a movie lover first and gamer second, and who don’t really pay much attention to this kind of corporate valuation, this puts the $69 billion for Activision into a new perspective for me.